emp_tutorial

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Metal Smith, Apr 19, 2009.

1. The Doctor

The Doctor Member

Oh yeah I forgot all about this after I lost ewhat I was working on after having to reformat :/

2. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Member

If you need any help just add me and I will be glad the only thing is that when I try to make maps for empires it just closes out of empires and gives me a nice big fat juicy error. http://steamcommunity.com/id/mecookie

3. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Yeah, there were 3 projects going on at once. One of them was far betters than the others, and it wasn't mine. I don't even have this vmf anymore.

Check the archives in the testers forums for who was making the good one. I forget who it was though :/

4. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

I'd like to know about the status of the map and how many tutorial maps actually are being made.

Also, i suggest different types of shooting ranges:
    1.One straight line with on target which can go close to the shooter via button so he see where he'd hit
    (like private shooting ranges and those policemen train at)
    2.A whide field with multiple targets which simply swing down when hit, the shooter is in a trench at the border of the field
    (One of the shooting ranges armys train at)
    3.Close quarter combat simulation with target dummies
    (like seen in the nf2 engine test)

5. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

1) No point in doing it. each weapon has a cone of dmg it does. You cannot control where the bullets will go outside of the first bullet. Unless you use sniper gun.

2) See 1

3) That is doable and might be fun.

6. MajorTom

MajorTom Member

It is true that each weapon has a different cone of dmg, but you can control that cone of dmg by not shooting as rapidly.

So maybe #2 is doable as long as the target gets knocked down after 100 dmg.

And maybe there should be a button that can set if the target is standing, crouched, or prone and then a button for the different longer life skills the opponent may have like health up or dig in.

If no one wants to bother making it I can try and you could implement.

7. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

A target range is the most pointless thing I can think of. It's pretty much the only thing people know how to do before they come to empires.

8. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

familiarising with weapons by a target range gives the clear message its a training camp, if people dont want to kill the targets they should be able to just skip it but if its well done it will be a solid addition

9. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

The current build of the tut map has a full working target range, requires the targets to be destroyed before continuing, the next stage was the engineer stage, it's about 80% done. Since i have a real job now, i really don't have time to do anything, but i've given everything to several people now to continue the work. I believe trickster was one of those people

10. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Yeah, I'm just finishing up my exams, then I'm gonna start whoring out tasks to people to get it done.

11. Theowningone

Theowningone Noone likes me :'(

Needs to have an island with a ramp that goes into the water, the Command vehicles spawn on this island.

12. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Member

What I was thinking at first was that the player spawns as a engi no matter what and goes down an elevator then walks into a hall and there is a little "train" that takes him down the hallway the shows pictures like district and the type of game-play, slaughtered and its type of game-play, it is and talks about it. Then at the end of the "train ride" he gets off and there is a room with info about the engi like the skills and does like some target practice and as soon as all the targets are destroyed then the next door opens. As he passes through the door it changes his class to riflemen, and tells stuff about his skills and target practice. Then gren with a long range target practice and a vehicle to destroy with his RPG. Then scout and blah blah blah. After he comes out of the rooms the faction can only go through the factions door and then there is a big field with a comm vehicle. And tells the person to get in and press F2. The show what things to place and where to place buildings (not the VF though) and basic things for the comm. Then it tells him to get out by pressing e. He goes through a entrance to a room with a VF and a thing that destroys vehicles when you get out and press a button. And this part is shows how to do stuff with vehicles and all that. Then the big voice tells him to type kill in console or !kill and it ends the whole tutorial.

I know there is a lot of things that could not be done or it is very hard to do like the going into the next room and it changes classes automatically, but your "going to have to work with me here." I really like the idea but I cannot do it b/c I do everything right and when I get in-game to try it, it shows the whole thing leaking everywhere. :gasmask:

13. MajorTom

MajorTom Member

Well then contain the leak

Wait, I thought you couldn't even run the map if it leaked to the void, or are we talking a completely different leak?

14. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Cookie_Monster: for the love of god, clean up your English and speak in paragraphs. I'm not even going to try to read that shitty text wall.

15. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Member

First I fixed the leak thing. And second I will rewrite what I said:

What I was thinking at first was that the player spawns as a engi no matter what. When he spawns he goes down an elevator, then walks into a hall and there is a little "train" that takes him down the hallway. While on the train there are pictures on the walls like district and slaughtered. When going through that room there is a voice telling the types of game-play corresponding to the map.

At the end of the "train ride" he gets off and there is a room with info about the engi including the skills and a shooting range and as soon as all the targets are destroyed then the next door opens.

As he passes through the door it changes his class to riflemen, and tells stuff about his skills and shooting range.

Then gren with a long range target practice and a vehicle to destroy with his RPG.

Then scout and with two radars and depending on what fraction he has to sabotage the enemy one.

After he comes out of the rooms the faction can only go through the door of the players faction. Then there is a big field with a comm vehicle. And tells the person to get in and press F2. Then the voice tells what things to place and where to place buildings (not the VF though) and basic things for the comm. Then it tells him to get out by pressing e.

The player then goes through a entrance to a room with a VF and a thing that destroys vehicles when you get out and press a button. This part shows how to do stuff with vehicles like customizing them. Then the big voice tells him to type kill in console or !kill and it ends the whole tutorial.

16. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

hmm.. good ideas CM. Would need some code support for some of that though but, overall I think that's a very doable map.