Emp_tutorial Questions

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Metal Smith, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

So, I was wondering if anyone has had the chance to work on this. I see that it crashes in the current release of empires, and I currently have the time to work on it if someone has the latest version of the vmf.

The map itself runs, but the map properties, probably the player_start especially, crashes it as soon as it loads and tries to spawn you while the motd is up.

Just curious if anyone has the info and minds if I take a look.

2. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Are we talking about the one with reznov doing a voice over or the one that is like a mini canyon with the vehicle descriptions.

3. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

The one that used to be on the start menu, and is still in the game as emp_tutorial.

4. BigTeef

The server we used to scrim against FN the map changed into that one on the next round and we had a whole match on it.

It ran perfectly fine, I think you are referring to the version with Reznov voicing over it.
    That map version has always been broken from what I understand.

I would ask Vicki or Reznov.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0dY4VmrW6s

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  5. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Is there a reason the tutorial button was removed, like lack of code support for the single player tutorial section?

or is the map itself just buggy atm and crashing the game, like it does if you open up empires, create a new server, and then select emp_tutorial, and try to load the map up?

6. BigTeef

I think its because when we updated nobody bothered to upgrade the map so it would run with the latest version of empires.

7. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

It was removed because it crashed the game as soon as you clicked it, or was it when it loaded? In any case they didn't want new players clicking the button and assume the game was broken so they removed the option of playing it.

Also, did that tutorial map use lua stuff? I know lua is broke forever in this version.

8. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

If you have access to the files, go nuts. If not then remind me in a few days and I'll try to track them down for you.

9. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

But does it really need lua to work? Most of the stuff the lua did can be done in hammer alone, other than the forcespawn and selection of class.

10. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

I don't have the files for this anymore, reformatted everything about 2 years ago and didn't back up my old map files. most of it was terribly obsolete anyhow.

If there was scripting, it would have been for forcing the player to spawn as engineer at a specific spawn point when the map started. This is the point when the map crashes as well. It probably just needs to be recompiled, and any scripting references removed until they can be supported or replaced through other methods.

11. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

12. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

we'll see. iirc, the map's corridors are fairly segmented, so it should be simple to cut in sections.

Good ol' brenodi architecture.