emp_Hadrian

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Darg, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I love it! LOVE it. keep it up. new models always look better. can't you just use those boxy thingies over the details that means they don't draw from far away? you could use them over the bridge, and if possible, have a 2 D texture that appears when looking from far away.

2. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

They look a little too down to earth and modern to pass as something from empires imo.

Not to say they aren't good in their own right, mind.

3. Darg

Darg Member

I've been trying to think of ways to make them futuristic while still making them appear cheap for then. Any suggestions would be fantastic. I'm working on bathroom and bedroom models from now on so most of those can't really be modernised much anyhow. Some sorta metallic designed beds. And what would a kids gaming PC look like in empires?

I'm hoping to improve their looks during texturing to help them fit in more with the theme of the mod.

The overall theme of the town will be a small scottish village across a river though. Mainly old stone houses with a few modern and futuristic looking buildings. A small supermarket (one of the node locations) will have a very futurey look to it hopefully.

Any suggestions as to how to improve the models to fit in with the game would be great!

4. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

well the game does have an anachronical feel to it so I'd say more along the lines of something that would come from the 40-60s with only a tiny bit of modernism in them.

5. Darg

Darg Member

Good idea.. I'll see what I can do with the textures. The washing machine and dryer I might change slightly. I might make the TV a bit less intrusive as well.

6. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

oh 1 thing, you may want to change the name. everytime is see this thread i think "emp_hardon?!?!?". then again mabey im just a pervert.

7. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Yeah, uh... I certainly don't read it that way.

Now, emp_hadron, on the other hand...

8. Darg

Darg Member

lol.. well that's an important issue.. that you should get looked into. ;)

It is named Hadrian after Hadrians wall in northern england. I'm assuming that at some stage in the Brenodi / Jakartan (or whatever name they like) war they paused for a while and built a wall such as Hadrians wall.

Basically I'm taking a small village from south scotland / north england and changing it to fit into the Empires universe.

I'll probably be working on some more models for this today. Keep an eye out :)

9. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

are you actually going to take a street map and bring it to life? that sounds cooool.

10. Darg

Darg Member

I've been considering that if i can actually find a decent one that suits the style that I want. I have drawn up my own concept street map that I will use for now.

Mainly it will consist of old stone and plaster houses but in the centre of town you will notice some modern BE influences that have arrived since the merging of the two nations before the rebellion. There will be a wooded area inside an old town wall (mostly destroyed) that will have a new playground put into it.

I can't make the town too big as it's original goal was to merely be the area of highest combat in the map. I should be able to fit in most of what I have planned for it though.

11. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

those props look great, keep up the work. everytime i see this thread i get more and more exited to play the map.

ps: i think i was drunk or something on my last post, i dont remember typing it at all.

12. Darg

Darg Member

Thanks for the support. It makes it easier to go back into blender and start modelling the next lot of props. I've gotten to the bathroom props which are never the most fun ;)

13. Darg

Darg Member

Ok here is a preview of the ground floor models. I'm going to try and have some different models for each house but that may come after the first release of the map. For now I plan on just using these in various layouts for the town houses.

Next to come: Upstairs! :D

Total tri count for all the models shown here: 3590

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

amazing. How many houses will there be?

15. Darg

Darg Member

3 or 4 on each side of the river that will be completely enterable. Another 6 or 7 each side in backstreets that will either be unenterable or ground floor only.

The riverside ones will be the most important as they will be each teams main means of defending the river bridge. I'm going to limit the number of windows facing back away from the river on each side so that if the enemy do take your side of river houses it will be easier for you to take them back off them. Unless some bastard has placed mines all over ;)

I'll be away for the weekend so don't expect any more updates til monday when I'm back in work :)

16. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

Nice, but the couch/sofa looks really wierd, maybe give it a more bowl shaped look?

-Sheepe

17. Darg

Darg Member

I have had little or no time to work on the actual map of this lately. I only really get any free time when I'm in work (go figure) and I can't install hammer on my work laptop. I now have people working with me in the room I'm in so I can't do much modelling work either. Any work that i will do will most likely be for the game design studio I model for.

When I do get time to hammer I will most likely concentrate on the training map before I start working properly on this. That is to basically get grounded back into hammer after a year and a half away from it.

I'm still going to make this map just several things have to be given priority over it at the moment. The next update though should be an actual mapping one and not just models. Apart from a few upstairs models I have enough to work on most of the houses in the town.

I'll keep you updated on any work that I put into this.