emp_snowbound

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Jimather, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Jimather

Jimather Member

oh shit yeah i completely forgot about those, will take a look.

I personally think that they really help make the map more interesting, I don't have that many wind sounds to choose from and if anything they are too quiet once you have vehicle, gun and voice chat noise on top of them. If you really don't like them then delete soundscapes_emp_snowbound.txt from the scripts folder.

2. Jimather

Jimather Member

Yeah the problem is the rock model wont fit in because i have dark rock and that is a light coloured rock.

The tree model could work but i would want to wait untill he has made some clusters too.

Its more important/urgent that i fix the wierd shadows and the complete lack of attraction towards the middle area, which i actually intended to be the focal point for huge battles rather than everyone getting stuck in the side canyons.

So i'll release this new version and await for further snow themed models to be created by the community. Heck, im toying with the idea of modelling some myself, it can't be THAT much harder than mapping and i would be able to create exactly what i need/want.

3. Jimather

Jimather Member

1.1 is now up.

btw, does anyone actually want a server pack with things in bz2 ?

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Not really, its only on the FastDownload as .bz2, it still needs to be in the server files as a .bsp, so we need both anyway.

5. Jimather

Jimather Member

well that saves me some hassle

6. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

add something awesomely origional to this map, like slowly, randomly changing view distance with snowstorms.

superweapons will be cool too though

7. Jimather

Jimather Member

believe me i have thought about that ^^

if i can think of a way to do it convincingly with no lag then it will happen.

8. Satanchild666

Satanchild666 Banned

30 Minutes without a winner = Armegaddon?

*Poof* -=Mushroomcloud=- "Everyone loses"

9. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

what about this, this would be fricken awesome:

in some of the chokepoints, occasionally and at random intervals a snow drift will come down and entirely block the passage, destroying tanks and players in the gap and buring(or destroying if it's not possible to specify what gets damaged by the hurt trigger) buildings. if buildings are destroyed, you'd need to put some sort of indicator on the minimap and perhaps some props where the commander can see so he doesn't place a radar and have it crushed.

you'd get a 10 second warning with a screen rumble and a noise that an avelanche was coming down before it falls out of the cliffs at the side and fills the passage. after 5 minutes the avalanche sinks into the ground.

so the map is constantly changing with certain paths open and certain paths closed. that would be fantastic.

10. Jimather

Jimather Member

Right, i have some options regarding the doors, which would be best ?

Currently if the doors are closed there can be tanks piling up inside the base unable to get out. Now i have already added infantry only tunnels into the base as some people on a server suggested would solve the problem, as i think this makes it more interesting anyway. But do i also;

1. Add a button that can open the door temporarily if it is closed.

2. Add brush entities in front of the doors to detect people in vehicles of the right team and open the door for them.

3. Add a lift of some sort over the walls

4. Do nothing else, they have the infantry tunnels and if the team are too fail to open the doors again after they have closed them then its their own fault.

I'm currently leaning towards 2.

Btw, the snowdrifts thing might happen but im not sure. Would have to model a snowdrift and i still havent done the superweapons yet, know exactly how but its just a case of getting on with the brushwork and i thought the tunnels were more of a priority.

11. Omneh

Omneh Member

12. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

I dont' know J, i like the lift idea

13. Jimather

Jimather Member

Those do look sexy and for a single player game i think they would work well. But using between 50 to 400 entities for every explosion, (oh and mine would need more to move them around because its aimable) is just far too many for an empires map.

Also, my use of the word superweapon is probably a slightly grandiose term for what on my map is basically a small missile really. Not too much radius to it for gameplay reasons.

14. Jimather

Jimather Member

Lift idea would be more reliable and 'secure' than 1 and 2, i just think it would be quite hard to pull off without looking really silly.

15. Omneh

Omneh Member

I was working on a "cut down" version of the nuke, if your interested.

Still entity spammy, but doesn't eat 40% of your entdata.

16. Jimather

Jimather Member

I'll take a look of course, can i parent it to something and spawn it multiple times ?

17. Jimather

Jimather Member

New version up.

18. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

MWhahahahaha elevators!@!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

uhm you know that elevators dont work smooth in multiplayer?

20. Jimather

Jimather Member

I'd rather have a slightly jerky one than not at all.

And i think most elevators are based on func_door, this is func_movelinear so it might not be the same.

It was perfectly smooth when i tested it, but there was just me on the server.