Do I understand The Scout?

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Sanguis, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Sanguis

Sanguis Member

Mortars are pretty good if someone is on the move. I predicted a Light Tanks movement on slaughtered and fireed over a cliff and killed it, or the driver I am nto really sure if the vehicle died or if the guy just hopepd out t repair it.

Hmm I think I just Hijacked my own thrad..

2. rat-morningstar

rat-morningstar Member

my point on the "remoce scout rifle" is: why remove it? the AR is as acurate for headshots and the mortar can insta-kill a lot of infantry.
    as it is now, the AR is like "the auto-sniper rifle +3 of accuracy"

3. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

the scout class is broken, it currently doesn't help the team massively.

the solution is apparently to remove the one weapon in empires that isn't "crouch and hold mouse1 at enemys chest until they fall over"

I'll miss you sniper, both fighting with and against it.

4. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Stop whining already, if you can't adapt to a changing environment, you can't handle being a scout.

5. Sanguis

Sanguis Member

"stop whining" is probably the least productive thing to say.

The Scoepd Rifle is not intended to be a sniper rifle, I believe that was said elsewhere in the forum, and scouting from the rear is not very productive.

The thing is honestly, Riflemen are not terribly useful in non conquest maps either. They can sticky tanks yes, but overall mid to late game when everyone is in a vehicle, most people go gren or engi.

The scout is a class ment to go forward and I have said time and time again, disrupt the enemy with sabotoge and stealth. Sneaking into or near their buildings and sabotoging to keep one, two, or three engi's busy while other people hunt for the scout and thus free your team to push. This also helps to deny the other team proper reinforcementsi n that you can sabotoge a barracks or vehicle factory and limit ro at least slow the enemy team. if Empires has taught me anything, in three seconds a game can shift almost without warning if the other team uses ALL of their classes properly. Engineers to build and maintain, Grenadiers to destroy from range, Riflemen to be the anti-infantry they are, and the scout sabotaging the enemy.

I personally think Sabotoge is an overlooked skill, but let me put it in perspective.

A typical base defence when a team is being pushed abck is walls and turrets, hoping to frind the enemy down. Now mid to late game those level 1 ML turrets are still annoying, and those Level 1 MGs are even worse. ONE scout can make an entire turret farm dissapear without detroying them (As I recall teams have a max number of turrets and a well coordinated teamcan replace destroyed turrets quickly). nto to mention the sabotoge of the barracks and VF preventing them from charging you.

A Scout is useful, but the usefulnes of a scout is often overlooked because people are so busy sniping from way behind the lines. A scout as it stands can either
    A. Sniper and get a couple of kills and annoy some engineers.
    OR
    B. Take an SMG, some smoke or concussion nades and take down turrets and the enemies ability to properly counterattack.
    OR
    C. Yell at people for being stupid.

C is the popular one, then A, then B. I prefer B because there is nothing like making an engineer paranoid that you might be hanging out on his turret. Also the amoutn of people that suspect a scout to not take every shot he can get is astounding, If you wait for someone to pass you, you can get kills while still fulfilling what I said in B.

Anywhooo that was long.

6. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

The Scout

Riflemen are very useful in conquest maps. They are great at taking down enemy infantry at any range and sticky grenades are deadly on most conquest maps. I usually find 25% to 50% of the team is rifleman.

The problem is, most scouts don't go around sabotaging things. They hang back near friendly troops and snipe enemies. I would estimate that 90% of scouts sit around sniping, while 10% actually sabotage enemy buildings.

The biggest problem is that it's much easier to sit back and snipe than try to sneak into an enemy base. Besides, once you're in there, it only takes a smart enemy with scout detection to find you. I find that new players always go scout because they are used to using a sniper rifle - nearly all shooter games have them and they are very powerful in those games, as well as easy to use. New players need to know that going engineer is much more useful.

7. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Change class to scout, get senses, kill scout in base, change back, profit!

Sabotage and stealth dont anoy the enemy, they are as dangerous as
    a fly to an elephant is.

Turrets are a joke if you have HE nades/shells.

Grenadiers and engineers can take out turrets quick and take that ground.

If I command im always pissed of those scouts in the enemy base.
    All of them refuse to killspawn and help where actually is help needed.
    Cause they are superawesome sneaky in the enemy base -.- .

8. rat-morningstar

rat-morningstar Member

frthgji

9. Empty

Empty Member

Yeah, you're a dumbass.
    Sabotage smokes and stealth led to some of the elast pleasant matches recently on the TS, I spent more time repairing sabbed barracks than building things, and there were always jeeps loaded with scouts, mass sabotage is not something you can just brush aside, it kills your reinforcements if they hit the barracks, it ruins your vehicles, it disables your area denial, all I can say is, 7 scouts on the enemy team scares me.

10. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

And then you realise that turrets are useless, and not place them, and realise that you should have more than one base, and if they're in your base sabotaging everything, they're not in a tank or apc being a credible threat to your team

11. Empty

Empty Member

No, we kept dropping turrets and their strikes were actually really smart, they each got an APC and bailed as soon as it lost 3 plates, then they rushed up to the buildings and sabbed as much as they could.

12. Sanguis

Sanguis Member

If you read what you replied to I think you would realize that makes no sense. I said non-conquest maps.. On Conquest Maps Riflemen are the shit.

Also I would not fear a team of 7 scouts, I would however fear a team with 3 scouts sabotaging a barracks, a VF, and the turrets while their teammates batter all three.

Sabotaging gives another benefit if you bring an SMG along for the ride. When people go to get a vehicle, or repair the VF from the inside because it is being pummeled you can kill them relatively easily if you hide in a corner. I have had people so close I could touch them and they didn't see me.

Scouts + Team working with the Scouts = Win.

The problem is when scouts don't work with their team. If a scout is running around doing his own thing it typically ends poorly, which is where the difference lies. A scout can more easily do what he wants then any other class. A gren running around the enemy base by themself is just as useless unless they have ammo, otherwise in all honesty they can't do much.

1 Engineer can destroy and entire base in an hour and a half of deconstruction.
    1 Grenadier can destroy one building unless they go in with the extra ammo load, then they can blow up two or three (woooo)
    1 Rifleman can keep killing people in a base but will die soon.
    1 Scout can sabotage and force players to start with half health or insta damage vehicles from a VF.

Any one of those by themself (with the exception of the full ammo gren) running around a base by themself is effectively useless unless they're affecting the front lines in some way. the Scout can affect the front lines if they sabotage a barracks, or a VF. The Gren and Engineer can destroy buildings but will, more often then not, be killed soon after they start trying to (Gren may get the barracks down with a 9 mine though)

Anyway the key to good scouting remains in teamwork. All classes are useful assuming they are performing with other classes.

13. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Its frustraiting to post it again but well, i can as every other player, take down
    an enemy base WITH FUCKING EVERY BUILDING IN IT as engineer in less than
    3 minutes.

14. Sanguis

Sanguis Member

you know I feel like a noob but I JUST remembered that engineers have infinite grenades.

*bashes his head against his desk*

15. rat-morningstar

rat-morningstar Member

a: if the engineer gets into your base you should build some turrets
    b: even 1 guy can kill him in like 5 seconds

16. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

the scout has the potential to be by far the most effective character in empresmod, although it would require hard core cooperation and "knowing exactly what to do and when" between the comm and at least 2 other players... and that just isn't practical...

17. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

one engineer can destroy your base AND build his own base. sneaking around an enemy base is fun BUT not time efficient.

sabotage IS good when supporting a squad. in my opinion and experience it's faster and stealthier in damaging an enemy base, plus sabotaged stuff doesn't work well. sabotaged VF produces damaged goods.

though i think sabotage should damage something to 25% health

18. Empty

Empty Member

It's fun when you're hiding in a base and constantly getting kills, you have to constantly change your position, but if you have melee upgrade you just chew them up and they never find you. In other news, the NF barracks has several places INSIDE it where you are completely invisible.

19. Etova Kala

Etova Kala Member

Do share. Those invisible scouts are driving me mad!

20. Empty

Empty Member

Duck inside the corners, complete invisibility.