Defusal nerf: gives 1/8th chance of detonation

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by OuNin, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

So the way to cross a minefield is to stop and start a lot.

Oh boy that sounds like fun.

2. OuNin

OuNin Member

That depends. Can you clear it fast as hell or can you take your time then accelerate when you have to? It gives mines tactical value and gives players a choice.

3. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

more like makes the game fucking boring

4. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Mm, death by mines or death by boredom, good choice.

5. OuNin

OuNin Member

I take it you prefer NF?

6. Jeph

Jeph Member

I gotta to agree with chris on this. Maybe the aiming isnt consistent, but when you hit a player (hitbox collision) there is damage. This is a constant. Also all the skills are constant. When you choose Health Upgrade, you get 30 hp, not sometime 10 hp or 15 hp. When you step on a mine , it explodes. With defusal it doesn't and you are 100% sure that it wont explode.

If the defusal get changed , for example, based on speed. Beneath a certain speed , the mine explode. Else it doesnt. That is constant and absolute. It explode or it don't and you can control it

A game can become really frustating when you can't have control over your resources.

I dont mind a skill change though. Just not yours. People have proposed good alternatives.

7. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

People went apeshit when accuracy was nerfed so that shooting did not result in a hit 90% of the time.

8. OuNin

OuNin Member

That doesn't mean it was balanced or fair, as much as people liked it. That's an issue of temperament. People got used to it and the game is more balanced. The general use of mines is to slow the progress of an enemy movement. Using the boost to get through may seem fun but it's counterintuitive to strengthening mines and defense.

9. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Erm, if people like unbalanced and unfair then give them it, the point isn't to make a balanced or fair game, the point is to make a game people enjoy. Which means giving them what they enjoy, and not saying 'nurr u cant have that its not balanced nurr'.

If people want accuracy at any cost, give them accuracy, and find other ways to solve the problems that causes, rebuild the entire game if you have to but don't take the things out that people find so fundamental.

It's a common problem that people get bogged down with the means and forget the goal, balance is a means to the goal of making the game fun, buf if you can find fun in unbalance that doesn't means it's wrong, it just means you found another means to make the game fun.

Also having accurate weapons was balanced and fair, the problem was it didn't play out too well in terms of destructiveness, a minor damage nerf turned out to be the best solution, not an accuracy nerf, accuracy is random chance, damage is consistent.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  10. OuNin

OuNin Member

@"rebuild the entire game if you have to but don't take the things out that people find so fundamental.":
    Just like 9-mining? Since, you now, it wasn't a random element, but one that players controlled. Balance helps to make the game fun and fair for both sides. If you want armor to remain powerful with defenders and infantry crippled, by all means keep things as they are. 9-mining left with many a 'good riddance,' but now you're all begging for control.

11. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Actually nine mining wasn't controllable.

Nine mining was something done by one player to one other player which impacted everyone else in the game, regardless of their actions.

Nine mining was the complete absence of control.

12. OuNin

OuNin Member

Nine-mining of the CV, probably, but I was referring to the general property of the 9th mine and how people used it when heavies were clustered around their bases.

13. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Nine mining was removed because it caused ninjaing, I don't know many people who objected to its use as a defence measure.

14. OuNin

OuNin Member

Or they could've buffed the CV instead of eliminating a useful ability since the CV would prove later to still be incredibly vulnerable.

15. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

I think 9mining was removed because it was used extensively for griefing/exploiting. [CHOPPER]Dutch and [CHOPPER]Harry used it far too successfully. Even if 9mining was fun and useful, it just caused too much griefing/exploiting to be kept in.

16. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

They did buff the CV, it's practically invincible now. But no amount of invincibility would help with flipping and blowing it into lakes and things.

That too.

17. OuNin

OuNin Member

Or change the dynamics of the push from the explosion?

18. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I think the idea was that mines should still be able to flip normal tanks, and anyway it would be a bit hard to do without changing the laws of ingame physics.

19. OuNin

OuNin Member

Why would you want to uselessly flip them when you can kill them? Why not make the CV heavier? We might as well make mines thrust people into the air and just strip one side of armor. There, it still slows players downs without killing them I guess.

20. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I don't know, I'm not a developer, I'd make it impossible to flip tanks with mines but I assume the devs don't want that.

Making the CV heavier would bugger up the engine.