Engineer AI

Discussion in 'Coding' started by duke, Oct 5, 2017.

1. duke

duke Former Developer (BE Creator)

Here's what the Engineer AI does so far. Should I be adding anything? Note that a Sequence performs one after the other, and Selector performs all regardless of whether the previous is complete.

[​IMG]

2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Because it's an engineer maybe it should plop down walls when it first sees an enemy then engage. It's basically what I do when I engy at least. I don't know how you are dealing with cover in this though, so unless they actually use it walls might just end up clogging things up or become a nuisance for the team. I also don't know if engys will have that ability, or at least if bots will, so this might be a moot post.

Actually, what's the limit of these engy bots? Are they basically the same loadout as players to fill in low pop servers or larger battlefields or super basic bots comms can buy?

D.D.D. Destroyer likes this.
  3. duke

At the moment they're to fill up servers, so they'll disappear as people join.

4. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

You missed out one very important thing.

For "HasUnbuiltBuildingInRange",
    YOU DON'T WANT THESE ENGI BOTS TO BUILD EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF WALL THEY SEE.

Sorry for caps but that's how important it is.

In most of the cases, we drop walls to provide partial cover, we don't want to build the walls.

I would personally choke the bot to death if he builds the very piece of wall that I intend to use as a cover.

Also, unless you don't want the bots to be too smart, or too effective, you can add a few random move commands (duck,strafe..etc) when they are firing at the enemies.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  5. duke

They'll always crouch when firing if possible, and yeah i'll exclude walls from the UnbuiltBuildings check.

6. -=[Combine Soldier #43]=-

-=[Combine Soldier #43]=- Member

Looks pretty good imo, but how will ai engies react to enemy vehicles? If they won't build walls and turrets, they should probably atleast not walk into them or waste bullets shooting a tank.

7. duke

Good point on avoiding armor. They should get out of the way of friendly armor too.

8. -=[Combine Soldier #43]=-

-=[Combine Soldier #43]=- Member

I'm a little confused about the HasUnoccupiedOrEnemyRefInRange part, if he sees an enemy ref, will he just shoot at it? or throw nades? there is just no choose weapon box, like for detecting enemy. and what if he runs out of nades? will the engi proceed to finish the ref of with his calculator? or put down an ammo crate to refill? Also, what about just seeing enemy buildings or turrets?

9. Ranger

Ranger Member

PlaceAmmoBoxNearPlayerIfRequestPlayerInRangeOrSomething when players ask for ammo in bot's range of effect. Make sure to not have 50 engineer bots place 50 ammo boxes. And bots don't stop trying to drop ammo before they actually drop it for the specific player etc.

Imagine 50 bots running and dying trying to get an ammo box to security who waits behind a wall in the front lines in canyon. It's ww1 all over again

10. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

This reminds me, how are you handling friendly fire? As in is it going to be there at all or what? With the way people drive even if they had the best tank dodging ai ever empire players will hit these engys every time.

11. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

It would be nice to at least have the option for friendly fire.

12. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

Will the AI be able to competently control vehicles?

Like knowing how to flank and protect sides of the tank where armor has been depleted, or retreat to repairpad?

13. Ranger

Ranger Member

It's infantry only

Go on and waste resources on bot tank drivers kek

14. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

So basically the infantry will be cannon fodder for enemy tanks?

Hey I am not mad at free points :)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017