Empires is heading on to Steam, and we need your help to get it there.

Discussion in 'News' started by Trickster, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Drag

Drag Member

-Signed-

2. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

I have badlands, totally untextured. BTW someone said that the author doesn't want it to be used. (whoever the author is)

3. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Fuck yes badlands.

Opie do you still play? We should setup some training servers with lots of active mods for the release. I'll come back for a week or two shitty ass winter weather not much to do but snowboard and only really can do that once a weekend.

4. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

good idea, we can just lead squads and comm and be generally WAY NICER THAN THE REST OF YOU EMPIRES HOMOS

5. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

just one thing.. can we like do an overhaul of empires? there are some issues i believe that needs to be dealt with, instead of putting it on the "list to do".

this one phrase guys..
    Would you play Empires in its current condition??

we should ask ourselves this question.

6. Krazer

Krazer Member

Rofl... :rolleyes:

7. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

its just that release on steam is probably a turning point for Empires.. and we should make damn sure it is of exceptional caliber. we should address all major problems that players have with the mod and how it could be remedied.

soooo i think the moderators/devs should make a thread with a poll and have players vote on what problems that should be fixed. i think the majority of the players, and less the developers, should have a better insight on what Empires should be like.

A person who designs and builds guitars, may not be the best guitarist.

8. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

And people who play guitars might not be the best at building them.

9. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

lawl.. true that. true that.

10. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Finish the tutorials before the Steam release.

11. Zeke

Zeke Banned

Yet if they are presented with a banjo, then its natural that a guitarist point out that its not what they desire.

Lets say... err.... that the plasma tree is shit.
    then a player can point out that plasma is shit and needs to be reworked.
    now the dev can (but doesnt have to) listen to the players ideas on how to fix the issue brought up.
    But wether or not they listen is not of importance.
    The important thing is that the devs actually fix the issue.
    Ofcourse this only applies if it's actually a problem... like f.ex. that (going by the above example) plasma never gets used due to how shitty it is.

12. Silk

Silk Mapper

... finish ...

13. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

this post is so typical for you - made in a hurry without considering consequences even for a microsecond.

an overhaul will take for-fucking-ever, previous devs have wasted years and not put empires on steam, how long do you think will this mod still survive. a lot have prognosed its death years ago already - they where wrong - but the cancer didnt stop growing, its death is inevitable. there isnt much time left and if you start again from scratch, you will end up with less then one populated server. and it currently is that bad already ...

i just dont get why mootant, brutos, empty, trickster and whoever currently is deemed part of the dev team dont just say, "right, fuck this shit, lets move over to another engine". theres plenty of free engines sufficient - if not a million times better then source was at any point - for empires. you have the models, you have mappers, you have coders. stop trying to revive what is doomed already ...

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  14. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

it is. Except for one small detail, which is force spawning a player on map start. Like a single player game style spawn.

15. Dnst

Dnst Member

Considering what the new team realised during the last year, I won't come to the conclusion the empires project were dieing. In fact the EP 3 Release will bring many players back to the source engine - and it's mods. Empires still has much potencial to come up to, what it basically needs, are new graphics, the gameplay works well.

If you are rudimentarily informed about source modding you will certainly know this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYiVkHEzThk

Source has the capacities to allow a brilliant looking game. Another problem: You won't find any mod-community comparable to Source.

16. Zeke

Zeke Banned

17. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

TBH empires needs this release to attract new devs to move forward. Is there any active moddlers/skinners on the project now?

I would however say getting a tutorial in first and 1+ weeks of solid testing of new version before release should be done. Make sure we have a bunch of servers updated already and ready to go. Stable+playable is what should be aimed for.

For me the release should look like this:

-Decently balance weapon/vehicle scripts (no idea what its like right now, from what I've seen infantry stuff looks ok but vehc could use some work)
    -Tutorial map
    -Readd(if its gone, no idea) single target comm targets
    -Add in popular custom maps (so you can say now with 5 new maps or w/e)
    -non steam release for 1+ week to test and get servers up

18. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Can you some how make sure that sever owners know that they must have very powerful servers to run this game?

19. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

it's the best it's been in a long time, and a release will likely attract new talent, as was said above.

shit or get off the pot man, it's go time imo

but what simon said is key stuff that needs to happen first.

testtinnngggggg ftw.

20. recon

recon SM Support Dev

+ 1 simon. I don't know if there's a tutorial map, but there are tutorial videos that ScardyBob made to play in a window accessible from the main menu. The window is there, but seems to be nonfunctional.

Few more things:

1. Linux server binary to update the SourceMod gamedata.
    2. Low quality particles option on the graphics settings.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011