Engineer radars block cameras

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Lazybum, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Simple, for either the same radius as a camera or half the radius, the engy radar blocks the other teams camera instead of showing vehicles. It gives the radar a useful purpose, engys have to decide on giving targets or preventing targets, and potentially more fun stuff. Should also probably change the name to jammer, considering that's what it would be doing.

If you don't quite like the idea of it completely blocking cameras, you could make it disable those diamonds but still let people see you on the minimap.

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

good one, engi radar is pretty much useless anyway

3. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

ohh ecm warfare? This could be awesome. Make it counter enemy radars too perhaps even the main radar?

[​IMG]

4. flasche

so you put a radar next to a camera and it cancels the radar canceling the camera? and what if the enemy has the same? cancelception :eek:

5. ViroMan

well only higher level engys can afford two units. Otherwise you would have to ask a fellow member to put one down.

6. Trainzack

Trainzack Member

If you put two cameras in one area and the enemy puts down one radar, does that have the same effect as one camera?

7. Lazybum

Not sure about canceling the other radar, it's gonna get confusing. Or rather, people will always just plop a radar right next to their camera and nothing will really change...

As I was thinking about it, what this suggestion is kinda doing is making cameras more defensive, you can't really use them to assault a place while having targets constantly. Yet you can still see enemy in your base, trying to get behind your lines. This is assuming you made the radar range half a camera range.

If you did make it full range it might be better to go with viroman's idea, though I do worry about it getting confusing. Part of the problem is you don't really have a good indication if you are actually canceling the enemy radar and everyone can see everyone. Keeping it simple just guarantees you know the enemy can't see certain spots regardless of what they do.

8. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I like it. Reminds me of a suggestion I made way back, but this is probably better.

The question is whether comm targets would be affected or not. And also what effect it'd have on the minimap - would all the information in an area disappear, all the friendly information in an area be camouflaged (to the enemy), or nothing at all?

Also, what's the impact for a base-defence camera? Would you want to switch it to give commanders some immunity? Give the comm some tools to replace a base camera (maybe a ping system), or simply leave it alone?

9. Lazybum

It wouldn't make any sense to affect comm targets, you can only do one at a time and the commander isn't available all the time to give targets either.

I think for simplicity the effects wouldn't change with regards to base stuff. I mean this also gives ninjas another tool in way, which isn't terrible because it should pop up on the minimap while they build it, giving the commander or anyone near by a very temporary warning that somethings up.

Minimap could go any way really. I know at minimum I want these jammers to block the orange motion sensing diamonds, what most people really get out of cameras. I don't think it makes sense to block all info if I'm reading you right, to simply make friendly and enemy stuff disappear. That just seems like greifing to me.

10. flasche

yes the minimap got sabotaged and no engi cares to fix.

11. ViroMan

It would be kinda cool if they put a large "fog of war" on the enemy minimap. :)

12. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

I dont know if adding more stuf to the already incredibly glitchy AND cluttered minimap is such a great idea.

13. ViroMan

your not adding more... just blanking out a part of the map. The com can still see the map but everything under that radar including buildings would no longer show up as existing there. I would find it hilarious to place 3 of them within the enemy main base and watch him freak out thinking main was wiped out. But I get the jist of what you are saying. Adding more things for the mini map to do is just asking for trouble.

14. Lazybum

Just out of curiosity, is this idea actually possible? No one really objected to it.

15. OuNin

OuNin Member

I like the idea of making the minimap have more meaningful use than currently. like right now everything is kind of roughly written but if camera radii and radar radii were knowable via drawn radii in the minimap and as AR, dynamics of overlapping camera/radar zones would be interesting

if possible, I would recommend that the delay in showing a unit differ with respect to enemy unit proximity to your camera as well as the enemy radar

not into total negation but I like the idea of these dynamics