Empires is heading on to Steam, and we need your help to get it there.

Discussion in 'News' started by Trickster, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

So, we spoke to Valve and we're finally getting the go-ahead for steam. We should be doing a steam release within this month.

As such, there are some key things we need to get done before then.

1) Every player interested in helping out should download the Empires SVN. You can read about that here: http://www.forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=12053

2) We need promotional screenshots, videos, whatever, to be flooded everywhere. Do what you can.

3) We will also have a task list, which you can find here: http://www.forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?p=346969

I'll be updating both this thread and the tasklist fairly option, so I'll post a bump when I can.

2. Krazer

Krazer Member

Oh...
    My..
    Yahweh.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  3. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

[​IMG]FUCK YEAH BITCHES!!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  4. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

But dubee empires will never be on steam works...

me: yes it will..

5. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Finally. Good work whoever kept writing steam ^_^

6. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Congratulations, Empiresmod. Special thanks to Trickster and his associates for continually pushing for a higher publicity...can't wait!

7. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

Woo! :D
    Guides for newbs MUST BE FINISHED before release.
    I no want nubs in mah game yo.

8. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Under the guidance of Yahweh we are finally going to get steamworks.

9. harryhoot1

harryhoot1 Member

If I refine airfight some more, can it be an official lulz map?

10. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

11. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

kudos, this looks promising

12. Kane

Kane Member

Sycophancy overload.

13. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

maybe I can help with something or other, let me know homeys

awesome news of course
    congrats!

14. Empty

Empty Member

Screens, forum advertisements, videos on youtube, telling your friends who don't play empires, all of these things will help us get more publicity, more players and help empires become a more active mod.

15. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

Also plz spam the BUGS-section with everything that is definitely broken right now.

16. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

If you do this now with the mod as it is now, I don't think in the long run there will be much of a change in the amount of players. For example, take a look at old Steam-supported mod Dystopia. Dystopia was a very popular mod that, to be honest, has a huge amount of polish in gameplay, graphics, sounds; you name it and Dystopia has it. Currently however, there is seldom more than one full server of the game.

To be honest here, Empires now is essentially the same game is was in the first couple of releases. Yes, gameplay has gotten much better. But almost nothing else has really improved at all. We have more maps, but we always play the same few. Our models are old and outdated. We have no aircraft. We still have the iffy Scout class. The Commander still feels underpowered. And don't forget the bad GUI. I fear that for most of the gamers who tried the old Empires, liked or disliked it, and left, this new Empires will seem too similar to the old and players will soon leave.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  17. Zygoth

Zygoth Member

I have the same feeling.

It would feel much mroe fresh if certain things would be fixed and if all the shitty maps would be removed too(or replaced with more decent ones, see slaughtered for example).

I too have the feeling that this may be too early and can scare away new players.

18. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

people say this all the time, of not going on to steam works because of blah blah blah. I see new faces every week or so, I think steam works will get new faces every day. Dystopia was awesome but it is really tedious, all the rounds are the same, same maps, same objectives (go into the internet, hack something, get out, and use a sword on people). The reason Empires still has filled servers (that are 64 player servers) is because in it you don't win by getting objectives, you win by conditions, so that means unique rounds on same maps, with a bunch of maps that we have, which = Re-playability which = happy players that get bored slower..

19. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I think that as long as we have decent noob support, with a tutorial, manual, loading screen tips, etc, then the mod will do fine. We can keep putting it off with "Should add this first", "should add that first", but if we waited until the game was complete to take to steam, it would die. Neotokyo for example, did a phenomenal first relesase. A wide variety of maps and weapons, not many bugs, and a lot of support. But it died off because they had little to update it with. Everything was already done.

Updates keep people interested, and god knows we have so much that we can still do with Empires.

20. Opie

Opie Member

This mod has been on a decline since badlands was removed. Bring back badlands and the mod will be an instant success, probably more people than tf2 will play it.