Does anyone want to do, the most tedious, mind numbingly boring task in the world?

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Trickster, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1034763/script files/vehicle_engines.txt

As you can see, there are 38 engines. 6 for each vehicle, + 2 for each CV. But upon diffing them bit by bit, you realise there isn't actually that much difference. But it's honestly a nightmare to work with. If I had the time, I would honestly do this myself, but I genuinely don't, and the vehicle engines are just unbelieveably difficult to work with.

Which is why I'm asking if anyone feels like entering all that into a spreadsheet. It may seem like a lot (it is), but chances are you can do one set of 6 engines, copy it over across 6 different sheets (different sheet for each vehicle please), and then edit the very limited amount of values that change. The only major changes are with APCs and jeeps, and even they're minor.

The general issue is, I don't have multiple monitors where I am, and there's no program that will let me diff 6 files at the same time. If anyone enters this all up into a spreadsheet, I can get SIP's updated to current values, and we can actually have usable information for all this stuff.

I know chances are no-one wants to do this, but I'm pretty desperate to work on the engines but every time I try to work on the spreadsheet, I run out of time before I get anywhere. If a few people clubbed together, it probably wouldn't take a huge length of time. Thanks to anyone here who's interested in helping out, I know it's boring as shit.

2. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  3. Trickster

If that works then I don't need the spreadsheet. Also, where are you? I've been sat staring at your offline icon for about 16 hours straight.

EDIT: FUCK I MISSED YOU FUCKING GET BACK ONLINE

4. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Fuck your not needing the spreadsheet... I made one so you fucking take it!
    I hope you have open office because my fucked up install of it doesn't want to export it into xls file unless JRE is install which it fucking IS, both versions!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11954784/Engine Crap.ods

also... Where is my internet cookies!?!?!?

5. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

6. ViroMan

I tried save as... it kept saying to install Java runtime environment WHICH IS INSTALLED! I have the x64 and 32bit versions installed.

7. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

reinstall maybe its broken? no clue, worked perfectly fine for me ...

8. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

haha I only had 20 minutes time this morning.

EDIT: Also I fixed the vpn. Not sure how I fixed it though...

9. Trickster

Oh thanks, but I need to get the scrim server working, it won't show in browser for some reason.

10. ViroMan

ya... the numbers for each engine are almost the same. :(

com engine disparity is funny though...
    BE com has almost the exact same power as all the engines do, which is 2550. NF com has 4250 an extra 1700 horsepower.

even more funny... the description for gas turbine says it excels in raw horsepower although 3 phase beats it. So 3phase it the best engine in the game. Top speed and Top horsepower. The only downside is it propensity for stalling.

11. Trickster

Yeah, my aim is to try and bring stuff more in line with what they're supposed to be like, and take advantage of the values.

Thanks, really. I can't describe how much I appreciate this, it should make my life a lot easier, I honestly didn't expect anyone to do it. So really, ViroMan and Flasche, thank you.

12. ViroMan

Well I had a typing class WAY back in high school, then when I worked at Safeway I had to punch numbers on a calculator for hours. So.. it only took me a short time punch that shit up.

13. Trickster

Well, seeing as you guys helped me out with this, I'll post this up here so you can give me first feedback before I hit the script thread in the main forums with this. The idea is to try and make every engine unique in some way.

[​IMG]

I'll leave this here for a day or 2 whilst I work stuff out in my head (you only need to read the 3 additional columns I've added, no values have changed), then start getting the full plan together.

14. ViroMan

"Part of new system for GT only"... GT = Gas Turbine?

15. Trickster

Yeah. The plan is to give it insane horsepower which is only at 100% when there's virtually nothing on the vehicle, just the engine and 0 plates. So if you fill it to full, it suffers. But then to counteract that, I'll give the horsepower reduction in relation to health a negative value, so that as you lose armour/hull, you gain performance back.

16. ViroMan

This won't allow it to climb impossible hills will it?

17. Trickster

Only testing will tell us that. I would guess that it might help get higher up some hills than it should, but unless the hill is particularly small, it shouldn't cause problems. I maybe over exaggerated a bit anyway. We're talking maybe 40% higher than the next highest engine, and 40% lower (at max weight) than it as well. Plus, to get the max out of it, you'd still need to have an empty tank.

18. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

Sounds good. It's hard to get a sense of things just looking at the numbers, only testing will tell for sure.
    A little unrelated but could you fix the thing where APCs sound like they have one gear or is that already fixed?
    EDIT: That might have something to do with the recorded sounds rather than the vehicle scripts.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  19. Trickster

I haven't changed the numbers at all yet, this is just a plan of what I intend to do.

And if that APC bug only happens with 3phase, then I know why. I think that someone thought shift up/down RPM would affect acceleration (I did) but it only seems to affect the gear sound. 3phase APC has a shift up RPM of about 3000, vs 600 for the other engines.

20. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Is heat capacity actually working? I remember suggesting that, but it's a shame it's not utilized.

Then again, let's try fixing what IS broken before we break another thing.