emp_2fort

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Blighty, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Blighty

Blighty Member

HI, just wanted to show of some images for a map I'm making. It has 2 forts, figure out the rest yourself :P

Just finished the Brenodi base, it has 1 main door which can be opened from both sides. You can walk on the walls, and go down via a shaft where gravity is 0.25 of normal. When you walk out, gravity changes to normal again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. the_6th_monkey

the_6th_monkey Member

Those forts appear to be to well defended against tanks, and to badly defended against artillery.
    I mean its a death trap if artillery attack, all they need to do is have 1 person lobbing he shells into the centre of the fort and another artillery aiming at the door and then you've pretty much won :D

3. Nutcase

Nutcase Member

Agreed it an arty death trap with how the game is now, also the top of the walls don't seem to give infantry enough cover when shooting from them. The one gate also give the fort a problem as 6th monkey said with arty slaming it or infantry nade fest. Also the walls seem a weee bit thick even for a fort.

4. Blighty

Blighty Member

Its the same as a normal map, only its now harder to hit teh base because you have to arch your shots. I had another fort with very high walls, but those were so insanly high it wouldnt make sence.

besides, you can also build outside your fort

ill make another door and build some more cover for inf, maybe buildable? Any suggestions for arty raping of the door? Except making 8 of them

5. Nutcase

Nutcase Member

How about a canapy or little exits that infantry can jump down from and not get hurt that enemy infantry cant get to.

6. Blighty

Blighty Member

Infantry can jump down via gravity shafts, you cant go up. I guess it would be very effective to place some lvl 3 ml's on the walls, maybe too effective...

I had some neat idea's, there are several refinery spots in the map, some have bunkers near them that engineers can build/extend. Maybe some teleports to the middle bunker for anyone that captured the flag there

7. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Those last ideas seem really cool, Blighty! Indeed, there should be a canopy over the doors, possibly like a circular mini-cave:
    Code:
     . | |  .
    .  | |   .
    The . is the canopy, with the | being the door. Also, I maybe be mathematically mistaken (also I remember this from Gmod :) ) If the gravity in the "shafts" was .25 of game gravity, that would either make you lift higher or just float. In order to go down, you need the gravity at like 1.75 or something. And that would still be pretty slow. Try it with Gmod, and the gravity slider using an Admin mod....

8. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

Nope, it would make you fall at a quarter of the speed you normally would. In order to go up, gravity would have to be a negative number.

9. Blighty

Blighty Member

You can also jump 4 times higher, but you touch another trigger_gravity that puts it back to 1 when you reach teh floor

10. Blighty

Blighty Member

Srry for double post, heres an idea:

[​IMG]

Brainstorm me :D

btw, I got my minimap to work. The gravity jump works GREAT! :D

Last edited: Jun 29, 2006
  11. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Looks nice, but only one entrance to a base is far too easily defendable. This will just turn into another emp_money as it is.

How about a canopy which can be built in sections via walkways. This way, arty can fire through by destroying the canopy, but there is still a chance to get a defence up. Maybe 5x5 sections (25 pieces) could cover to form a roof with walkways in between?

Sorry if it's not very clear from my explanation.

Looking forward to seeing the NF base!

12. Stu

Stu BehälterGott

Work on the cliffs some, they are horribly plain and blocky.

13. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Ohhh... I see about the gravity thing now. Still, that's kind of a slow shaft... wouldn't it work better if it was 1.50, and then right before the end it was .25? That would be a pretty sweet ride! Also, I don't really get your drawing about the canopy... is the cross-thing a flat box canopy, or.. what?

14. Blighty

Blighty Member

im getting to the cliffs, I needed a wall so I made this fast

I'm not superman, cant do everything at once... working on the NF base now. It is round, looks nice I gues but its a pain in the ass in hammer editor

15. Blighty

Blighty Member

Im almost done with the NF base

Here are some screens:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, mr.bojang your idea wouldn't work. You would still fall with high speed even though the gravity is low. If you fall on the moon with high speed, you would still break your bones, even though the gravity there is 1/6 of on earth

Last edited: Jun 30, 2006
  16. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Ooooh, round! Please don't leave the textures on top aligned like that though, it looks fugly. Other than thatm it's nice. Very medieval.

This is correct. Gravity will only accelerate you at a slower rate, if you're already at a high speed then the only way to slow down would be to increase drag. This could be simulated by having either an area of liquid, or more practically an upwards force. I think the trigger_push entity is capable of this.

17. pickjaoe

pickjaoe Member

Nice work so far looking forward to playing this map.

18. Blighty

Blighty Member

added soundscapes (background sounds, like the gunfire in emp_district) and some lights. Also do you guys have any idea on how many tickets both teams must have and how many rifinery's there must be in total?

futher more, I cant find the model for the emp_resource_point_prop anywhere. Anybody know where I can find it?

ps. I made a plan for the shape of the rocks and place of refinery's

[​IMG]

19. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Hm. Well I guess I got pwned physics-style lol. Still, the whole water landing thing is done in just about every surf_whatever map in CS, and I don't think it looks professional at all. I would go with that push entity thing, or maybe a reverse gravity at a certain point; but that might cause a few problems. I suggest 5 refs, 2 on each side of the rocks ( 2 near BE and 2 near NF, like near the rocks in front of base towards mid) and if you can move over the rocks with infantry, 1 on top of the rocks. Otherwise, maybe 2 on each side of the rocks, where the two sides meet together?

BTW, your design (at least the theme) of the BE and NF base is awesome. I was expecting just a brownish red square, for a perfect asymetry map. It really feels like a NF base, with the design an all. Will there be bunkers like that on top of the BE base?
    EDIT: Now I see the 2 bunkers atop the BE base, but they are pretty small compared to the ones NF gets.

20. Geogriffith

Geogriffith Master Debater and Conflict Resolutionist

I'm guessing you have a trigger_gravity set up at each end of the shaft? Did you know that triggering it affects the physics of the entire map? As players ran in and out of the triggers, tanks going over bumps would start soaring into the blue... only to come crashing back down. Poor man's aircraft, I guess.

And trigger_push tends to look ugly, even on lan games. You get this annoying jittery effect, which only gets worse with higher pings.

Don't mean to burst your bubbles, I just wanted to warn you of my own disasters with source mapping...