emp_coast_b1

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Tysn, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Tysn

Tysn Mapper

Link to map wiki: http://wiki.empiresmod.com/index.php?title=Map:emp_coast

emp_coast_b5 Released

Beta 5 Changes:

-Lowered several floating props
    -Fixed the wooden supports brushes' polys being cut up by an invisible brush accidentally
    -Reduced the light in the bunkhouse slightly
    -Fixed more road overlay seams
    -Fixed the bleeding light at the base of the cliffs in the BE base
    -Added a cave tunnel to the northern area of the map

Contains 10 resource nodes and one captureable flag:

-1x 4 Resource-per-second flag
    -10x 1 Resource-per-second node
    = Totals 14 Resources per second in the map.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Beta 5 Download Links:

http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/76348
    http://files.filefront.com/emp+coast+b5rar/;13326957;/fileinfo.html
    http://raegquit.com/Tysn/emp_coast_b5.rar

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  2. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Nice work :)

Your map will have an insane amount of resources.
    Recources scale with player number.
    Oh and flag recources dont scale what means
    the flag will absolutly unimportant.

3. Mageknight

Mageknight Member

That is one gorgeous map. I can't wait to see how it plays. Good job!

4. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

Textures look great, did u make them yourself? Also lighting looks nice, will have to play to comment on layout. Have you tested all areas have enough buildspace?

5. Tysn

Tysn Mapper

Crap. I wasn't sure how much resources are usually available per map so I just sort of guessed. Well I already have something to fix for b2 now. On average, how many resources are usually available on maps?

Yes I made the materials. There should be enough room in each teams starting area for every building, as well as enough room for at least a barracks by each res point. There's a lot of room for buildings north of the beach as well as in the oval shaped areas north of the BE and south of the NF bases.

Anyway, there's probably going to be other issues as well since I'm not completely familiar with all of the features in Empires as I am somewhat new. Hopefully it won't be a complete disaster for the first version though.;)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  6. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

on the map i work atm each team has one 2x ref and four 1x refs + one 5 res flag
    and it ends with teams having always over 5000 res (if they dont waste tanks)

Wide open maps need more res as chokepointmaps were you cant waste so many tanks

7. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Those textures look so amazing, you should do textures for the dev team.

8. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

qft (filler)

9. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

fix res playtest and make official plz

kthxbai

10. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

there's no extra material files in the folders, so i'm hoping it's fine.

Going up on Nachos.

11. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

I made an image to help explain what I think.

[​IMG]

alright, I marked in the most likely path the battle will take, given the limited amount of choke points on the map. It is pretty balanced but focuses on the center as the only way to get ahead of the enemy. That being said, the area with a ? needs to have something of value for both teams. As com, it would be troublesome to hold those refineries that are north of BE/ south of NF, as there are no good choke points in front of the refineries. It would be like trying to wall off the refineries north or south of the bases in dust storm.

Other than that, my only other thought is drop the base refineries to 1 output, then add 3-4 more res for the flag cap. Flag should have enough res to hold it's own if you wall off the north and south sides, but don't have anything around the ring. That would be ideal IMO.

12. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

13. Starcitsura

Starcitsura Member

Looks pretty

14. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

Looks very nice, and those textures are amazing.

I can't wait to play it.

15. Tysn

Tysn Mapper

Beta 2 Released

------

Changes:

-Lowered the res given by each node to 1
    -Bunker Flag now gives 4 res per second
    -Added 2 res nodes in the east and west of the map
    -Replaced clifftop translucent trees with orex trees
    -Raised sky area for commander
    -Fixed a few displacement seams
    -Raised the time needed to capture the bunker flag by 3 seconds
    -Flattened areas near the coast so it's easier to build

Contains 10 resource nodes and one captureable flag:

-1x 4 Resource-per-second flag
    -10x 1 Resource-per-second node
    = Totals 14 Resources per second in the map.

Beta 2 Download Links:

http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/76348
    http://files.filefront.com/emp+coast+b2rar/;12906599;/fileinfo.html

-----

I quickly threw together the next beta as the first release was too broken for any lengthy gameplay testing. This has a much needed res reduction, as well as a taller sky area for the commander and flatter terrain in some areas. I also added res nodes in the spots indicated by Metal Smith. This version should be good for a decent testing duration.

Also, is there any way to change the thread title? I didn't see the option anywhere when editing the main post. Could an admin change it for me, or are we supposed to create a new thread for each beta update?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  16. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

O.o not used to seeing stuff like that.

Just keep the thread, and update the first post. You'll probably just be tweaking res from now on anyhow.

Also, make sure you title the links with what version it is so there is no confusion.

17. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

and always change the filenames when u release a new version.

going up on noob server. if there's any probs i'll fix em up and rezip to here.

nice map btw, very purty.

18. Satanchild666

Satanchild666 Banned

This map most have taken allot of time.
    It looks gorgeous.

The reason why it looks gorgeous is because it looks realistic. It looks like something that could exist somewhere on this planet, or in the empires universe.

The textures are superb, and the terain looks natural and realistic.

19. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I'll put this up on emp4all ASAP. It looks fantastic. Whilst I can't comment on gameplay, visually stunning, yet at the same time, I'm sure we'll all get a good FPS.

20. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

As I explained to Chris0132 regarding the res on KUTM: resources that come from res nodes have a multiplier effect so that the more people there are playing on the server, more resources are output from each res node. Resources that come from flags however are not affected by this multiplier. This means in effect, that the more people playing on your server the less value any flag resources have. Even if ref nodes are 1resp/s and flags are 4res/ps, ref nodes could still output more resources than your flag if enough people are playing.

This has the unwanted effect of your map having a different balance depending on how many peple are playing, with this balance dynamically changing as players join or leave the server. This effect is also not very obvious (very few people, even mappers, seem to know about it).

There is a way to fix it however. If you change the flag entity not to give out res, but instead to spawn a refinery if the flag is capped, then the res given out by the refinery will then be scaled with more players like normal refineries. This means that you can give it more resources than your normal refs and it will still retain its relative value if there are more players on the server. The value of all sources of resource is retained so there is no imbalance when more players join.

If you are going to implement this you have a few options for how it works. If you want to keep it exactly as you have it already you could spawn your refinery somewhere off of the map (and off of the minimap so the building icon doesnt show) and have it spawned or killed as the flag is captured/neutralised. Alternatively, as Chris has done in KUTM, you could have the refinery spawn in-play, and then you could make it so it needs to be destroyed before the flag can be recaptured. Or you could make it blow up when the flag is neutralised, and then have a new one appear when the flag is capped.

I strongly suggest you implement such a system if you are continuing to update this map, as it is vital to game balance and keeping your map intuitive. Like I said this system is now in use in KUTM and as far as I know, it works perfectly.