emp_Hadrian

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Darg, Jul 11, 2006.

1. dnc

dnc Member

yeah do make the bridge repairable, and try to make its "life/hp" in seperate bits so a third of the bridge gets destroyed in one go...

2. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

that may be a bit too complicated though. for simplicity sake, i would just ask helion to use the bridge from slaughtered, but thats just the opinion of a lazy bastard.

3. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

Make each arch of the bridge destroyable... it'd neatios

-Sheepe

4. Darg

Darg Member

That's not a bad idea.. Then it wouldn't look so odd when one bit is left hanging in midair without support ;)

5. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

it would suck when you get stuck on a bridge that's destroyed at both ends

6. Darg

Darg Member

That would be good timing by your enemy so fair does to them. You can always swim over to the ladders that will be at either side.

7. Darg

Darg Member

Here is a preview render of the props that will be in some of the houses in the town. I have a list of 32 props for one house. I've done 9 of them here.

Most houses will have some different props but mostly the same stuff.

Comments and suggestions? Please let me know here.

[​IMG]

8. halbalbador

halbalbador Member

Those props look great, but why not just use the ones from hl2?

Plus, why make items for houses that are 20th century earth? I always thought this game took place in a different place and time. Isn't everything supposed to be furutistic?

Just some thoughts

9. Darg

Darg Member

I always prefer to use my own props. I can have them to the exact size and style I want. And anyway there are enough mods using halflife 2s props already.

There will be some futuristic aspects towards the props but mainly this will be an old and poor village relying on cheap equipment that may be outdated in newer towns and cities. Like plasma TVs and microwaves.

10. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

Yeah, but the more custom stuff you use, the larger the filesize is going to be.

11. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

Static props don't take that much space, but animated props on the other hand eat a lot more space. :) I think it's OK to have custom static props around... Just don't over do it. :D I don't want to dl a gig for a map.

12. Darg

Darg Member

Yea I know I'm gonna keep that in mind. Textures won't be anything revolutionary. I'm going to try and use the same images for the chairs and table and such. Cheating is fun.

13. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

Plasma TV? Nooo.... I don't think that that would fit... However, I could see a washer/drier all in one unit thats tilted at 45*.... or something...

-Sheepe

14. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

going by the feel of the tanks and buildings of the rest of the game i would try to make them both futureistic(sp) and mid 1900's at the same time. something like a plasma tv with rabit ears.

15. Darg

Darg Member

You know quackums.. I'm not sure about the rabbit ears.
    I'm hopefully gonna be able to give them nice shiny futurey textures. Keep in mind though that this is all set in a town that's probably been around since our near future. The houses will be similiarly designed to todays with some futuristic improvements around the place.

Seeing as how this would have been a predominantly NF town before they got taken over by the BE most of the textures and such will reflect the NF way of life.

The current house I'm working on would still have been being lived in right up until the battle but other houses in the town would have been abandoned or poorly kept up.

I'll be making more props today and I'll post a render of them when I'm done. Hopefully I'll manage to give them a futuristic yet poor look.

16. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

paint cans to shoot!!!! those are awesome props. have some clay pots for me to target practice on!!!
    [/acting 13]

Looks promising

17. Darg

Darg Member

There'll be plant pots!

18. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

like jim (the potted cactus) in wasteland?

19. Darg

Darg Member

I haven't been able to play wasteland but possibly? You'll see when the first betas of the map are released. Don't expect them for a little while yet though. I want to get a lot of props done first. Actually putting them into the map shouldn't take me much time. Expect some specific destruction models too. i.e. that plant pot will break up into ceramic and lumps of dirt and the plant itself instead of just cement blocks or something daft like that.

My original aim was to make as detailed and realistic a map as I possibly can for Empires as (no offense to the fantastic maps already out there) it seems to be lacking somewhat in the smaller details that I think really makes a game for me.

20. Darg

Darg Member

I've finished a few more props for inside the houses. Altogether this scene is just 2343 tris. I've used every trick I know to keep the poly counts down :)

Keep in mind that there is no smoothing in this render. That will only go in when I import them into 3DS Max. Also the reason that the low table has no top is because it is going to be glass. I will add that in as a destructible brush whereever I have the table.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2006