DOD:S maps

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Dubee, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

If converted do you think these maps could be as good as district402? I have been thinking about it a lot and think it would work well..

Donner and Ave mainly

2. boooooom3

boooooom3 Member

No.
    Just no.

3. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Your a jr. member with 6 posts, why should your opinion matter with out an explanation? I see it as a win/win situation.. Well designed custom maps that people don't have to waste time making, And if they suck then who cares? Some guy didn't spend hours/days in hammer making it

4. boooooom3

boooooom3 Member

District402 is a horrible, horrible map. Hour long stalemates are not what i call fun, and the more maps of that type the game has, the bigger the chance of it coming in a server rotation. Infantry only maps takes away the greatness of this mod. And "awmagawd only 6 post nub lollerzkatez".... I've been playing this mod since the release of 2.0 and loved it ever since. (hey, i can't help i didn't hear of it before that)

5. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

District 402 had bleeder flags added to end the matches pretty quickly.. You should of seen the old district that really did last hours.. And that version actually had a lot of fans.. Even tho the match is lasting 4 hours with no commander or tanks, the squads really come into effect more then they do in a normal pub game.. Plus emp weapons and skills are the best :)

I think its a good map to get servers populated and these could probably do the same.. I actually Imagine donner and ave being better then district because they are wide open and have more paths and balance

6. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

avalanche could be great. :>

7. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Why does join date make any difference?

The two games are different, as are the two art styles, if you want quaint french cottages textured in concrete then sure, but unless you're going to redesign the whole map (in which case why not just make your own?) I don't see the point.

8. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

If krenzo or someone who knows this mod as well or better then me says no.. Then I have no reason to question them.. If some guy who I don't know says that then I want too see if he has good reason or not.. I'm not trying to be like "omg noob your stupid" or any of that internet mumbo jumbo you guys say..

Obviously the way the map looks is more important to you then me.. I could care less if it isn't "empires themed" I just want a good map to play. :D

9. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

A map having the correct visual theme is part of what makes it a good map.

Perhaps that's simply a mapper thing, as we get into trouble if we don't pay attention to how it looks.

10. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

I would say yes. If they arenĀ“t as linear as district.

11. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

You can't convert them, it's illegal.

12. Empty

Empty Member

How is it illegal to take a DoD map, set up some entities within the mod itself to make the DoD entities actually show up, and then use it, we haven't modded anything, and if someone doesn't have to map, they get booted.

DoD is really easy to get your hands on, it comes with like everything...

Also, Joindate elitism is wrong. your an ignorant person grape.
    Everyone's opinion matters, and should always be backed up with arguments. I'm not going to listen to Krenzo say 'No repair turrets' if he doesn't give any reasons, I'll question him as to why. Yeah, the guy didn't back up his arguments, but jeez man, "why should your opinion matter": *cough*Fascist*cough*

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  13. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Because DOD:S is not mounted for half-life 2 by standard, so just like with CS: S content, you have to mount them and make sure players own it. Since DOD: S contains no useful materials, there is no point to mounting it, so no it isn't allowed to use the maps.

14. the_6th_monkey

the_6th_monkey Member

Sorry this would be a very silly idea..

I have dod source so it wouldn't be a problem for me but for the 90% of people who don't own dod: source and therefore wouldn't be able to play empires legally I believe there would be a problem

Also I think copying maps from another mod/game is just silly, the style should just be used as inspiration for future empires maps...other peoples stuff shouldn't be ripped off.

There is also the other fact that a dod map in empires would play completely differently in empires as it has been designed for another weapon system so the conversion might not even be as fun as you expect

15. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

LOL... I am pretty far from a fascist

I am an ignorant person for alot of reasons hahaha.. But my comment about why should his opinion matter was basically another way of saying, explain your reason for such a short negative reply.. I gave him the same amount of respect he gave me.. This game always has alot of new people who think they know everything about this game(rush nukes!).. I don't like elitism and am not trying to come off that way but I guess I did.. And I honestly don't really care.. cause know I am not that way

I've seen CS maps in DOD:S and when I play DODS I think to myself.. Man I wish I had a mowtar right now. But if this Ideas to far fetched then thats fine.. Thats the reason I brought here for discussion.. I am just tierd of the current maps and all the good customs are taking years to make

16. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

Is there anything wrong with taking the layout & retexturing it with Empires textures, Cuz I myself have seen maps like 2fort (classic not TF2 version), complex from Goldeneye, & that map from Gears of War that takes place in the canal & it kinda looks Venice pop up in stuff like HL2: DM, & CS:S using common Source textures.

17. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Theres a difference between recreating a map, and copying it. What grapehead proposed was to open the map in hammer and make the changes needed for it to run in Empires. That, as Solokiller said, is illegal. Those maps you mention Pope, would have had to have been recreated by the mapper, not copy-paste-modify-publish.

Also, theres a difference between making the maps for Empires and CSS. Empires is a small free mod that could be legally shut down if Valve decides to take action on the infringement of their DoD:S map copyrights. CSS is also owned by Valve, so they cant really stop the maps there short of content filtration, with isn't feasible considering the volume of CSS content.

18. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Actually I think It would work really well.. The maps are larger, have better cover, better spawns and more paths to take.. Thats the main reason why I bring this idea up

I think this is where the key word "custom" comes into play.. They can't sue empires because I am using DODS weapon sounds.. Just like they can't sue emp because some guy who isn't apart of the dev team made a dods map for emp.. This isn't going to be for sale and the mapper wouldn't take credit for it.. I Just see it as a quick map appetizer(a mappetizer lol) while the real ones get made

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  19. Chahk

Chahk Member

I think this would set a bad precedent for would-be mappers that would lead to a myriad of cloned DOD and CS maps.

I am talking about official emp maps here. If someone wants to go through the trouble of opening uo a DODS map in Hammer, replacing all DODS content with Empires stuff, and then hosting it on their server then by all means. However, I do prefer maps with original concepts rather than the boring old ones that everyone's played a thoudand times over already.

20. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I don't think it would.. That would be retarded of a mapper to spend that much time on somthing thats not original.. The only reason I think this would happen is if the DODS maps turn out to be really great for empires

Well I'm talking about custom maps.

Thats a good point.. We have all played every emp map a million times.. And all the good new maps are still in a process of being made(like chris' map). Yes we have played the dod map a million times too but it would be like a new map in empires.. District is the map you goto when you have 4 players in a server to get it populated.. Thats the only map to do that, would be nice to have more because alot of people hate district(that map grew on me :))

I just wanted to know if it would be easy to do and if so then I think it would be worth a giving it a try..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.