Emp_stripmine

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Metal Smith, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Empty

Empty Member

At one point I AFKed in one of the tunnels because I was constantly getting revived and then instakilled by the 3 HMG users at the end of the hallway I was in.
    I went off, pissed, grabbed a drink, came back and I was still getting revived. I think I was there for at least 10 minutes before I managed to escape.

2. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

If anyone wants to fix this up and release it (just need to remake the displacements), have at it. I've started a different project that's gonna take up all my time.

3. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

In all honesty I kind of like the idea of allowing walls in urban again, now that nades actually damage walls I dont think the wall spam would be quite as severe(used to be you could only have engys decon them).

but back to metalsmith, you can make a cave map, the height in areas just has to be low enough that the commander view starts above the displacements, other than that the displacements only work in 1 direction and as long as you dont have nodraw above the displacements the commander can move his view around easily and drop buildings through the displacement since he cant view it from the outside. just build it like a canyon map with a displacement roof, only having nodraw in the walls to ceiling height.

4. Silk

Silk Mapper

What would happen if you zoom in (untill the point of origin is UNDER the cave ceiling) and you zoom out again.

Will you move through the displacements or be stuck underneath?

5. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

Metalsmith, the compile I did seemed to work flawlessly exactly as you gave it to me. I can send you the BSP or I could just cut to the chase and release it for you if you want.

6. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

you will be stuck underneath

7. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

If you could. It's frustrating now being able to compile maps.

But yeah, everything works fine, maybe some details is needed, but if you could release it varbles, that'd be great.

8. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

You could... Disable the collisions of the displacements?

9. Silk

Silk Mapper

If you can have it be solid for gunfire at the same time (including grenades) ... yeah

But my guess is it's either one or the other

10. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Depends on how high the ceiling would be.
    But.. https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Clip
    I'd say it's worth testing, could create a really cool good looking map if this would work (looking at you episode 2)

The "Block Bullets" texture seems to be the one to look for:
    "Foremost solid to bullets, but also to NPCs and physics projectiles. It does not block all projectiles, though."

11. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

no need to mess with any tool textures, the displacements alone will make this work, the ONLY problem you have is if the commander zooms in to much, which then he just has to reset his comm view like any other time the comm view gets stuck. other than that it will work perfectly for all the players