emp_midbridge (or something)

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by pastori, Sep 30, 2007.

1. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

And get a new 2.2 version posted so I can start bothering the devs again about making it official :)

2. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

Looks great, pastori. I know that to some people, 47 fps is great, lol.

Please do look into the resource nodes - it's just frustrating trying to command and be quick on that map. There were so many times back in 2.12 where I'd be sitting there forever with a green refinery that I couldn't drop until I just tried maneuvering my cursor around to find the exact point where it could drop. That was the only thing I never liked about midbridge. Everything else is fantastic, and it's definitely a favorite map of mine.

ScardyBob is right and I hope midbridge makes its way into the official map list - and hopefully they make you an official mapper so that none of the others will ruin your map with an earthquake.

Keep up the great work!

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

It looks fantastic, really genuinely stunning, but I don't want the new Infantry bridges to get unused like the 2 towers in the previous version, so It'd be great if there was a really good reason to use them.

4. Omneh

Omneh Member

I would be pleased if I averaged 20 fps on one of my maps. :p

5. pastori

pastori Creator of huge bridges

sadly i forgot cubemaps

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  6. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

It's no worry, pastori. We can wait a bit longer. Your map is amazing, and I can't wait to throw it back onto Nachos when it's ready.

7. pastori

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  8. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

I will upload this to Nachos & Juicebox ASAP. Thank you so much, pastori.

9. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

You can see some parts of the 3D box that you shouldnt see
    If you walk on top of the big bridge you "walk strange" try it yourself cant discripe it

But looks nice :)

10. pastori

What??

11. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Its like wading through mud.
    Is the bridge a physic object?
    Cause those can behave strange in multiplayer...

12. pastori

The bridge consists of func_details and those normal buildable brushes (emp_eng_buildable or something, can't remember the exact name) and the physics objects are spawned via point_templates only once the bridge is destroyed. Walking on the bridge should not differ at all from walking on the buildable bridge on slaughtered.

13. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Its only if you walk as infantry on the parts that are destroyable.

14. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

Yay A version for 2.22! I have missed playing this map. :)

15. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

The moment I first loaded midbridge on Nachos & Juicebox last night, there were already like 7 or 8 people who went to spectator and said "I hate this map, why did the Admin force it upon us?" I'd just uploaded it, and set it to the nextmap... didn't really force it on anyone.

Ignore them though... there will be people who hate every single map. Many of us veterans have been longing for midbridge back, so thank you for updating it and bringing it to us again. Even some 2.2'ers seem to like your map a lot.

Your map is great, and above all, fun. Keep up the good work, pastori.

It's important to give all of these custom maps adequate playtime on the servers so we can get feedback and improve them... Seems to have always been an excessive amount of people who just won't cooperate with that though.

Cheers.

16. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

Last night I realized that parachutes are very problematic on your map. I know you didn't design your map in consideration for them (I didn't design mine that way either, and I doubt many mappers do). So what I did was disable parachutes for midbridge on the Nachos & Juicebox servers. What was happening was that people would keep getting on top of the cliffs near the NW, NE, SW, SE areas and just mercilessly rocket snipe CVs/vehicles, and mortar infantry and structures.

Though I've disabled the parachutes, I'm not sure the problems will go away - they just may not occur as frequently. I remembered that on emp_midbridge_b2 for 2.12, people could exploit to get onto those cliffs without parachutes sometimes.

I would recommend player clipping any areas of your map that you don't want infantry to ever get to. Having infantry able to get onto those cliffs is nearly map breaking. Sure, there's ways to kill them, but it provides such an advantage that it's extremely difficult to recoup from and induces an imbalance to the intended game play of the map.

All else is wonderful so far, and the map is fun.

17. communism

communism poof

I think he is aware of the parachute problem, if you chute towards the outsides of the map he teleports you to his death room. However if you chute towards the mid its all open and no playerclips/teleport. I kinda thought it was intentional

18. CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue Member

There is a hole in the map. Please when you get a chance check all your seems. Right now I can crawl inside one of the middle mountains from the center.

19. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

a screenshot would really help, cobaltblue.

20. pastori

No need to, I found it.

Possible and planned changes for the next version:
    - Making the map completely parachute proof, more teleports. It just is somewhat hard to know where you can go with 'chutes as it's not really testable without the plugin
    - Still needs easier refinery placement, though I myself have never had a problem with them (click on the middle or on the side columns with lights)
    - Railings by the water cliffside in the starting bases to prevent (accidental) commander diving
    - New bridge with a way up/down in the middle (basically a tower with stairs and ladders inside, possibly with a flag with resource generation or very slow ticket bleed in it)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009