emp_tropicvendetta

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by John Shandy`, Jan 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  2. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Post pics of the blimps :D

3. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

CV dropped... From blimps...

>_>''

4. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

[​IMG]

so if all someone does is glance through here they will atleast see Empires blimpz! ;)

EDIT: oh PS shandy does have a link to his images on his post, click his! my graphics suck balls!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  5. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

Holy shit I love how this looks, great job shandy.

(I usually bitch about the maps, but this one is indeed good)

Also, if the CV is locked inside one of those things, what happens once the com accidentally times out? Is there no way to get back in? You should create a ladder of some sort to the ship.

6. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

OMG amazing. I love how it plays, but I think matches are over too soon. This map is all about the (spawnable) APC rush, and I think perhaps it should be a little harder to hold the point.

7. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

the blimps are your beginning spawns, just spawn in and jump in the CV.

8. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

Yes, the screenshots link in my original post offers a large collection of screenshots around the entire map, including the outsides & insides of the blimps.

Also, as Keef already mentioned, the blimps serve as a perpetual spawn throughout the round and you start inside of them. If your commander times out, it's a matter of respawning in the blimp and go down into the CV compartment.

9. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

can we get a shot with the minimap in it.

looks awsome but we have no idea how it plays

10. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

:( no credit for alpha 1 testing provisions..

*sniff* *sniff*

nice release :)

11. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

Awsome parachute moments :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

@mr quackums, I've edited the post to have a direct link to the minimap screenshot. It's also shown below.

@Bitchslap, No worries, I do appreciate the Alpha 1 & Alpha 2 tester volunteers, but it's too many names to remember & write. Thanks for spotting that Alpha 1 escape character in the .res manifest as well.

[​IMG]

13. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

wow, impressive
    the colours are great

now someone find a way to ninja

:headshot:

14. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I like the map.

Now make the displacements more interesting "whip" "whip" :P

15. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

mmm, what do you mean? the cliffs or the regular terrain?

I could change out the cliffs but cant really think of anything interesting to do to them without new textures/blends.

Dont know about changeing the regular terrain, like to keep as much buildable area as possible.

more input on this would be appreciated

16. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

It's looks like Far Cry mixed with blimps.

I lüve it!

17. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

Haha, this is great.

18. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

this is how the cv gets on the maps in the first place

19. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Impression after first play: Looks great, i like emp_farcry. ;)

Biggest problem i see is that the cv(or should i say flag) is stationary and therefore highly vulnerable to any kind of rushes. At the moment it is enough to rush the flag with four tanks and hold it for a minute to win the game. The flag needs more defence like turrets and infantry cover.

In addition the blimp should be able to take a few hits from the SAM before the cv falls into the water so the attacked team has the opportunity to epicly recapture the flag while rockets are pounding your zeppelin.

20. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

Glad you like it, McGyver.

The SAM sites start out with two level 2 MG turrets to help give initial protection. By the time you, FN198, and I had rushed NF's SAM site, you guys had already blown up their turrets and any other defenses they had. They also didn't defend the SAM site very well and didn't really try to place a barracks anywhere nearby.

As for the blimp taking hits, the blimps incur no actual damage. Rather, the blimps' side & bottom blow out on a trigger (they're func_breakables). When the flag is contested and you're hearing the alarm sound, that is meant to be your opportunity to regain control of your SAM site. If you hear it, you know immediately to go and focus all efforts on protecting it whether it's hidden scouts, or overt players.

Thus far I've been able to witness only 3 full rounds on b1. Two ended with vehicles assaulting the SAM site, and one ended with a ninja base that amoeba'd the defending team's base and then ninja'd the SAM site.

I think that it's too early to tell whether or not the SAM sites are too easy or too difficult to capture, or too easy or too difficult to defend. Right now, everyone is new to the map.

Once it gets to where it has been played as much as some of the other maps, such as emp_blah, emp_homeland, and some of the standard maps, both commanders and subordinates will learn the "ins" and "outs" of the map and develop strategies to defend their SAM site and strategies to capture the enemy's SAM site. Earlier this morning, NF didn't really bother to protect theirs very much until it was too late. Had they done so, it would not have been so easy for us to capture.

Beta 2 isn't going to be released for quite some time, as I want to see a lot more playtesting before I start weighing suggestions/concerns and changing things in the map.

Play at least 5 or so more full rounds on my map and then see what you think about the SAM site capturing & the CV dropping to the water.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.