Empires DayZ - A new start

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Trickster, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

[​IMG]

So, these days, most DayZ play is done on "private hives". These are sets of servers that aren't hosted on the public hive, so whatever you do is synced to that one server. As such, people tend to stay on one, or a group of servers.

We've been playing on a specific set of servers for a while, on a custom version of DayZ, known as DayZero. These servers will soon be updated to DayZero 1.0, after which, a full database wipe will occur, and everyone on these servers will start over.

How does DayZero differ from regular DayZ, and how has DayZ even changed since the last time I played?

DayZero is known for being a little bit more hardcore than standard DayZ. Whilst it contains many more weapons, and vehicles, some of the top end weaponry and gear has been removed, such as the 50cal sniper rifles, the thermal sighted L85, and NVGs. On top of this, it's pretty much impossible to combat log, you can't leave the map area to store stuff (or you explode), vehicles return to their spawn area if untouched for 2 days (meaning vehicle turnover is VERY high, including helicopters), and a much wider variety of crash sites and vehicles in general.

DayZero 1.0 is mainly a performance and architectural change to the previous version of DayZero. From this point on, they'll be focusing on adding new buildings to Chernarus, special event nights, more weaponry/vehicles, and generally trying to make survival harder from the environment itself. DayZstandalone is a fair while off, so I imagine we'll be playing this for a good few months.

Ok, great, how do I play?

You don't. Yet. I've spoken to the owner of these servers, and he's also posted publicly that the 1.0 update is relatively imminent, with full stress testing starting either today or tomorrow. I'd expect the update to be fully live within a week.

I've set up a Steamgroup for people to join:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/EmpDayZ

To play on these servers, you have to follow a pretty specific process. There is a guide on their forums which explains it much better than I could, but I'll cover the basics.

You'll need Arma 2 and Operation Arrowhead. Both need to be installed, and you need to have run Combined Operations at least once. After this, I recommend downloading DayZCommander. From there, head to the Zombies.nu forums, and register. Once on those forums, follow this guide, which will explain how to join.

As I've stated, that guide is currently explaining how to join DayZero 0.92. That will be outdated pretty soon, but you'll still need to learn how to whitelist yourself, and actually get into the servers. It could also be beneficial to mess about for a while and reacquaint yourself with some of Arma 2's more "special" features. The 1.0 update will really just be replacing files so I doubt it'll cause problems.

So what's the plan? Are we all playing together? (except Paradox, no-one likes him)

That's the plan. These servers are fucking ruthless. There are large squads roaming around, all very experienced at fucking your shit up. The plan is to try and get as many of us playing as possible, and hopefully get established (possibly a base, although holding the gear between the group inventory is safer) on the server. This way, when we do inevitably start dying, at least we can just regear eachother. Teamwork is key.

So that's about that. Join up the Steamgroup, and I'll let you know when the servers are live in the next week. Get yourself whitelisted ahead of time and make sure everything is working. I'm happy to help people, but it is very easy to fuck up your install, and I can't really defuck it for you. If you have any questions, post them up, and I'll do my best to address them.

2. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

i didnt get arma ;o.

3. Trickster

If you didn't already get Arma 2, then don't. Just wait for standalone DayZ in a few months.

4. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Cause running around for an hour encountering 1 player is fun!

Go play wasteland people. filter on ocuk and join the server 2

5. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

Well up for this, will kill Parafag on sight.

Most importantly, how do I change my name in game? Jonathan is not tacticool.

6. Trickster

ITT Paradox is butthurt because he isn't invited. And will be shot on sight.

7. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

Wasteland is only fun when you're on a server with people who are not retarded. Those servers are really fucking rare and you end up running in to cunts who TK for the fun of it / people who have no idea what they are doing and have a hard time understanding the concept of teamwork. It's awful. It's a brilliant concept ruined by the pathetic playerbase, much like Call of Duty.

8. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

wasteland on ocuk server 2 herp derp, teamwork all the way and active admins.

9. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I'm coming.

Hopefully. Poke me once it starts, will you?

10. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

mmmmmaaaaaaaybe. as long as killing people is part of it.

11. Trickster

Yeah of course. But it's a case of numbers for how we can go about it.

Essentially, we have to work out how to store our gear. If we have a large group, then it's pretty awesome. We can store our gear on eachother, and if any of us die, we just regear eachother. If there's less however, we need to think about storage options, and we really have to play more cautiously. Losing your entire group, as you can tell from the last time it happened with my beloved helicopter, is pretty soul destroying.

The overall aim will be to kill people, but we will have to establish first. We'll probably avoid some of the dodgier areas like the North West Airfield, at least until we have a decent amount of players in our group. It's also important we get used to playing with eachother, so we can identify eachother easier. I've found that to be a huge problem in the past, so it's important we overcome that. I've shot teammates, been shot at by them, and hesitated to shoot someone because I didn't know who they were, and ended up getting shot.

12. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Yeah I'm in, I've started to get used to ARMA engine now. tuning the display settings and actually playing arma really helped me. I'm still a horrible shot but I'll happily play cannon fodder till I get better

13. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

I'd happily play if someone were to haply gift me a copy of Arma :3

14. Space_Oddity

Just wait for standalone DayZ.

15. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

Will it be free?

16. Space_Oddity

I certainly hope not. It'll be dirt cheap like Alpha Minecraft though.

17. Trickster

They said they're probably going to price it higher than originally intended. Or rather, Rocket said that the amount of time/money they're putting into it means they now have to consider it higher value. But yeah, it'll still be a lot cheaper when in Alpha, and he said that it'll still probably never reach a regular retail price that most other games go for. I'd expect like $20-30 in Alpha, $40-50 by the time it's done.

18. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Yeah I'll have a go at ths (although im a dayz noob (only played for a few hours))

Give me a shout sometime before we start so I can get setup

19. Trickster

You should play some by yourself on the previous version if you're new. It's pretty unforgiving at this level of play.

20. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I registered back when it was called SE9/10, will it still work or do I have to re-register?