Empires 2.0 is competeing directly with Insurgency beta 2

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Lithium, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Bah...tbh I think the only other mod which competes on the same plane as Empires is Eternal Silence, purely because they are both so innovative/genre blending. I will play PVK and Hidden and such, but not in the time that I want to play Empires.

2. Silk

Silk Mapper

I liked the hidden very much, but it became boring too fast. The only thing that would bring me back to Hidden would be the ability to have like 20 player servers with 3 hiddens.
    Yeah that would make me download it again for sure, since apart from being boring the gameplay is pretty solid. It would need bigger maps though.

I tried insurgency, and i must say i was impressed, but for me it was like 'been there done that'. Sure it isn't exactly the same as another game, but close enough for me to not enjoy it all that much. Still i think it deserves a nice fanbase, since imo it's certainly not a bad game.

The mod i enjoyed most however was dystopia. I'm talking about the first release (when there was only one map). I totally loved the gameplay, and i couldn't get enough of it. Then there was some version that wouldn't work on my pc, and when i finally was able to play yet another new version, i didn't enjoy it anymore. Most likely because i didn't know the new maps and wasn't patient enough to stick around long enough to get to know them.

I tried iron grip, but i think they released too soon (people have said the same about empires though). Sure it was only a beta, but it wasn't even fun. In a beta i'd expect to see a lot of bugs, but usually i always realize that without the bugs and some improvements the game could be very fun. I didn't have that with iron grip, as if the core gameplay just wasn't fun. Maybe i'll give it a try later, since i love the idea behind the mod, but not untill someone tells me it has been improved a lot gameplay wise.

PVK was ... well it's not my thing. I don't like most of that mod, but i know many people do, so it must have something to do with me, not the mod. Possible because i don't like melee combat, unless it's at least somewhat advanced (the only game i remember i enjoyed was dark messiah).

I did enjoy eternal silence for a while, but i'm not a fan of space combat, so i didn't stick with the game very long. Still for people who like space combat it should be a very enjoyable game.

The only mod that doesn't get boring, doesn't get frustrating and keeps my adrenaline up, is empires. It's as simple as that. I can't tell why it's better than other mods, but for me it simply is waaaay better.
    That's not true, there is at least one reason: i've never played a mod or real game which had such an amazing fps/rts combo, that works so perfectly as is the case with empires. For me it's the first game in its genre, because to me the other ones sucked.

So no matter how many mods get released, people who like empires will play it. I wasn't expecthing more than that in the first place. I'm very disappointed in how few people play hl2 mods. I don't even want to steal players from another mod. I'm hoping that empires will bring new players to the mod community, instead of borrowing the few there are now from other mods. And to be honest, because empires is so unique, i think it could do that.

3. asskicker

asskicker Member

QFT! This guy has it all right

4. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

round of applause for silk :)

5. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

6. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

7. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

They didnt look at the forums; the judged from the 1.071b population... Which is small :p

8. Lithium

Lithium Member

Yeah I dont even have 1.07 installed anymore lol

9. Caelo

Caelo Member

yeah what the fuck? "no community" "= dead"
    ehh yeah whatever..

10. REX

REX Member

I tried insurgency and in the beginning I got shot all the time . But at one point I was support and got on the roof and started to lay down fire on a narrow aly pathway thing and got like 20+ frags before I got shot and repeated it several times. But it gets old really fast.

empires have far better engagement distance with the huge maps and so on. You start engaging the enemy at something like 200-400m much like in real combat. this creates far longer combat as most people will take cover or get down and return fire which = far more fun.

11. arklansman

arklansman Member

No community is better than no mod. :P

12. asskicker

asskicker Member

And what about PVKII? That's coming out also this month I beleave

13. REX

REX Member

well so is a lot of stuff...... I am unsure if it is true, but the stores say that UT3 will be out on november 30 atleast here

14. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

PVK hasn't announced anything yet.

15. Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica Member

Whats that?

16. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

17. asskicker

asskicker Member

Not officially but on the forums they sorta did :)

18. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

So at best it's the equivalent of our 1.08 RC test?

19. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

Haha in that case we can expect it next summer

20. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

UT3 should already be released... the devs made the world premiere here in Germany at the 12th of november.