Empires Public Test Server 2.21a

Discussion in 'General' started by Porthos, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Porthos

Porthos Member

None of this would be possible without Recon and the Training Server. Thank you Recon!

Empires Public Test Server exists to create a space where weapon balancing can be done on a larger scale with the whole community. To start the server will be focusing on infantry weapons. Keeping the new gameplay style is important, the purpose of these test are to attempt to maintain that style while reintroducing the "fun" aspect some of us feel is missing.

Everyone is welcome to the server at any time! The server will be working off of modified files. If your install of Empires does not also share these files then your experience of the altered weapons will not be accurate.

UPDATE: I've created a simple .bat file that will run all nessecary functions required to play on the test server. As long as you have downloaded and installed TortoiseSVN this program will do the rest. The program will Setup the SVN, Update the Custom Files to the newest Version, Revert the Custom Files to stock settings for general play and if needed uninstall the Custom Files completely. If you don't feel comfortable using this program feel free to follow the manual instructions provided.

NOTE: If you have already followed the manual install instructions I suggest you follow the manual Uninstall instructions before using this tool.

Download and install this SVN client:

Windows XP/Vista (x86):
    http://downloads.sourceforge.net/tortoisesvn/TortoiseSVN-1.5.6.14908-win32-svn-1.5.5.msi?download

Windows XP/Vista (x64):
    http://downloads.sourceforge.net/tortoisesvn/TortoiseSVN-1.5.6.14908-x64-svn-1.5.5.msi?download

Download and run Empires Public Test Server Update Tool: http://dump.desync.nl/Empires_Custom_Scripts_Tool.bat

MANUAL INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

Step 1:

Download and install this SVN client:

Windows XP/Vista (x86):
    http://downloads.sourceforge.net/tortoisesvn/TortoiseSVN-1.5.6.14908-win32-svn-1.5.5.msi?download

Windows XP/Vista (x64):
    http://downloads.sourceforge.net/tortoisesvn/TortoiseSVN-1.5.6.14908-x64-svn-1.5.5.msi?download

Step 2:

Navigate to your Empires install folder, by default it should be:

Windows XP/Vista (x86):
    C:\Program Files\steam\steamapps\SourceMods\Empires

Windows XP/Vista (x64):
    C:\Program Files(x86)\steam\steamapps\SourceMods\Empires

Step 3:
    Rename your "scripts" folder. To do this simply right click the folder choose rename. Rename the folder to "ScriptsBUP"

Step 4:
    Create a new folder named "scripts".
    Right click this new "scripts" folder and in the menu that appears, an option "SVN Checkout" will be available, click on that.

A window will pop up and the following options will need to be filled in:

URL of repository: https://svn.projects.okbehappy.net:444/porthos_repos

Checkout Directory: By default it is the following

Windows XP/Vista (x86):
    C:\Program Files\steam\steamapps\SourceMods\Empires\scripts

Windows XP/Vista (x64):
    C:\Program Files(x86)\steam\steamapps\SourceMods\Empires\scripts

Click ok.

A box will appear asking for a username and password, they are:
    Username: anonsvn
    Password: anonsvn

Click the checkbox asking to save login information.

Click ok.

A warning box will appear, click "yes" on this.

Once you click yes another window will appear scrolling through all the script files in your folder. Once it has completed this you have been updated to the latest revision of the new scripts. Click OK.

Step 5:
    Join Empires Public Test Server.

UPDATES
    Everytime before you join the Test Server be sure to update the scripts folder.

Step 1:
    Richt click on your "scripts" folder and choose "SVN Update".
    This will bring up a familiar window that will update any files as nessicary.
    Click ok when it's done.

Step 2:
    Join Empires Public Test Server.

NOTE: If Empires is running when you update the "scripts" folder you MUST restart Empires for the updates to take effect.

USING STOCK SCRIPTS FOR GENERAL PLAY
    In order to play on another server you will need to revert your scripts to the stock 2.21 files. This is a very simple procedure.

Step 1:
    Right click on the "scripts" folder go to "TortiseSVN" then choose in the submenu "Update to revision..."

Step 2:
    A box will appear click the buble next to "Revision" then type in "1" without the quotation marks and click ok.
    This will revert your files back to the stock scripts.

NOTE: If Empires is running when you update the "scripts" folder you MUST restart Empires for the updates to take effect.

UNINSTALL

Step 1:
    Delete the SVN scripts folder

Step 2:
    Rename your back up folder back to "scripts".

Step 3:
    Uninstall Tortise SVN

If you play on this server please come back here to this post and make some notes on your experience, what you thought of the infantry weapons.

Thank you,

Porthos

None of this would be possible without Recon and the Training Server. Thank you Recon!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  2. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

good idea, but i think this needs a formal pug, like with 1.07 -> 1.08, to get enough ppl to accuratly test out the new weapons.

really is a badass idea.

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Ah, a nice easy way to do this, I love this idea, and we really can make some progress now, but a formal PUG is needed IMO.

4. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

hmm it works....

5. Porthos

Porthos Member

Once a larger group of people have gotten their machines ready for this server we can schedule a PUG.

6. recon

recon SM Support Dev

On the warning box, you should say accept permanently, because then you won't have to do it anymore, and then you'll be able to use the batch files that I'm writing ;)

7. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

I've recently tweaked Porthos' scripts together with him, and I need to have them tested. We will post a playtest date soon. I'd like to have as many players as possible during the playtest.

8. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Saturdays at 6pm GMT worked pretty well for the tester PUGs. Just set up a steam group (or use one of the current Empires ones) and schedule a bunch of PUGs.

9. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

thats noon for me, so ill be down... if i can manage to wake up

10. Porthos

Porthos Member

The scripts approved by Beerdude (The Official Incharge of Empires Infantry Weapon Balance) are loaded on the Test Server right now. Get your SVN setup now so you'll be ready for the public scrim when it is annouced. Or feel free to get some friends and test out the changes now, the server is always open.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  11. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

The script directory has ended up as
    C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\SourceMods\Empires\scripts\porthos_repos
    Shouldn't the new scripts have just overwritten the old scripts in the script folder or is it supposed to be this way?

EDIT: No, I see that they are supposed to overwrite the old scripts, my Tortoise SVN client is just acting strange.

12. Porthos

Porthos Member

Did you create a new folder for the SVN as in the instructions?

13. recon

recon SM Support Dev

The password on the server has been removed.

14. Porthos

Porthos Member

The name of the server has changed to Empires Public Test Server. Instructions for installing SVN and the scripts have been clarified.

15. Porthos

Porthos Member

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  16. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

what does that tool?
    changing weaponscript files?

17. Porthos

Porthos Member

Hey Mayama,

Yes the tool is for updating and changing the weapon scripts. If you read the top post it explains what it does in more detail.

Porthos

18. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Sorry but the server is for us europeans so laggy that any playtest is impossible.
    I cant test weapons if like 3/4 of all hits dont register.

19. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

nobody cares about europe anyway

20. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

its just asia's cancerous growth