Detonation from destruction on vehicles

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Private Sandbag, May 31, 2007.

1. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

When vehicles are blown up, it looks bloody fantastic to see them fly into the air and do flips and such.

but there are a few times when it looks wrong.

destroyed by grenades
    deconstructed
    destroyed by being upsidown/in water
    destroyed by anti vehicle machineguns

is there a way that if it is destroyed by these methods, it doesn't bounce into the air?

2. KILLX

KILLX Banned

why should it not blow if its hit with grenades? don't forget, tanks aren't full of stable things, theirs plenty of stuff that will explode inside once the hull is breached.

I agree with water and deconstruction though.

and the Depleted Uranium Heavy Machine Gun (I think thats the anti vehicle MG) should still make it explode, their bullets made of the same stuff top-of-line tank armor is made of, and it can easily hit munitions or destroy a tank systems.

3. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

I actually have the opposite view. Tanks shouldn't be bouncing around like flubber.

Those things, ESPECIALLY heavy tanks, have to weigh like 4 tons or something. I wouldn't expect to see a big, hunk of machine and metal to just pop-off the ground and do a barrel roll.
    Note: They DO barrel rolls. Ask Sandbag, his LT did a barrel roll on the map with the city + pyramid.... ugh I hate not knowing map names...

4. KILLX

KILLX Banned

your right there. only LT's and jeeps should bounce.

when a tank blows, it would be good if the tank was replaced with tank parts laid out like a tank, but so that the explosion that destroys it can tear it apart.

basically, one second its a tank, then its a heap of parts hit with the death-dealer explosion.

5. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

When the vehicles are moving very fast they sometimes go airborne and hit somebody when destroyed, especially when hit by mines.

6. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

You'd hope they'd weigh more than 4 tonnes for heavy tank, thats only a few normal sized cars (or one tiny car for those of you who are American).

7. pickjaoe

pickjaoe Member

They should bounce for every way of dying. It signifying that the tank has died and the new players will stop shotting them and move on. I have seen countless times in 1.07 where people were attacking dead tanks.

8. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

especially when fighting in the shade with that black model problem

9. Caelo

Caelo Member

meh that has been fixed already so..
    I would love to see a big explosion and a mushroomcloud if the vehicle had nukes :D (you guys see where I'm going right?)

10. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

some very good points here.

the truth is that when a tank dies, most of the time it will just grind to a halt. you don't need to do very much damage to any machine to stop it working. take your computer or games console, or to be more realistic, a car: the thing doesn't need to go off in a fireball to stop working. if a grenade destroys a vehicle, the chances are that it's blown a hole in the bottom and killed the crew, or broken some of the gearbox. shrapnel and seizmic grenades that we have arn't going to detonate ANY ammunition.

also, nothing in life is actually going to go higher than a couple of meters, and do a flip at MOST. thats from a big explosion. mines sending things into barrel rolls just doesn't look real. these vehicles can look like toys, especially after going over a mine.

BUT, it does look quite cool and is enjoyable to flip a vehicle from a hit from your rocket launcher. It's a case or realism VS enjoyment.

so in summary, i decided that when vehicles are killed by explosions then to have them launched a bit is enjoyable, but it looks stupid when you kill them with machineguns / grenades / deconstruct / water.

Also, I think most people agree that the phys push from going over a mine should be halved?

---------------------------------

the "death model" idea is cool idea but that's something I've heard is already in the works.

and tanks weigh more than 4 tonnes generally the M1 Abrams tank that the US use a lot weighs 61.4 tonnes.

11. KILLX

KILLX Banned

but the ammunition would explode. if you were to take a tank and destroy its front armor, their would only be the hull. after the hull is gone, their would be a hole. the armor/hull system is about the exterior plates that protect the hull, and the hull which is the last defense for the crew. when a hull is breached, the munitions can, and normally do, explode if hit.

12. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

I like the bounce, If you charge a enemy vehicle and are going fast enough you can drive under it when it bounces :D

13. TheAllmightyMighty

TheAllmightyMighty Member

@killx : well i think "IF" you hit the ammunition i don´t think that there will be such a huge chain reaction and it would be really really unrealistic that the tank pops up since the energy of the explosion wouldn´t be directed all to the bottom of the tank...

14. Aranjedeath

Aranjedeath Member

I personally like the little bounce, its cute and cool, but I'm not quite sure thats what we are going for(cute). I think its appropriate that it get pushed or moved, maybe a little bit vertical, but even when you would set up a mine under a tank, it doesn't go up much at all. I think we should keep it, maybe tone the physics force back alittle, but I do like it.

<p.s.>I cite the videos of stuff being IED'd in Iraq. The stuff explodes something fierce, but doesn't really tend to move up much.</p.s.>

15. pixelized

pixelized Member

I disagree, I love watching tanks fly from mines. If anything it should be more.

16. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I like it the way it is. My only peeve is flipping commanders with mines. Come on.. the thing is twice as heavy as... well a heavy. It should maby rock.. but not flip.

17. Caelo

Caelo Member

it should just break like the titanic..

18. KILLX

KILLX Banned

what do mean break? do you mean get destroyed like a real tank would if it was destroyed? if so, the only way to possibly do that without killing servers would be to have the destroyed tank replaced with an exact replica of it that is just a bunch of objects on the moment of destruction, and have it explode, sending the parts flying. even then, they would have to be solely visual and disappear seconds later, and be client side, and be a feature you can turn on and off.

I, personally, would really like this. it would be nice to see a tank torn apart upon its destruction, but in a way were you get the satisfaction of it without inducing insane lag.

19. Caelo

Caelo Member

20. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Yes in general I agree that tank explosions need to be reworked however, they are things to be done AFTER the bugs and adjustments are worked out. IF you want to see them fixed now, do it yourself(or get a friend to do it) and submit it. As they are now they do not cause problems so should not be on the "need to do" list yet.