"Empiresmod.com" is pathetic

Discussion in 'General' started by Varbles, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

Let's be honest here, the main site is absolutely terrible. On first glance, it looks like one of those splash sites for unused domains, take a closer look and it looks like a shitty blog, and when you go through and read it all it still doesn't seem like the website for a game.

The new Drupal looks bad but it isn't the source of the problem. The problem is the fact that all the blog posts are either about fake achievements or inane shit, and there's barely anything on the whole page that indicates 'Empires' is actually a game. Look at the main sites for games like PR or Minecraft, as soon as you load the page you can tell what you're looking at. Empiresmod.com is the face of empires to new players, along with the Steam and ModDB page (which both need a shitload of work too), and it shouldn't be as pathetic as it is right now. It's not like it needs to be overhauled to make it better, just simple things, like let mappers post WIP screenshots of maps, or have a screenshot contest and post the results on the blog. Maybe replace that shitty 'EMPIRES' text logo with something more interesting/representative of the mod.

Somebody do something about it, or give the power to someone who will do something.

I'm sick of "it's not a priority right now" being an excuse for leaving important aspects of the mod to rot. We've got a community with plenty of people who can and will help, we just need a dev team that will let us.

2. Combat Wombat

Combat Wombat Member

Well minecraft site sucks donkey balls its looked the same for like 2 years. Even if there isn't official empires news we need to be posting pics of 3rd party maps that don't blow, making up shit and whatnot. Looking at the site looks like it belongs to a dead mod that is vaporware because there aren't even any screenshots.

things we can put in news even if they arent news about the mod per-se:
    3rd party map screenshots
    dev interviews
    cat pictures

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  3. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

I was happily chugging along making a testimonial block but the FTP server is being annoying.

In any case, users (different from forums) are now able to make a testimonial. Your testimonial won't show up by default, it has to be approved first. (And even if it were approved, the overview is not done yet)

4. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Would be nice if it was spruced up with more blog post, but there is 0 activity to post about in those blog post. The links at the right side look pretty web 2.0 though someone should clean those a little.

5. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Cn i interview mootant? I wanna ask him why he's such a *** dev

6. Beerdude26

He's not really an SourceEmpires dev anymore, although he does work on Haskellpires from time to time.

7. Varbles

you have no idea what you're talking about

8. WalMartGreeter

WalMartGreeter Member

You guys are fucking retarded. M00tant has wetdreams more productive than all of you fags combined. Offer simple, effortless solutions or actually contribute to some work.

9. Combat Wombat

Combat Wombat Member

herp derp why dont you contribute to the conversation rather then to our view of how retarded you are

first fucking post

10. WalMartGreeter

WalMartGreeter Member

Conversation? I don't want to add to this bitchfest. To prove my point, lets continue:

Is he suggesting he will be doing it? No. Is any of the non-devs suggesting they will help? No.

This is like almost every suggestion thread. It always starts off with some guy with a "blue sky" idea. Everyone starts to "contribute to the conversation" by giving more suggestions, which would require tons of effort and time but not willing to do anything. The thread usually dies off because ideas get so surreal, no one bothers to take it seriously anymore.

If anyone is really serious about helping the website, don't reply to this thread unless you can actually help out.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  11. Combat Wombat

Combat Wombat Member

He is suggesting he will do it and so am I. And if you don't want to add to this
    "bitchfest" why the hell are you posting anything? Maybe you really are retarded...

12. Varbles

I was hoping we could just give the main site a better look at what Empires is instead of irrelevant blog posts and poor color schemes.

I have some screenshots of WIP maps that would double nicely as both a look at new content for Empires as well as a needed indication of what Empires actually is, and I'm sure there are other mappers with the same.

13. WalMartGreeter

WalMartGreeter Member

As if we haven't heard that yet. We'll see.

14. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

is MOOtant using openGL, or DirectX?

15. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Maybe because this exact same cycle happens every single month where someone's like "I'll turn this mod around!" then absolutely nothing happens. Walmart has been here for a solid 2 years and knows what he's talking about. He's just giving it to you raw.

Not doubting varbles ability or anything, I'm sure he could do the job if he does it.

16. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I'm more than happy at someone doing over the main site. It actually IS a priority, Brutos and I were discussing it for a while, and it's pretty high on the list of things to be done, as well as a discussion regarding upgrading the VBulletin version of this forum. Brutos was in the process of getting the access necessary to work on the site last time I checked, but that was a while ago. If he's no longer looking into doing it now, then by all means speak to him to organise something, because I completely agree with Varbles with respect to the actual website.

17. Varbles

Who owns the actual domain? And iirc the Drupal was kylegar's doing but I may be mistaken

18. Beerdude26

I got access to the website FTP, when I have some time available I'll see what we can change. Varbles, perhaps you can make a mock-up of what you have in mind?

19. FN198

FN198 Member

[​IMG]
    front page material

20. Combat Wombat

Combat Wombat Member

Walmart and people like you are the cause of such cycles. Even when people offer to help all you can do is spew bullshit at them its no wonder people burn out and leave because its just not worth putting up with your juvenile crap. I don't know about varbles but this isn't exactly my first rodeo so 2 years reading a forum isn't exactly an impressive resume when it comes to judging people.