[debate] What would the implications be of the following concerning gren

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by blizzerd, Jun 16, 2016.

1. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

- Grenadiers can no longer rearm rockets or mortar shells at ammo boxes, armory still works
    - Grenadier has to pick either mortar or rocket launcher (yes i realize lore wise they are the same weapon)
    - Grenadier starts with either 4 artillery shells or 2 rockets, and this is the max able to be carried
    - splash damage on the mortar is doubled in range and damage
    - Grenadier gets an smg in favor of losing either the mortar or the rpg
    - Rockets become dumb fire, move 50% faster
    - the following roster is the average hits a gren rpg does to a tank to kill it if they have max armour
    * apc - 2 rpg's to the same side
    * light tank - 1 rpg to the same side
    * med tank/arty - 2 rpgs to the same side
    * heavy tank - 3 rpgs to the same side

For mortar in percentage damage per hit, maxsplash/directhit
    * turrent - 50%/60% (so 2 hits for direct hit, 3 or more for splash depending on where you hit)
    * Barracks - 20%/25%

other shit up for balance

Basically a more powerful weapon set, but far less flexibility and ammunition. Their supply lines would depend on availability of armories and once they run out they turn into a normal smg soldier until they find the time or effort to reload.

I feel this would make infantry against tanks more potent and relevant late game, but also make it so it balances the gren out against the other classes in usability without pulling out its teeth. Gren is very very useful and powerful since it can bring down tanks cheaply and is a good anti infantry character, but the fact that he can reload his ammo in the field means that it is just too flexible and powerful versus other classes. plus the choices with gren in loadout is minimal... I would prefer seeing grens having to choose a loadout and thus specify if they want to be anti infantry/buildings or anti tanks

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

everyone would know you dont play gren much or you wouldnt suggest such things ...

the fact that you can restock on ammo makes it not completely and utterly useless.
    or what is a gren with 2 rockets supposed to do, hug armories?
    oh i forgot about the 4 mortars ...

... lol

btw getting ammoz anywhere else means you just reselect class because its a million times faster.

theres is a certain flavor in armor independent, chassis based damage though, its gonna make grens easier to balance against the various vehicle types.
    but 1 rpg for a LT ...

... serifuckingously?

now, having said all that, gren isnt all that bad currently, idk if it needs change for changes sake.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  3. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

This isn't actually hard to add, empires supports chassis specific armor types, meaning you can add in certain resists to just certain chassis. The only problem is kinda the way it's set up in scripts, there will be 6 times the number of script items so who ever is doing scripts will have to look and make sure all of them are up to date. Change one thing and you really have to change 6 for something like hp change. It would be the easiest way to passively buff grens against later stage chassis though.

1 rpg is pretty derp against lights. It's not hard to hit them with mortar, what makes you think dumb fire rpg will be any worse. Even worse these are all to one side of a tank, this still means heavies are hard to kill so a gren still can't do much of anything against a heavy.

Another problem is what flasche said, it isn't hard to simply change class, which means someone can just sit in a rax or armory and now spam twice as powerful rpgs or mortars at anything, you thought grens on top of be's cyclopean hill was annoying but you haven't seen anything yet.

I'd much rather just giving gren a second rpg that's stronger but dumb fire, possibly replacing the mortar instead of the rpg so it helps focus the class into just killing tanks.

4. flasche

but why in the world would you want to take the mortar from the gren? if its a choice between rpgs it should be a choice between rpgs and not affect the mortar.

5. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

You under estimate how strong of an rpg I want. I want it to be a serious consideration, not something along the lines of,"any downside of this overshadowed by how useful it is". I mean mortar can do everything, I think it makes sense to sacrifice versatility for specializing. I know I would take it quite often, especially at the heavy stage.

But yeah if it was a minor +30 damage or something it should replace rpg.

6. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

I play almost always either gren or engineer, but thanks for the personal attack... Maybe you dont want me to take away your personal toy super class.

Kill 1 apc, 1 med or 2 light tanks btw, since in the scope of this suggestion thats what it would be capable of

Yes, as intended

Needs to be a hit, and dumb fire against lts is not easy unless the lt is standing still...
    Thats the issue imo, ts the best class, i want it to be a bit more skill based and specialized.

7. flasche

at least the anti-armor side of gren better stays as low-threshold as possibile for reasons.

and no, its not the best class. riflemen eat grens for breakfast, especially because they can encounter them outside their effective range (well they could shoot rpgs at you), we are far from the peashooters of 2.24. and engineers are engineers, they get stronger the more people are around them. ofc all situational and map dependent.

if you die to grens more than you kill as rifle you are not mobile enough. dont hug walls, they are surfaces to explode a mortar on.

pistols could use a bit more falloff tho, its still a ranged weapon and nothing just for real close, but then, all other weapons are better - its minor and maybe its not so bad, from time to time i run out of ammoz and having no means to fight back would be shite aswell. also offtopic.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  8. Ranger

Ranger Member

if you want the mortar grenadier to become a combat pioneer then it should have more support from the commander. I wrote this today in the new skill suggestions thread. If there was a new "building" called fox hole or something with plenty of ammo where the gren could camp and fire his mortar all the time, that would do. but that of course would remove our brave fighting grens, cause he would actually become artillery and would need more infantry support. still idc, I would like that. If you want an anti infantry explosive weapon get a grenade launcher. Grenadier-Grenade Launcher. =OOOO. Ye. One like m79. It could have same damage, rot etc with the current mortar but you could easily carry many grenades and so blizzerd wouldn't try to take the ammo for us. the only differences would be the model and the fact that you wouldn't need to aim at different angle.

Nabs wouldn't freak out as much if the'd be killed by a grenade launcher cause tf2 etc and a nab doesnt think he can be killed by a mortar.

If the gren gets to pick only one gren weapon then he shouldnt have less than 4 rockets +1 in the tube.

9. Tama

Tama Developer Staff Member Web Developer

Something like this is definitely worth a beta test, imo. I don't quite understand how strong mortar would be vs your dumbfire RPG, could you add the same roster for mortar after we double the damage? I assume it will be weaker, since you get 4 of them and of course with double the splash they'll be even easier to use against infantry - which I like.

10. Ranger

Ranger Member

I mean, why can't we use the mortar as an actual mortar instead of making an ultra op grenade launcher. Just replace it with a grenade launcher and you won't even need to crouch to fire!

11. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i would actually get behind this.

also lol 'from us' feeling mightily pointed out now are we

12. complete_

complete_ lamer

grenadier already works well. people enjoy playing it. removing the thing that people enjoy using makes the class boring and not fun to play

also instant kill weapons for infantry regardless of how much ammo they have is a bad idea

13. Ranger

Ranger Member

Lamer I said that the mortar could be replaced by a grenade launcher that worked exactly the same way or even better. Nothing would get removed. An actual mortar would be added to the game and the current mortar would be a grenade launcher. Grenadier would be the same thing except one more weapon choice.

14. complete_

complete_ lamer

my post was in reply to the first post
    grenade launchers suck. they have no range and just annoy people like grenades do (what is the difference between someone throwing a grenade and it being launched anyways?

15. flasche

especially in empires where you can run throw nades across half the map already ...

... also its absurd to give a gren 4 missiles when tanks can just drive by any ammo source to pick up that many (even if its behind a wall).
    what is the intention? turing gren into an unplayable class even tho there are points in the game when 95% of players on a team should play it?

16. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Here's my two cents : No.

We are not going to rework something that's being used frequently & a lot of people enjoy.

Your suggestion is appreciated but I would prefer if you can make suggestions about new things or broken things.

17. complete_

complete_ lamer

i dont know why theres a topic about reworking the gren when its the only class that is practically perfect

18. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Except it sucks dicks at the only thing they should be best at.

19. Ranger

Ranger Member

I don't care that about the gren, but what I said is to replace the mortar model with a grenade launcher and have the same stats, range, damage, everything so the gren mortar skill doesn't die, and you complain about grenades while I'm saying it would do exactly the same thing. It would fire a grenade that would explode on impact, just like the mortar shell. Waow. If you think that a grenade launcher like that sucks, then you're saying that the current mortar sucks. I don't know if you understood that so I'm wrote it again.

20. complete_

complete_ lamer

that doesnt require a rework though. just a buff