Enhanced Senses

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Vessboy, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

With the new scout being more heavily designed toward infiltration, I want enhanced senses to paint nearby targets like it used to. Sorta like an engi camera was glued to your helmet. Suited the sneaking scout very well. But It should still show things on the mini map for friendly s.

In this way the player gets his self rewarding skill that puts him up close. and Inevitably Makes him actually scout for the team.

Pros:
    -Promotes front line scouting with individual incentive
    -suits the new "close combat" scout

Cons:
    -(Dependant on perception range) May be to advantageous

Alternatives:
    -A point system for scouting?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  2. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

Ugh, I don't get you scout fanboys, always suggesting buffs and super-awesomeness. I'd bet there are more threads about scouts than minutes of useful scouting ingame.

3. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Yeah, but the reason there are so few minutes of useful scouting ingame is because the current scout, well, sucks. People suggest a lot of fixes for it because it's one of the most obviously problematic parts of the existing game... people might complain about certain weapons or research items or tactics or whatever, but the scout is way beyond that. It's pretty clearly not working as well as the other classes are... and it'd be nice to have four classes to choose from instead of (most of the time) just three.

On top of this, the scoped rifle is being taken out. There's plenty of good reasons for it, and I agree it's a good idea, but that's going to leave the scout with even less of a role (even if it's replaced with a decent weapon, it's going to leave the scout with fewer 'unique' capabilities, since the Rifleman already has infantry combat covered.) It needs something to replace it, something that actually adds to the game in a way sniping never did. So this is a good time to be making scout suggestions, overall... I think almost everyone agrees it's going to need to be heavily retooled at some point.

You should take all these scout suggestions in that light; I don't think anyone would think we should give all of them to the scout (and some existing abilities might get taken away to make room), but overall it's good to have a lot of ideas to draw on for when the scout is redesigned.

4. Demented

Demented Member

This one's a nice scout-y suggestion.
    It gives a nice reason for having a scout a little forward of the rest of the group if he has enhanced senses.
    "Get to it you pansy!"
    "But, but, there might be enemies!"
    "That's the point, maggot!"

5. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

besides it was a removed feature to an existing skill. And no one uses that skill any more. Fix it to this and players will want it. And their teams will get mini map intell of enemy positions. It's a win win really.

It's like taping a gps to a emp recruit and saying find bad guys. Then have artillery shell his position...

again win win

6. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

It would turn the scout into a "squad pointman", and i honestly believe this is a good direction for the scout, his shotgun could deal off with any direct intruders in his radar field and relay targets to the squad captain

conclusion: i like vessboys idea very very much, good thinking vessboy!

7. arklansman

arklansman Member

I believe this is going to happen.

8. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

Yay!

This is probably the most important thing that needs to be added to make scouts useful especially for team play.

I would prefer it be given to scouts as standard without needing an upgrade however, so that the scout is still useful to the team even if he has picked other skills and insists on beng useless.

9. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Perfect solution imo for the enhanced senses would be:

Draw all hidden aka behind cover enemys.
    Draw them with a different texture (with a nice shader :) )
    Draw the enemy arrows on the minimap for the whole team.

10. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Am I the only one who thinks this might be a little over powered? Can you make it take up 2 skill slots? :p

11. arklansman

arklansman Member

It'll be just like a camera...and it'll be easier to kill!

HEYOOOOOOOOOO

12. Empty

Empty Member

God damn scouts watching us! >:o

13. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

I dunno. We already have:

* Cheap, easy-to-construct engineer sensors
    * Completely free comm targeting
    * Completely free 'enemy spotted' targeting
    * Completely free squad leader targeting.

All those do essentially the same thing (although the last two do at least require someone else on your team spot the enemy, and are rarely used because there's no easy key for them.)

Given that the scout is, well, the scout, they really ought to have the best option for enemy-finding, enemy-exposing, and wallhax... but they don't. So we can either remove/limit some of the above, or buff the scout's wallhax, or both.

Oh! That reminds me, here's another idea: A 'satellite sweep' scout squad power that reveals every enemy in a wide area for a period of time (perfectly, like comm targeting) would be very useful, especially when combined with smoke (it could even just use the existing squad-leader-attack-order system to give your squad attack orders for every nearby enemy.) Although neither of the scout's current squad powers are entirely useless, so I don't know which it would replace...

And the comm can do it already.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  14. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Both. Definitely. The com no longer has to paint targets for dumb infantry. and Scouts have that purpose.
    BTW arrows on map should be smaller symbols.

15. arklansman

arklansman Member

That's just an upgraded version of the radar skill(can't remember the name :P ) anyway.

16. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Maybe if an ally is within 10 ft He also sees the enemy's painted in real view. So the scout is valuable near the squad as well.

17. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

...I thought that that's what this suggestion was. :p

But anyway, yes, I agree with that. Having scouts work as walking, talking radar/cameras for their whole team would definitely add to their usefulness. Although it might be a bit powerful when combined with smoke (toss smoke, lead team in and kill the blinded enemies who is now completely revealed to you and your allies.)

In fact, perhaps a squad power that just throws down a longer-lasting, larger-area cloud of smoke would work best with this...

Remember, cameras die to small arms fire, too. And they don't dodge, hide, or shoot back... or throw down their own smoke to protect themselves, from hiding, then dodge while shooting back.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  18. arklansman

arklansman Member

Wow...just wow.

19. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Wow good or wow bad?

20. FocusedWolf

FocusedWolf Member

Ya this sorta doesn't make sense at all with the shotgun.

Example: binoculars and i can point out tanks to my team... i do this alot in game.

So just give scouts ability to point out infantry with binoculars. Make it so if you see them in binoculars that their flagged on the map like vehicles are.

I don't see the point of a shotgun at all. I mean nowadays it's given to people that aren't likely to do any shooting at all... like engineers. (play insurgency... the engineer has 2 smoke grenades and a shotgun and he never ever attacks an enemy head on unless their 3 ft away... else he's just asking to get shot)

The sniper rifle made sense... scout is using binoculars so he's far away... so give him a weapon that shoots far away.

Only thing that needs to be added is a way for scouts to shoot out cameras and turrets and missle launchers and sabotage enemy buildings by shooting them. Then they will have a unique ability that no other team member can do, and it's realistic. i.e. an anti material rifle http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-materiel_rifle

Or you know... you can totally nerf the shit out of this game and make scouts totally useless. I.e. just give the rifleman shotguns and watch how people always choose a full auto perfectly accurate smg or scout rifle.

http://www.honvedelem.hu/galleries/127/koszovo_008.jpg
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/88/USMC_Barrett_M82A3.jpg

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008