different vehicle/engine, different horsepowers

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by BlakkCooper, Jul 7, 2008.

1. BlakkCooper

BlakkCooper Member

you know what makes me RAGE? light tanks that have the same horsepower like my heavy tank. if one light is behind me and another @ my front and they pushing me... I CANT MOVE?! SRSLY I HAVE A FUCKING 1337 WEIGHT HEAVY TANK WITH 3 PHASE AND THEY JUST HAVE THOSE 783 WEIGHT TANKS WITH FUCKING SMALL GAS TURBINES. it's the same with the jeeps... A JEEP CAN RAM ME AND MAYBE GET UNDER ME SO I CANT MOVE.

i think it would be realy nice if different vehicle/engine = different horsepowers.

Pros:
    • lights can no more block heavys (or meds; etc.)
    • if you have a more horsepowers u can push enemys into the water / off the cliff
    • the cv cant be blocked so easily
    • less RAGE (good for my heart / my anger problems)
    Cons:
    • none
    Alternatives:
    • none

2. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Gas turbine is a powerful engine.

3. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

that made me lol. At least he's honest with us :\

4. Demented

Demented Member

The horsepower differences between engines is almost negligible.
    The RPM difference is more significant, but I'm not sure how that translates into performance in the game.

5. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Ive heard tanks have not more horsepower because that would give some
    really weird results. Blame source engine :/

6. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

You'd be riding' spinnas, not heavies. The NF med is one of the worst, it literally hops around if you perform the right actions.

7. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Honestly, I think the issue here is more one of weight and mass than horsepower. A jeep that collides with a heavy should bounce off without having the slightest effect on the heavy at all; a heavy that runs into a light or a jeep should barely be slowed by it no matter what the relative engines are; and someone who tries to pin a heavy with a light should get fairly easily pushed out of the way. Any engine capable of moving a heavy is simply not going to care about the additional weight of a jeep that much.

Of course, the gameplay effect of this would be to make heavies even better compared to smaller tanks, which is probably not needed.

But still, I think it's fair to say that the use of jeeps to try and flip heavies is an absurd tactic that shouldn't be in the game. The fact that it rarely works only makes it more annoying -- I don't think anyone would regret it at all if it was set up so tanks always win when they collide with jeeps, and simply flatten them if they end up on top somehow. Bumper cars vs. bumper tanks is not a fun gameplay mechanic and should not be encouraged.

This should probably wait until the other changes intended to make jeeps more useful in other ways are in, of course.

And while, I know, realism is not a big goal, there is a point where things end up feeling so stupid in their unrealism that they're worth addressing, since it hurts gameplay if players are constantly bashing their head against the keyboard at the way things work. I think a jeep flipping a goddamn tank over, tanks bouncing around as if they're made of cardboard, and people playing bumpertanks are among these things.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  8. dra6o0n

dra6o0n Member

Make heavier vehicles have the ability to crush smaller vehicles by making them go off in a small explosion if the heavy vehicles are moving too... That will fix the jeep ramming.

Maybe gives tanks more grip on the lands and allow them to run over jeeps?

Make explosions from running a vehicles minimal damage so you don't have a heavy crushing a jeep and all of it sudden it explodes too.

edit: a new suggestion would be that heavier vehicles that goes on top of smaller ones will start doing damage per second to the small ones, which will eventually blow up or crushed. And make it so crushed vehicles can clip through the heavy vehicles.

9. Empty

Empty Member

I believe it was mentioned elsewhere that vehicle physics are getting an overhaul, jeep flipping will be fixed and they shouldn't be able to jail a CV against a wall. There's soem tweaking to be done but hopefully the devs will fix everything up.

10. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Source as far as I know doesn't actually have a 'horsepower' system.

It's got force, but that's directly linked to speed as far as I know, so you can't do high-torque low-speed very well. Whereas in real life you can use gears to make your engine revs into greater force at the expense of top speed.

11. communism

communism poof

lol
    Last week when he got killed by nukes

This week when he got raped by super lights

12. Empty

Empty Member

Can't wait til he hits rails :D

13. Dragon-Commando

Dragon-Commando Member

The force system you could use would be wheel torque, not horsepower.

I did a fue tests in gary's mod a while ago, and you can get more power without getting more speed, however, if you do this on a lighter vehicle it will give you faster acceleration. So in short, it is perfectly possible to get realistic tanks, that have more power but less speed. And you can still have uber fast jeeps with absolutely garbage pushing power, provided they are lighter.

For example

Light tank:
    Max wheel torque - 750Nm ( I think source measures torque in Nm)
    Max wheel speed - 200rpm
    vehicle weight - 40 tons
    Jeep:
    Max wheel torque - 340Nm
    Max wheel speed - 350rpm (light tanks have smaller wheels, so the difference will add to the speed)
    vehicle weight - 2 tons

I could write a whole list of apropreate weights and torques for the different vehicles, but it would take a while to figure them out.
    The heavy tanks would be around 90-120 tons, I can tell you that right now

14. BlakkCooper

BlakkCooper Member

i think that's a pretty cool solution!

15. Empty

Empty Member

Gmod wheels =! vehicle wheels.

16. Lord_Doku

Lord_Doku Member

i love Empires cuz of alot of things, but one of the main reasons is the lack of realistic physics with vechicles. I say keep it like this, and make no change at all.

17. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

Boo. I would much prefer an improved engine torque system, to make it more interesting to have different engines researched. Vehicle gameplay would be greatly improved and loads more fun if vehicles had weight and torque applied properly, also adding more ramming damage would be sweet :)

18. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Ye, if you've bought a heavy, you should feel heavy. Yea, try to fix this, someway or another..

19. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

We're looking into fixing all the engines, but i can't reveal anything yet.

20. Dragon-Commando

Dragon-Commando Member

one other thing I'm thinking about is the massive throttle off oversteer the jeeps get, I know it has something to do with the wheels.

I think you need to work on suspension geometry, I mean actualy add camber, caster, and toe to the suspension. I have done this with self made vehicles in Gmod, and it helps, so it should work with the vehicles in Empires.

Its as simple as adding a bit of a lean to the rear wheels, a bit more on the front, and making the axis of the steering tilt back or forward a bit. This way you have a bit more steering responsiveness. Toe isn't as important, but you could play with the toe of the front wheels and see what it does.