emp_1:16th

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by tkeracer619, Jun 16, 2007.

1. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

I've been wondering about something, and maybe Krenzo can answer it for me.

The position of an object in the world is determined by the values of three floats or doubles. These coordinates have a robust amount of significant digits after the decimal, and are pretty damn accurate normally (at 1:1). However, when the map scaling is set to 1:16, is it still accurate enough for normal gameplay? When the players are scaled down, the engine isn't going to re-jigger its coordinate system, and it's still going to be using those three floats or doubles. Is the movement erratic or jerky on such a fine-grade level due to the limitations on the accuracy of the float and double data types? Is it neccessary to use a different data type with more accuracy at the expense of increased packet size? Is it even possible to change the data type without access to the source code or having to rewrite a large part of the code from scratch?

It's just something that's got me curious.

2. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

If you mean that vertex tool's scaling thing, then it will be quite much scaling for me. :P

3. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

No, there's another tool, but if you don't know it yet, i'll leave it to you to find out :P.

4. Mr. Weedy

You are mean. :(

5. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I would suggest you read through the content Here.

6. Mr. Weedy

I have but haven't found it yet. :(

7. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Ok, i'll help you then. You can find out about the simple tool Here.
    You should try and find out about all the tools yourself, always getting helped and then no help anymore may not be good for starting to map.

8. Mr. Weedy

Thank you for your help. =)

And for real I read plenty of pages about almost everything. I read like: Building your first map in Hammer, Introduction to Editing, Entity Inputs and Outputs, How To Develop A Map That Works, Displacement Surfaces (Terrain), Entity Hierarchy (parenting), How to Release A Map, Nodegraph construction, Physics Entity Overview, Creating and Using Prefabs, Prop Types Overview, Expert compile mode, Bspzip (Embedding Custom Content), Filter Applications, What's New, Hotkey Reference, Hammer Feature Requests, Abstract Mapping, Level Design FAQ, Compile Errors, Push Gameplay, Map Compiling Theory and How To Develop A Map That Works.

Most of those are quite useless for finding the tool which I were after and I didn't really read them all line by line but I took a long looks to them and read quite much of them all. Still I couldn't find that tool from those articles or I just didn't take enough close look to them.

Anyway I found some nice optimizing tutorials and if I make this big map which I'm planning to, then I need some of that info which I read.

Anyway thank you. =)

9. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

You should use the wiki's search tool on the left of the webpages to find what you're looking for, if it's Empires-specific you should look at the Empires wiki.

10. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Trust me, even if they didn't help you find 'the tool', they will have helped you a lot in other ways.