Empires & googling for HL2-mods...

Discussion in 'General' started by [RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu, Jul 22, 2006.

1. 2TM

2TM Banned

If I spend 8 hours a day on a mod i'd want money for it!
    Thats why i dont make mods, lol
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2006
  2. Wizzy

Wizzy Member

Good point :D

3. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

2TM, that post was... Interesting.

Dee, I have to agree with you, the early versions of PoA were great. Just that one street map that worked so well. It all kinda went downhill from there.

4. Wizzy

Wizzy Member

Personally, I haven't played POA since October, didn't like the model changes, nor could anyone stand the lag. Beta 3 was POAs prime.

The revival doesn't seem to be going well either, awell, I'll just remember the good times it brought. And yes, the street map (Dubbed 'Light' if I remember right) was one of the best mod maps ever.

Anyway, closed betas being a problem? Some mods want to take some careful steps before releasing to the public of course. If you don't, you risk losing a huge majority of a prospective player base just like Dystopia. Sure, mods like Insurgency piss people off for taking 4 damned years, but what dev wants to see that amount of time go to waste? Meh, I'm just blabbering crap that you already know, It's my b-day tommorow so ease on the flaming :rolleyes:

5. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Before making a mod was just "getting your name out there" to get noticed by the internet community and just in general feel great beacuse you gave rise to something wonderfull, a sort of "From gamers to gamers" thing... It was really clean and nice (It really scares me how much the world has changed JUST IN 5 years)

Now its a competition to get money from the devs of the main game... Every one is trying to be the next "CS" beacuse look at those guys now, the team that worked on the original is compleatly backed up and intigrated into Valve, and thats a very good position to go from "Payed nothing to do stuff script monkey thing, into a respected part of a heavy weight corporation"

And that just sickens me, many mods that still retain the original spirit of modding don't seem to attract attention or talent since every single one of the capable people are looking for a quick way to get set

Same analogy as American Idol and stuff, if you succeed with a mod you can go from zero to quite litlery hero in a very short amount of time....

I think I'll finish up my rant here...

*Edit*

Oh and I would gladly shell out 20 bucks to play NS:S those guys really deserve it, I just hope they dont grow fat and arrogant, Dev's seem to loose their humility once they "Hit Big" and I know that is naturaly human behaviour, but that still ticks me off...

Last edited: Jul 23, 2006
  6. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

could u show me some mods that have the original spirit of modding? i want to see wut such a thing looks like

7. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

this mod? :P

8. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Black Mesa?

OOH! Sven Co-op!

9. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

woah....i just got 0w3n3d

but ur right...it does piss me off when someone starts to charge for a mod...like gmod. there charging 10 bux to buy the next patch er so i heard.
    also, yall seen that new portal game? it looks like valve is trying to make a minigame and scoring off it...looks cool tho.

10. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Think they bandwagoned of Prey :p

But alas, the designers of Prey didnt have to kohunos to make something like Portal, Im just going to fall through the celling for ever, thats the first thing I will do when I get Portals :D

11. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Oh, please. The game Portal is based off of is called Narbacular Drop. Valve hired the guys who made it right out of Digipen. Besides, the portals in Prey were simply used as doors. These... These are something different.

12. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

It's beginning to seem to me that Valve is trying to take an almost EA-like approach to the gaming market, except Valve has Steam(-ing piece of crap) on their side.

13. [RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu

[RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu Member

Interessting, in which direction this thread is going.
    It went completly offtopic, but it okay and the discussion itself is interessting and seems needed (at least some had some thoughts, they had to release and it was just the time and the chance for it).

If I want to create a mod, it be complety without public noticing.
    I would show it to some friends, ask them what they think of it and what they would change. And near to the point of being playable I would creat a handful screenies, save them on imageshack and sent them to some friends, hoping the urls to the screenies would spread out onto the internet so some get to know the mod. And the publish it of course.
    Except making screenies and using the internet, that's the way I created maps for C&C: Tiberian Dawn back in the good old days. Once finished with one, I put it on a floppy disk and gave it to a friend. I don't know how far it spread and I don't want to know. I just had the idea of a map and wanted to create it and see how it felt playing.
    It was the only time I got in touch with the modding community as a active member.

Since then, I only play mods and I have to say I am getting bored by all these singleplayer maps they use to call mods. Well I'm tired of singleplayer at all at the moment. It's just not that challenging than playing with other humans.
    I don't want to say that Minerva or Substance are terrible. As far as I have played them, they are great and some other mods/maps too, but...well, multiplayer is something completly different, making way more fun.
    And now try to find some good multiplayer mods.
    You wont find much: Empires of course, Hidden: Source, HL2: Assault (if only somebody else than me would play it...) and SourceForts. That's it.
    For now.
    I am hoping for some good multiplayer mods for Portal.
    But the rest? No, thanks.

14. Carrigage

Carrigage Member

I apologize if I was rude, but Calibur mod reminds me of of a guy named 'Thatamos' from back at the NS forums, and he was spamming about that mod all the time, thats why I just plain hate it.

Anyway, yet again I'm sorry if it came out too offensive, even though it was meant to be a tad bit offensive.

I once tried making a mod called "Life Force", never got very far, the crew didnt get much encouragement, and soon left the team...

I'm planning to make a new mod called "Life Force" based on the storyline about "Life Force".
    Just waiting for my mate to finish his C++ studying :p

Edit: Err, allow me to correct what I said, it was a guy named 'Thatamos' not 'Bashh' who kept rambling about that god damned mod, sorry Bashh :p

Last edited: Jul 24, 2006
  15. FalconX

FalconX Developer

TFW, anyone? :p

Last edited: Jul 24, 2006
  16. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

yes yes, thatamos is active on the forums. but he dont work on the team, he just makes sigs for people.