Empires & googling for HL2-mods...

Discussion in 'General' started by [RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu, Jul 22, 2006.

1. [RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu

[RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu Member

...and you'll find www.empiresmod.com at position 90 when searching for "half life 2 mod". We can do better!

2. Stu

Stu BehälterGott

We must create a google bomb! For those of you who don't know what a google bomb is, it is when a bunch of websites link to something so that it's position on google goes up.

3. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

We google bombed 'fucking incredible' on facepunch to redirect to there, but I don't actually know how to do one.

4. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

But try searching for "tank hud" on google images.

5. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Well, yeah, but maybe that's because there is only 52 pics on the entire internets of a so-called "Tank HUD" ;p
    Should we schedule a time and place to do the G.B.?

6. pixelized

pixelized Member

I'm pretty dissappointed at the lack of multiplayer mods. There's tons in development but very few that are playable and not many worth playing form that hand.

7. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

I really hate how mod teams are treating their mods as professional games. surrounding themselves in shrouds of secrecy, not releasing anything until it's fully complete and of chart topping quality =/

I hate even more, the teams who make mods with the goal of earning money from it >.>

8. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Nuclear Dawn comes to mind... I seriously think that stuff is vaporware... They keep releasing Gmoded "screenshots"

9. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

The mod community has really gone to shit. I don't know why.

10. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

I think it's those few bad apples getting too much publicity, although I must admit that there are more and more mods that aren't very innovative. :( And this thing with ND... Christ. Mod community lost it's virginity quite brutally... :(

11. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

I think that mods that try to build up a massive community in an instant really tend to attract the bad crowd. Then they have to come up with media to appease this mass of people. Our community here at Empires is growing much slower than ND's, but i think we have a much better community overall because of that.

12. pixelized

pixelized Member

Nothing pisses me off more than teasers and nothing to play.

13. ^Dee^

I don't mind teasers but I hate mods that spew out an endless number of screenshots and crap with no release nearly in sight.

14. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

check my sig =D
    its calibermod.com. i think its pretty dang innovative, and closed beta starts sept 20th!!! cant wait
    *drool*

15. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

I think that the increased expectations and amount of work has really taken a toll on modders. It just isn't as simple as it used to be.

Grayclay, see, that's exactly what Dee was talking about. Closed beta? What the fuck is that shit? What does that actually offer for a mod?

I would love to see a massive project designed to revitalize the Half-Life mod community.

16. Carrigage

Carrigage Member

Caliber Mod is pure crap, I know one of the guys working on that mod...

1. He's a complete fucking idiot
    2. The mod has no interresting stuff whatsoever
    3. It's utterly ugly
    4. yet again, one of the members is a complete fucking jack-off, and I belive that if they accept him into the team, they'ev gotta be retards aswell.

And I was forced to watch different Caliber stuff every fucking day back in the NS Forums, and god I grew so tired of it

17. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

If i were you, i'd delete that post before this thread goes to the blackhole.

18. Wizzy

Wizzy Member

Ugh, why must Natural Selection Source cost $20? People have a lot of nerve to charge for a mod.

In the past year, the only two decent mods available were; Plan of Attack (RIP, great mod :( ), and Hidden-Source. Since then, well, aside from Empires, nothing worthy of attention. Though I am looking forward to Insurgency, Eternal-Silence, and (Dare I say it) Iron-Grip, though I doubt the fun'll last long.

And with all of this Nuclear-Dawn bashing going on? People overreact, a big name mag offered them some publicity, and they jumped to it. So a Dev told me they made a mistake photoshopping the comm hud, I fail to see why this is a big deal, not like they're charging money.

It's a dark time for modding. Though the end of the tunnel looks pretty bright.

19. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

*sigh* just to defend my post, game engines have gotten waaay more complicated since people first started making mods. for a total conversion, you hafta remake almost every element of the game, essentially making a new game. thats why modders are treating these like real games. because, in a sense, they are. and would you want to realease a buggy peice of shit, or a polished, good-looking "game"?

20. ^Dee^

I actually agree with his point but yes, at least try to criticise in a polite manner.

---

And the problem, in my opinion, isn't that engines are more complicated; it's that everyone is trying to be the next big thing.

---

Plan of attack wasn't bad but I didn't like where they started taking it. By the end of it's life it was pretty much the same as CS and then they killed it off by releasing a sucky patch and vanishing completely =/