Enemy Vehicle Stealing

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by newguy, Feb 19, 2008.

1. newguy

newguy Member

I think a new ability that could be added in Empires is the ability to take vehicles from the opposing team if left unmanned. The player could walk up to it, hold the 'use' key and the vehicle will become unlocked and available for that player to take. I'm not too sure which class this should be for, although it may be most logical if the Scout class received this due to his sneakiness.

What do you think?

Read further on, a new idea has been thought of by the community.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  2. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Already been suggested, carefully abandoned and detonated with a tactical nuke.

Sorry :(

3. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

This again?

How did newguy make it to senior member without knowing? The system is failing around us!

4. Caelo

Caelo Member

someone should change the minimum "post"/"time registered" requirements

5. newguy

newguy Member

j00 meen sum1 rekwested dis olredy? i did n0t noes!!1

i r senior memb3r :headshot:

6. Zehtuka

Zehtuka Member

Why not get a research for it?

7. petemyster

petemyster Member

i don't see whats wrong with this idea :D

Maybe you should have a steal CV skill, and a hydraulic piston skill. All for scouts, so you can sneak into the enemy base, capture the cv, activate a uber piston and send the CV into the air flipping it on its roof and winning the battle! That would give the scouts a purpose :P

8. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Didn't you read Beerdude's post? this idea was discussed before, and wasn't considered to be good. Just leave it at that.

9. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Here's a quick rundown of past threads. I'm a bit surprised... it isn't really as shouted down in earlier threads as you'd think. Krenzo seems to have been willing to entertain the idea enough to give a detailed reason why he decided against it. Mostly, I think people started shouting it down later on because there's not much point in continuing to discuss something Krenzo has officially shot down. (Although there are real serious problems with the idea itself, which are mentioned in these threads and I'll summarize at the bottom.)

Stealing (This seems to be the earliest mention on this forum, and gets the most serious discussion; some people are even in favor of it.)

Hijacking

Vehicle Hijacking (Thread started by Krenzo, explaining why he's continually decided not to add it.)

Stealing verhicles?

Stealing enemy tanks...

I don't think we should agree to never discuss it, or auto-lock every thread on the subject... but if you want to bring it up, read all those threads first, and come up with answers to all the problems (especially, you'll need a reason why it needs to be done despite all the problems it causes -- what does it add? Just solving the problems isn't enough.)

The biggest problem is how chaotic it makes things to have a tank that looks like it's on your own team shooting at you. Empires doesn't even have disguises for the scout; adding 'spy tanks' which look like they're on your team would cause massive problems and require huge amounts of changes to deal with them, both to gameplay and strategy. Imagine how easy it'd be to ninja someone using a tank that looks like it's on their side, say -- even if you show up as an enemy on the minimap or when an attack order is given against you, most people won't notice.

You need a solution for that first, or at least a reason why it wouldn't be a problem. Good luck with that.

(Another major issue is how arbitrary it is -- finding an abandoned vehicle is basically luck. But the confusion caused by friendly-looking tanks is the major issue, I think.)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  10. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

IIRC, even Krenzo didn't want it.

11. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Well, yes (I have a link to the post where he defends his decision above, although I don't know if that's the only time he's mentioned it on the forums -- it'd be good to have a list of all the times it's been shot down for replying to these threads with.) But he thought it was worth replying to specifically, which I thought was interesting... most bad ideas don't get replies.

Probably that's just because it comes up so often, though.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  12. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

He posted that thread before the surge of new suggestions after V2.0's release, when he still looked at most threads.

13. newguy

newguy Member

I read those threads you provided. Thanks for the links Aquillion.

Okay, so Krenzo quoted from an Enemy Territory: Quake Wars interview that it would not add anything to the game and it would be confusing.

Alright, well Empires isn't a mod which focuses on realism so how about when you unlock an enemy vehicle it changes shape and appearance so that it looks exactly like your own tank. Example: you find an enemy heavy tank laying around so you unlock it and it changes appearance to look like your own team's heavy tank.
    Confusion gone.

This would add to the game since people wouldn't spam vehicles or leave them lying around in case the enemy gets hold of it. Also, it makes the Scout class more useful.

14. Caelo

Caelo Member

I'd rather have everyone be able to remove the tank completely after pressing "e" for 120 sec.. (empty tank that is)

15. Chahk

Chahk Member

Forget vehicle hijacking. Give the Scout an ability to sabotage enemy vehicles instead. Don't know if that is possible, but scrambling the vehicle controls for 20 seconds or so would be a fun effect.

16. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

We discussed it haveing gass full on when sabatoged

17. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11 Member

I'd say scouts can do it but against Jeeps and APC's and Light Tanks only. Should take about 10 seconds of holding 'use'.

18. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

10 seconds! A single second is long enough when you are standing next to a tank...

Heres a fun sabotage: The controlles get mixed up and turret axis is inverted; if you just get int you will be confused but you have a chance of "Adapting" to it and making some use of the tank..

19. newguy

newguy Member

I quite like this idea of messing up the mechanics of the vehicle. Possibly when it's sabotaged the vehicle overheats very quickly and can't move far without it overheating.

20. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

bad idea. too many scouts would sab from the front of the tank...