Empires Winter Squad League Game 1; November 28th 21:00 UTC / 22:00 CEST / 16:00 EST / 13:00 PST

Discussion in 'General' started by Lazybum, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Game will be on the November 28th 21:00 UTC / 22:00 CEST / 16:00 EST / 13:00 PST Click for your local time. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclo...=Empires+squad+game+1&iso=20151128T21&p1=1440

Map will be mvalley. Because we are using a slightly different drafting system I want us to play on a time tested map to start off with so we don't have any last minute worries. We may switch to a different map after mvalley depending on how things go, it will be a another stock map, most likely isle. When we switch we will also switch who's commanding, if I have enough commander volunteers, and repick squads. Second pick will definitely go faster for anyone worried about it taking too much time.

Server is Epic. There is a password, it'll get announced on the steam group. I'll also set up the event so it when the event triggers all you have to do is click the join button. Be sure to join the steam group if you haven't already. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/empvetpug#

Neoony likes this.
  2. Catface

Catface Member

I'll be there. :grinimp: (Probably as a floater)

3. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Guys it's really easy to make a squad. Just ask 4 or less friends to play with you. Boom, squad.

4. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

Great seeing EPIC Server having an event :)

5. James

James Overly Annoying Retard

See, if I played the game, I'd be there. xD

6. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

I don't usually like to play scrims or leagues but if anyone wants another squad member I'll join.

7. Lazybum

It's slightly better to think of this as a captain's draft pug, but with a consistent theme and score keeping to help tie the events together. Also less of a captains thing and more of a commander thing.

I keep forgetting to ask around for squaddies. :o

8. Catface

Catface Member

Well, I'm still floating...:unsure:

9. D.D.D. Destroyer

Please explain the thought process behind picking our squad over Security's squad, I still can't think of a single reason for that.

10. Lazybum

I had faith. Or really between the 2 squads I didn't think it was that bad. And I still don't, I';m certain we did poorly on mvalley due to me not being good comm. I'm sorry about that.

I'll update scoreboards and stuff later, I have to do something else. There will be another game, I think next saturday. Probably an hour earlier though, so we actually start on time.

Last thing to all who read this, I was asked to tell people not to go to other servers to get people. This is semi open, and I'm heavily considering making next game open to generate more interest(I was rather surprised by not as many vets popping up), but if server is passworded and people are already playing on other servers it isn't a good idea to get those players. At the very least ask a server owner first if you can advertise the league games.

Neoony likes this.
  11. D.D.D. Destroyer

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=564585882

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=564585964

On mvalley, the team had serious issues with coordinating the attack direction. Everyone, and I mean everyone, kept switching frontlines and we ended up zerging around and getting destroyed elsewhere.

On coast, for some reason, two of the three squads we had got the memo and stuck to their frontlines, and then the middle people peaced out to push east and left the middle ripe for the taking. And driving.

And if you make it open, it's no longer a league, just a series of PUGs with really forced drafting. I shudder to think of the organisational problems.

12. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Cake squad last pick. :D

13. Lazybum

Real quick, on coast Mr x told charlie to get tanks and push east and have alpha(I think) go mid to hold it mostly I think. So we did. I saw what was happening to our main, but we were just about to do the same to their's and it felt like it was a push we should keep with. Then like 4 apcs with hemg popped up and murdered our lights, oops.

About next one being open, it would only be one. I gave it a mention in the game that I felt if it was open most of the random players might not want to really bother with the drafting thing, they are going to pick whatever and stick with it. That might be something that's worth the hassle though if it helps boost the consistent player count by 10, so it's at least 30+ players in the league game.

THAT SAID, it's just a consideration. If you and everyone else is fine with more 12-15 a team matches then we can continue with locked servers. Or you can get people to make more squads and join squad league, that'd be cool.

As a last thought, I really was surprised we didn't have random vets pop in, I was almost counting on it due to having 5 squads in play. I was hoping they'd fill in accordingly. During every other pug or scrim there was always around 10 extra players that would just pop in with out ever saying a word, this feels like a first to me. I know spike didn't like the idea of commander draft either, but I have no way of knowing who exactly would actually turn up ahead of time, so I can't just randomize teams before the match. We are sticking to commander draft.

Oh and one more thought, I'd like some feedback on how the team selection went along with the map being changed. Did we like not playing the same map but keeping the same teams? Should we scramble teams when we change maps? Or should we just do one map, change sides, and keep teams? This isn't predetermined scrim teams, so we don't have to follow old scrim rules.

14. D.D.D. Destroyer

You were actually the Second pick, before Amatoxin's squad ;)

IMO, if you are changing maps then the draft should be redone after game 1, and possibly it should begin with which team you choose to play as. A lot of things change on a map-by-map basis, including individual player value. That being said, I believe that sticking to the 2 rounds per map rule is the way to go.

15. Lazybum

Derp, I thought I posted a thing and apparently I didn't. Whoops.

I wanted to say I kinda intended to have a redraft when we switched to coast, but everyone seemed to already switch sides and joined teams. So I thought if that's what you want to do then that's fine. Anyway a part of me is partial to the redraft to help any potential stack problems. I mean if the first game was bad most people don't want to redo it again yeah? But hey, these aren't pre picked teams so this can be decided case by case. If the first game is fair enough then we might as well keep the teams, those types of matches tend to be the best anyway.