Engine Heat Whilst Driving

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Grantrithor, Jan 20, 2013.

?

Do you like engine heat from driving?

1. Yes

38.5%
  2. No

61.5%
  1. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Who here hates this and who here loves this?

Personally, I think it makes absolutely no sense why an engine would overheat simply from driving. Like what happened, did the radiator break or is the coolant leaking? I want to know what everyone else's opinion is on this.

I understand engines get hot from driving, I drive a car myself, but I've never heard of a case where someone's engine overheated on them because they were driving for more than 30 minutes, and not just that, but it's also not fun to take a penalty from something so mundane as moving from point a to point b.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  2. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

It only happens with advanced coolant, iirc, and it's used to make it unique: sort of like a wonderful snowflake.

Incidentally, fission cools down whilst moving, which I like. I wish commanders would research physics more often.

So regarding my vote, I would vote "yes" for engine heat while driving, but only for advanced coolant.

3. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Advanced coolant does heat up whilst driving (though vehicle cooling nullifies or significantly offsets this effect) But when you are not on the gas it cools super quick. So you can coast & rotate and still get really fast cooling - I find it a good challenge to drive with. I think the secret with it is not to advance too quickly because you probably won't be able to retreat.

So it is a great engine for big, slow firepower. But it sucks for rushes and close tank encounters.

4. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

It goes a long way to diversifying the engines and nerfing chem. Like any other Jekotian, I love me some Coolant/Absorb UML boats, but even I can admit that the tree was kinda OP.

5. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Well an engine that prides itself on being the coldest engine in game (it has THE advanced coolant everyone's been talking about) shouldn't overheat on driving. I understand how It's a siege tank, so it makes sense that it cools faster while stationary, but honestly heat from driving is a joke. It's cool that fission reactor is now a hit and run engine for those pesky LTs to use, but wait a second, don't fission reactors operate on making an extreme amount of heat? Maybe the engines could use new names.

6. ImSpartacus

We're playing a game where the mortar is an excellent close range anti-infantry weapon for mobile grenadiers. Why are we surprised about this engine naming scheme?

7. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Coolant overheats whilst driving. It has (by far) the best cooling in the game, when stationary. I'd love to give it no cooling whilst driving, but giving it a very small overheat seems to be the most intuitive way of getting it across to most drivers how the engine works. And as Hexi said, Fission works the opposite way, except I don't have it overheat whilst stationary because if you ever overheated whilst stationary, you'd probably get stuck there.

Basically, it's called diversification, and you'll grow to love it. Until then, tough shit.

8. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Can somebody post a list on the best circumstance to use certain engines, and armors?

Because like on maps like crossroads I use advance coolant because its very cramped, tank battles will consist of stationary firing.
    Where on large open maps like dust storm, gas turbine or 3phase works good for tank battles on the go.

9. ImSpartacus

As a quick and dirty policy:

Biodiesel for Nukes and other hot, slow-firing weapons.

Fission for DU and other hot, fast-firing weapons.

Coolant for camping like a fucking asshole.

3phase for medium heat weapons where speed is important.

Turbine for medium heat weapons where getting up sharp inclines is important.

10. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Fission for big areas

AC for chokepoints

Seriously, all 3-phase has is speed and either you're in an area big enough to take advantage of Fission's cooling or you're in an area too small to worry about speed.

If you know how to use your weapons right, Bio is useless. It's great that you can move while overheated, but that's kinda' useless if you can't actually fight back.

I suppose Turbine is just mediocre. Nothing good about it, nothing bad about it. The kind of engine you get when you just need an engine but don't want to pick a more situational type of engine.

11. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Yea, i feel like while fission is considered good (i still turn around and slide wiht it, its most definately not lag/ping/whatever related) it makes everything crap in comparison. If you remember to not stop and the enemy doesnt have plasma -and they will never fucking have plasma becasue its utter shit- you will hold an edge over anyone with bio,3p or trombone.

12. ImSpartacus

Dude, I love the Fission's ability to whip your front end around in a tight radius. That's a feature, not a weakness. If I'm in an APC and my front gets damaged, I can spin around to let them pound my ass instead.

13. Reznov

Reznov Member

... really? What about dual HE tanks or nuke tanks? You overheat easily if you are trying to take out a target quickly (even with engineer coolant). Bio diesel is best if you are going for nukes or dual HE heavies (or anything which generates lots of heat and is a slow single fire weapon).

I know fire-rate is kind of slowed down because of the cool-down process but it just decreases the fire-rate about 1-2 seconds and you can still move! Also it is a faster engine than advanced coolant and it doesn't generate heat.

14. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I was suprised to find that as NF full Bio heavies actually work.
    I think we were vs absorbant armour on SoF.

15. ImSpartacus

Not for Nukes.

If you're running a pure nuke tank, then you'll never be stopped from firing. Even if you manage to overheat it. It will get below overheated by the time you would want to fire again. So in a bio nuke tank, it doesn't matter if you're 5 heat from overheated or 50 heat from overheated. It's all the same. That's why biodiesel is perfect for nukes.

16. Neoony

Neoony Member

I really like how engines are now unique, including the adv. coolant. So I voted yes. Everything I wanted to say was already said in this thread by those who like these new engines. I agree.

17. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Seriously the heat system needs to effect weapons and health only not engines. Switch overheat to causing hull dmg instead of causing a stall.

18. Reznov

Reznov Member

Cancer engine. Viroman approves.

19. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

If you're running a pure nuke tank, yeah it's great. If you want to put almost any other weapon on your tank though with your nuke, it's useless. Fission and AC will have a tank fully cooled by the time you can shoot another nuke, Bio would've barely even started. With fission, you can also fire an HE cannon almost nonstop along with the nuke without overheating, and a bit less so with AC.

With a dual HE tank, Fission allows non-stop firing, again AC less so. A nuke-only tank is pretty much the only situation where Bio Diesel is the best, and even then only barely. You can easily add other weapons on the tank with next to no downsides by using AC or Fission.

Also, you can still move while overheated with Fission. It has less much less acceleration while overheated, but it actually still has the same top speed as when not overheated.

20. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

It's only good for attacking.
    When you are under attack, LOL.