'Decline comm' checkbox.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Aquillion, Feb 2, 2008.

1. petemyster

petemyster Member

ahh but that's where the [KM] server is so great! It plently of time to interview the commander nad think out a stratgey plan. Games have got alot better on that server cause its all so co-ordinated.

2. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

quoted for truth.

This, and players blaming their commander that it was the commanders fault that they lost.

3. Mutant Freak

Mutant Freak Member

I agree with you reef. I think although this thread contains a GREAT idea, is trying to solve the wrong problem. And I think the solution to the REAL underlying problem (making commanding more fun) lies here: http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=5021 w/ Aquillion.

4. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

having read this whole thread, I don't think there has been any response to my objection:

that really isn't a better situation.

I think that in about half, yeah, about half or one third of all games that I play on 30 - 40 player servers, there isn't someone who WANTS to be commander. but in these situations, after seeing that their team is going to be no decent commander, one player decides that he needs to be commander.

In other words, in every start game phase, the decent players have to assess the situation, decide if they're gunna comm or not.

If we give players the ability to decide "i'm not commanding, end of.", then this isn't going to happen. instead, players that otherwise would have looked at their team and then decided that they need to comm will just decide that they don't feel like commanding, and instead just pick the "not commanding option" and when the map starts realise that actually they have a TERRIBLE commander, and they wish they'd just commanded in the first place.

so in my mind, here are the two evils you have to chose between:

-you have the hassel of typing "i do NOT want to command"
    -you have games which are totally ruined when a new played ends up commanding and your team has a noobie commander for the first 5 minutes, not just condemning the team to likely another 25 minutes of suffering before they lose, or whatever.

---------------

what is there to refute this?

5. Vader6

Vader6 Member

I think the simplest solution is this: If you don't want to command and they vote you in: Be a bad commander!

It's so simple it's crazy, I got voted in a while back as commander, and I'll admit I'm far from being even a decent commander, to put it bluntly, I'm a bad commander to BEGIN WITH. But after I lost the first game, I guess they gave me an A for effort or something because... they voted me back in for round two!

I did even worse the second time, I had clan people who would never say my name without following it up with some profanity. I KNOW I am a bad commander, I have something along the lines of 10 losses and 0 wins under my belt as one. But I still get voted back in every once and a while. I'll remind them of my abilities (or some guy who knows of my awesome skills will start shouting on his mic when I lead the vote.) But I'll never turn down the commander.

Maybe that's all we need to do to solve this issue? Let people have a general idea on how good someone is somehow, I simply think the best way of doing that would require something that the Empires Team simply cannot implement, which is a method of tracking your wins/losses as a commander. You must admit it, there's a lot of commanders like me. There's maybe 20 commanders who can lead even the most How to get Ammoz team to victory, but that's an optimistic estimate.

While I'm doing this post I would also like to state that one of the things that makes being a commander difficult and undesirable is the fact that there's no real ability to practice for it. The manual might tell you how to do it, but there's nothing to really give you the ability to quickly gain the abilities that makes somebody good at commanding in Empires. Maybe those clan people are right and only the guys with 5 or more non-alphabetic Characters in front of their names should be running the show? Or maybe my lack of skill at the van is speaking here and I don't know what's going on. But that's my opinion .

6. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I feel for you vader, you're a valient soldier.

I think that often the people that make the most noise arn't representative of the entire team. hell, as a reasonably decent commander I still get a lot of grief by noisy players from time to time. so you may not be as bad as you think.

perhaps the [Comm *] thing wasn't such a bad idea after all.

7. arklansman

arklansman Member

Go play with God_paom then. :P

8. Goose

Goose Member

9. AcePremium

AcePremium Member

Good idea hate being voted comm have no idea how to play it.

10. Wilson

Wilson Member

What about making it the opposit way? You can check a box to ELECT yourself to commander. This would make your name appear in green meaning "I know how to command, vote me". It would still be possible to vote for anyone you wanted, but it would give you a hint persons who know how to command (or think they does).

Main reason i dont want to be voted commander most of the time is that i dont think im not good enough and my main target is, as always, to win the game. Also, It's never fun to be the reason your team lost:(

11. Tal_Shiar

Tal_Shiar Member

Brilliant!

12. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

Yes! Yes!

13. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

This is the best option IMO.

As I see it, you got four choices for comm
    1. Vote good comm who wants to comm
    2. Vote bad comm who wants to comm
    3. Vote bad comm who doesn't want/know how to comm
    4. Vote plasma/comp/etc comm (aka good but doesn't want to)

If nobody steps up for choice 1, then your stuck with 2, 3, or 4. At least with a "I know how to command, vote me" option (default = disabled) you can restrict eliminate choices 3 and 4. I'd go with the enthusiastic newbie any day of the week :)

14. Empty

Empty Member

Enthusiastic newbies always lead us to victory!

15. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

They lead us to victory a lot more often than the comms who hit 'E' as soon as they spawn and leave the CV empty because they didn't want to be in there in the first place.

16. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

To noobies!

without whom, no failure would ever have been epic.

17. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

ooooh, new siggy.