emp_tropicvendetta

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by John Shandy`, Jan 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

lol ya agreed, I have yet to see heavys on the map as well, the map is a meat grinder. Games I've commed and researched armor and engines and by the time I STARTED mechanical both teams had lost 150(half) their tickets and the game was over.

Now I'm not saying I'm against the meat grinder effect, on the contrary I love it. Its just saying the gameplay is extremely fast paced.

If we make the game play prolong we might have to increase the ticket count lest everyone run out of those! :p

2. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

What do you mean by having the island match? I can't exactly make the island blue - well, I could, but that'd be weird. The sand & grass blend and the water textures are both from PVKII and I think they go together very well. Most people tell me that the map has essentially already been beaten to death with the pretty stick. I tried to make sure there would be some good areas for shallow water infantry/tank battles too, such as the NW.

What about the map do you think isn't pretty? (I suspect you may be referring to the mountains. They do need some work, but I'm unsure of how to make them more appealing.)

Be a bit more descriptive so I can better gauge what you feel the map is lacking.

3. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

Ok, well 1/2 way through our map creation empires 2.2 was released changing it over to orange box, well I realize now I have some more texture options available to me so heres what I've been messing with today for all you mountain haters :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  4. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I think the hills look better now cause they dont stick out so much like
    the pale gray ones you had in the last version.

For those displacements that only have the green grass texture...
    You could make a new blend with another grass texture and use
    it there so it gets a bit diversity. Making a blend of two existing
    textures is really easy btw.

5. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

O_o ?

what do mean? from what I'm reading of your post I already have such a blend.

6. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

-add tons of bush's too the mountain sides ?
    9or something that doesnt destroy fps but is a reasonable 'effect')

- 'fill-in' the NW and SE corners of the map with land so ppl can build another full base down there, kind of to reclaim the space, as those areas are fairly weak. tbh.

7. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Oh yeah you have it close to the mountains, i didnt saw it.

But the major part of the grass is repetitive.
    Use a very soft alpha paint brush and only
    make the grass a bit darker on some places
    with the second grass texture.

8. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Am I ok to include this in the map-pack I'm releasing?
    I'll release new ones incrementally as there are updates to maps.

9. Maxaxle

Maxaxle Member

Do you need to have the parachutes server addon/mod to parachute down from the blimp?
    EDIT: The game crashes whenever I try to spawn! WTF!?

10. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

no you land in water.

I dunno why this map would make you crash.

11. Maxaxle

Maxaxle Member

That explains a lot, and I think there might be a problem with the NF spawn point, as I always pick the NF when training myself on my own server I always make to train myself. So yeah. Problem with NF spawn point yadda yadda yadda.

12. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

Maxaxle, you are the only individual to have reported a problem with spawning. I'm disinclined to think that there's a problem with the NF blimp spawn point. You may want to try removing the map, re-downloading & reinstalling. If that doesn't work, you may want to see if you have problems on other maps with flag spawn points, or reinstall Empires. With you being the only person to have that problem, I'm positive there's little I can do without being able to diagnose it.

The map was not designed with parachutes in mind - however, parachutes are coincidentally fun on the map. You're meant to jump to the water and swim to shore, but parachuting is just as good if a server has them.

I'll probably do some work on the map today, and I'll try to do some more light alpha painting to reduce the repetitive green grassy areas.

Edit: By the way, if anyone happens to know a lot about radiosity and what not, we're having some problems (as many have probably noticed) with the Brenodi blimp balloon. It has some very weird lighting and shadows. That whole right side of the blimp balloon should be pretty well lit, and not dark (especially not such a huge contrast from the top-side which is lit up very bright, and the right side which is abruptly dark). If you have any advice/suggestions, feel free to offer them.

13. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

the blimp shouldn't block light in the first place, and with the position of the sun (presumably at high noon), shadow on the water is pointless. Make the blimp not blocking light or having any shadow etc.

14. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

he is refering to this

[​IMG]

which only appears on machines with higher graphics turned on, as you can see in my game, it looks nothing like shandys with his higher graphics

[​IMG]

15. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

hmm, I dono how I missed this post. Anyway, its up to you if you want to release this into your map pack as of yet. There are no game breaking bugs in the map as of yet so it will legitimately run on any server it is applied to. However Beta 2 will probably be released in a couple of weeks(maybe week, just depends how much play testing we want done before we assume b1 has been used through and through, and how much feedback has been recieved).

16. recon

recon SM Support Dev

This looks really cool :D

17. Maxaxle

Maxaxle Member

*whine*
    *whine*
    *whine*
    *calms down*
    *deletes map*
    *reinstalls map*
    Here goes nothing. And I haven't had bugs with other maps, either.
    EDIT: Gah, no effect! I think you may have placed the spawn point just the wrong way :( .

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  18. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

COPY Nature
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Texture can only do so much. You have to shape it like rock.

19. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

ok that first image is a good rep of an island

2nd is volcanic ash that is fallen off

3rd is a 4 mile long peice of coast in the UK. don't use that 3rd image for bases of an island or coast line. A LOT of things had to occure to make that coast line so an island with that coast line isn't logical.

20. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

yes I have that top picture and 50 others of islands and island mountains in a folder on my desktop, and I spent a week on a tropical island in Belize about 2 1/2 weeks ago. While it would be nice to have ribbed mountains like that to make it work takes up alot of space, you only have so many triangles on the displacements so you get a very 'pointed' looking ribs and what not and there is generally sever texture stretching since when you make a surface from flat to curving back and forth you can easily effectively double the surface area of it. I have actually already been trying out implementing the ribbed effect on the mountains in the 3d skybox however since pointed triangle ends and stretching is far less visible at a distance like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.