Diablo 3, or why Blizzard keeps on disappointing me

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by cpugeek, Jun 29, 2008.

1. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

The problem with you crittic is that you really have to play diablo to know
    WHY it works. Diablo is only hack & slay item collecting rpg THAT REALLY
    WORKS.

2. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Quoted for falsehood, i'm damn sure you haven't played them all.

Cpugeek, the reason you get that response (apart from the fact that the internet is full of people who don't want to understand), is because of the stance on your article. Things from a neutral stance invite more discussion, when it's from an opinion angle, people will just contest or agree with you. But you really have to be an authority on the subject to have more people agree with you.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  3. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

well people in general dont want anything new, they just wand to believe its
    something new.

4. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

If I didn't know any better, I would think you were joking with that blog post Cpugeek, no offense XD

New story, new characters, new items, new levels, new features. It's solid gold, why change it to something else? Innovation isn't necessarily better.

I'm not really a fan of DOW etc, homeworld fuck yes, but nothing Relic made was really innovative, they took existing concept and gameplay and made it into a game of high quality with superb gameplay and fun elements, that's all that should matter, same should go for Diablo games. If you didn;t say you were a diablo virgin, I would just think you're biased and indeed being one of those guys that takes a random new game, claim the obvious and say it sucks.
    It's easy to see that diablo3 isn't an innovation, blizzard is huge, diablo is old skool, would you rather have the obvious milking, or falsely believing a game is innovative and that a company came up with their ideas all by themselves.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  5. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Yeah pretty much d2 is an amazing game and if they fixed hacking/duping and I knew where my cds were I'd be playing it.

6. Sherbie

Sherbie Member

[​IMG]

Dude talks too much...

Get a few friends to group up with you in multiplayer and try the games.
    These games are just the kind of games you always feel like digging up and playing. The experience is just really well though through, the presentation is polished... they did the best they could do with what was possible.

7. Empty

Empty Member

It isn't the only RPG that pulls the grind off, but it's one of the best, seriously, you can't critique a game when you haven't played the upcoming one, let alone the games preceeding it. Grow some brains buddy, Blizzard hasn't disappointed anyone except when they failed to ban DotA but that's a different story.

8. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

What? DOTA RULES. We are talking about defense of the ancients right for wc3. Oh man I was fucking 1337 at that. Yeah but in like grade 7/8 me and my friends had so much fun playing d2

9. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

I guess I'm just fed up with formulaic gameplay in general. To be honest, most games bore me nowadays. I don't want to play another grind-till-your-wrists-hurt action rpg or another copy-and-pasted rts game. The only things that really excite me are those that try to push ahead with their gameplay. Sure, Diablo 3 might look nicer, have lots of new characters and monsters, and new classes/spells, but isn't it just Diablo 2.5? I mean, if you're a Diablo fan, more of the same should be fine, but I think that Blizzard should be a little more creative.

On an interesting note, Diablo 3 can easily be compared to Halo 3 in these respects. Many of the people who were dishing on Halo 3 for not being different enough are now praising Diablo 3 for staying the same. I've learned that hardcore gamers are very fickle people.

10. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

Dude. Its cuase we're jaded. The more we play, the more we need. Thank god for third party games (Spring ^_^). Noone knows what gamers want more than gamers without a time restraint

I find the problem is developers know pretty games are winners. Graphics over gameplay in terms of money usually.

Edit: Diablo was boring. I like to think when I play games.

11. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

What you see is what you get.
    And every buyer of Diablo 3 knows that.

Im not the biggest fan of the "art style"
    of diablo or the setting but the game mechanics
    of it are way the best you can get in that
    sub-genre (I mean d2)

Its like buying a burger, shure that are like
    one million junk-food chains arround but
    theres only one that makes the perfect
    burger and why bother with the rest :)

If somebody programms a new chess
    game nobody says "uh its not inovative
    its just the same old game like 500 years ago"

12. Empty

Empty Member

Yay, yet another tired boring painintheass whining game blog-reviewer.

Just what the internet needs more of.

13. Chahk

Chahk Member

Ha! I remember wearing that one in EVERY slot :)

Anywho, Carpal Tunnel 3 does not interest me at all.

14. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

You're right, the internet needs more skilled jaded viewers.
    Face it, no matter how good the game, we have seen it before.
    It is fun, sure. You can improve it with maps, sure.
    However, unless they branch out in new ways they will not get new players.

15. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

Fan boys are the ultimate "crap-givers" when it comes to wanting innovation in a game. Fan boys do NOT want innovation. They want it to be the same damn game they fan boy over.

Blizzard doesn't disappoint me even a little bit. WC2 to WC3, they drastically changed what the game play was. If your complaining about cartoonish graphics, get the hell off the computer and go walk outside and play basketball, more realistic than any NBA game you'll ever play. Diablo to Diablo 2 (though repetitive monster slaying didn't hold me fancy) was amazing in terms of features and the ability to drag so many players through 80 hours of game play. Come on, you gotta admit thrashing though a dungeon with a horde of 20 zombies is awesome along with a party of other characters with their own magic and abilities and equipment.

World of Warcraft, they took Warcraft 3 and turned it into a VERY rock solid MMORPG. Its awesome compared to the run of the mill mmo's. Its not Eve, but that's not what it tired to do.

SC2, I can't comment because its not even released. Its also got its own fan boy thing going on, and I'm sure it'll be awesome no matter what because its got the map editor with even more features so creativity will make online multiplayer a thing of beauty. I'll trust the blizzard team to keep the standard gameplay fun and engaging, a tactical game that'll reward the fastest and smartest commanders. If not, asians will never stop playing SC: Brood War.

Alot of games haven't exactly been innovative *cough* bomberman and other die'ng series *cough* But daiblo is nowhere near the worst of them.

16. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

I'll agree that Warcraft 3 was an excellent game. It brought many nice innovations in and basically reinvigorated the genre.

Cartoonish graphics have their place, but starcraft is not one of them imho. The tone of the first game was very dark, and I feel that Blizzard is ruining that by WC3-ifying the graphics of the new one. I know people say that cartoonish graphics give games more character, but I don't want my ultralisks decapitating marines with shiny pink helmets. I never said anything about realistic. I see a lot of grey and brown in Diablo 3, but no one is complaining about that (except for the people who think that its not grey and brown enough).

Thrashing around a dungeon filled with zombies was fun back when i was in middle school. Now, after doing that for a decade the whole romp around killing countless, mindless undead thing has become a bit stale and trite.

17. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

I think people are trying to over-complicate the issue : /

Diablo 3 isn't trying to be innovative, it's trying to improve on an already succesful model.

18. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

I remember when I first played Starcraft, I thought the units looked like Fisher Price toys :p (Especially the Terran Marine).

Actually come to think of it most of Blizzard's games have a cartoony look to them, it's pretty much their style, kinda like how Free Radical Design & Rare has it's own style (Though there exceptions like the first Diablo, Haze, Goldeneye, & the original Perfect Dark). When you see someone playing one of their games it's usually easy to see who made it by just looking at it.

19. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

All I hope for is that they make the creep .. creepier? More like the dirty thing it was before and not the metallic tile it's all right now.

20. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

The SC2 graphics look Starcrafty to me. They didn't really want to change thier art style for the Starcraft series I guess and from what I've seen they really didn't.

I'm with you that romping mindlessly through dungeons did get boring. Its just that romping fun got alot of fans who hold those memorys dear.

Blizzard will keep disappointing you to make money. They got a bunch of extremely reliable money makers they'll hold on to till they want to risk something new. Sorry mate, D3 and SC2 are for the millions of fans. The koreans must be pleased lol.

Going to Halo 3, I thought it was an awsome change of pace compared to the jump from Halo to Halo 2. Halo 2 introduced multiplayer, that was about it. Halo 3 was a beast packed with a bunch of features and content and changed gameplay back to Halo 1 style (which was made it much more enjoyable than Halo 2 >.>).

At least Blizzard isn't pumping out Dynasty Warrior games (ROFL's!) Theres a lack of innovation for ya.

In terms of your writing, I sugguest you keep from being one sided as noted by other people, becuase they are alot more hardcore fans than there are people who havn't played Diablo 2. Provoke thought to get praise, dont rant. Your only able to rant if your hilarious and use comedy (theres a reviewer who does that, English chap judging by his accent but I cant remember his name. Has video reviews using cartoons and he talks fast at a very fast pace and is absoluetly hilarious).