Empires rumours and speculations...seeking confirmation.

Discussion in 'General' started by petemyster, May 8, 2008.

1. petemyster

petemyster Member

it keep emp_recuits like me happors

2. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

Don't believe in the progress of the 2.2 version?

Check the Official Empiresmod Test Server #1 today at 7PM GMT.

It has 2.2 on it and at that time it should have all the time more and more players playing on it and testing the 2.2.

When 2.0 got released people wanted to enjoy at the game and take a break. Now things have changed and the testers are also getting back to their work, testing the 2.2 and today should be the first time after the release of 2.0 when testers are going to start testing the 2.2 seriously and frequently.

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  3. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Testing PUG today, oh shit, I forgot, I'll try to be there.

4. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Wrong forum to type that in! Back to Testers with ya!
    And are we really that bad?

So that's why MOOtant got a developer title?

5. thaile

thaile Member

There's no question Empires 2.2 Orange Edition coming out. The question remains about airplanes though.

6. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Hey guys...

Maybe the devs can be nice to the community that wants to know details about the next version of their favorite game and make a locked forum (most BB systems let you do that) where only they post regular (at least once a week) status updates... Almost every open source project has a dev blog so people can find out whats going on...

I know you guys have that "calm down" and "we're working on it" attitude, but no one except the devs and testers like that.

7. arklansman

arklansman Member

There was a giant dev blog thread that has been around since the 1.08 test. There will be a new one started soon. :)

8. Silk

Silk Mapper

Also the idea of a real dev blog has been shot down with valid reasons multiple times. Maybe this will change now, but don't count on it.

Yes it's been silent, but creating empires is just a hobby and takes time. Lot's of things changed internally that will delay things (some things more than others) and introduce new plans. Should a dev blog have mentioned something 2 months ago, most of that should've been seriously altered by now anyway so it would just have given false hope. Like KT sais, there's no point in making stuff public before you're actually far enough with your plans to be sure what the next release will include.

It's not like suddenly all changes are clear and decided upon. Things evolve over time, and you can't go post about everything.

Only one thing is important: work is continuing, and i think the team has grown quite a bit as well

9. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

well,I heard a "rumour" about a guy called Predator,they said that he is so fucking awesome!(I can comfirm it if you want:p )

10. petemyster

petemyster Member

yeah i heard that to, too bad it turned out to be utter bullshit :p

I real dev blog would be nice, updated every 2 weeks, just to let us know what thier doing, even if its stuff like "haven't done anything, have been too busy doing this, that and the other". But that would be too much hassle.

And yes, the real question is will empires survive to 3.0.

Also :p I'd stop making useless threads if i was let into the bet..<BANNED>

11. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

A dev blog may have the wrong kind of connotations, but I think it is a good idea to keep you all updated on what's going on.

Maybe we can put something together that keeps everyone informed and interested as well as limiting wild rumours and expectations.

12. Vader6

Vader6 Member

From what I've, Empires is probably the quietest mod project that still cranks out releases. (Most other mods provide some sort of organized update Monthly, Eternal Silence and Dystopia are two good examples.) But that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's just how the Empires team rolls, organizations such as the Dystopia team believe a lot of attention is good. Empires is like a commando force, working in the shadows, ready to launch something awesome on the world when Krenzo gets really bored.

13. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

Some of us would rather have lots of news updates :)

14. petemyster

petemyster Member

The Renegade Mod for Red Alert 2 (forget its name) does a really good blog. But then again they have more stuff to show more frequently.

The dev's blog doesn't have to all be about developing, just something to let us know your still alive like: "don't worry im still alive i've just been busy with asmdakljsdalksjdkjfdgnldkgdfg". Something like that would be good :p

15. Reef

Reef Member

recon, petemyster, vaedr6, manhunt0r: we are intensively working on a better communication system that will allow to get some data about the developing process FOR GUYS LIKE YOU.
    I hope it will actually be better than any news You were getting from Empiresmod dev team ever.

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  16. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Krenzo didn't lose motivation, he's busy in real life.

17. manhunt0r

manhunt0r Member

reef feel free to add me to the list of guys like them xD

18. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

I personally imaginate that the things went something like this:

2.0 got released, developers took a break and enjoyed at the fruits of their work.

All the official testers took break too and enjoyed at the game.

Developers started to work on their mod again but beta testers were still having fun.

New version is under way, beta testers are starting to do their jobs again and things are developing.

So, things are developing. There aren't much to show yet but there will be.

19. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Theres a difference between updates on a mod in progress (omg, look at this hawt new effect/feature/map/vehicle/weapon we finished this week!) and Empires, which is released and slowly ploughing along. When it comes down to it, all the updates are filler until aircraft can be finished, since Krenzo's vision of aircraft was functional cockpits and he never got the models to code them. All the updates in the mean time have been bug fixes and filler, awaiting those sacred models that would allow aircraft to be finished. The flight physics (except for a "omg, you hit something solid, I'm go crash mah servers!" bug) are done.

20. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Y'know, it wouldn't take much to do a tester-run news thread.