Damage modifer subtracts set amount of damage

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Lazybum, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Code:
    "Damage Modifier"		"1"         // was 0.3 is now 1
    I'm talking about that specifically. I honestly don't know when that modifier comes up in the final damage formula but from my perspective there really isn't any reason to use it when you can increase the hp. Instead of reducing damage by some percentage make it reduce it by a set amount. This would make reactive actually match up to its description and give more room for scripters to work around in.

To give some ideas of what this can actually accomplish, it could make things like splash damage not do anything to the tank. It would make things like du not do much but not really affect high damaging cannons or mines.

A kinda bad thing is it messing with bio damage, it would probably negate it. DON'T WORRY THOUGH. You can increase the damage done by bio specifically for that armor by changing the bio resist, so the end result to the common player is that bio is unaffected by it. Neat huh?

2. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Are you suggesting that damage modifier modifies incoming damage x such that it equals x - (1-[damage modifier])*[HP/plate] instead of x*[damage modifier]?

That's pretty slick, but holy Jesus, I don't know how in the hell we'd be able to succinctly communicate that effect to really anyone, both new players and existing players.

3. Empty

Empty Member

Static damage reduction armor is better against low damage weapons and weaker against high damage weapons. It's also better against weapons with high rate of fire.

So you can mention those things.

4. Lazybum

Now I know I ain't all educated like you are, but that seems horribly over complicated. I was totally thinking it'd work as a simple subtraction from the the damage, x-[damage reduction], making sure it doesn't if goes below 0 it doesn't do anything. Which it already does I think. It would be easier to balance I feel if you did it like that.

I guess there is merit in what you want to do, as armor get damaged it takes less damage from any source, so having 1 plate could make you immune to ap rounds and so on, but it'll feel strange. I admit that's a neat idea, but it just feels like it will seem inconsistent and people won't want to bother with it.

But yeah, what empty said. This really shouldn't be so terribly complicated to explain.

5. ImSpartacus

So that would require that the parameter be set to "0" the effect to not take place?

6. Lazybum

Erhm, you mean for any armor you didn't want the effect to work for? Yes, what's wrong with that?

7. Lazybum

Bumping this for consideration. I'd rather have a useful value to work with then a pointless one.

I wouldn't mind if it you made it like spartacus said or keep it simple, it just needs to be changed to be useful.

8. ImSpartacus

Lol, nothing. It's just semantics. I was just trying to make sure that I understood what you were talking about. This is a relatively difficult feature to communicate to people, myself included, lol.

One wrinkle is that this is inherently additive, so now we have to worry about order of operations. Certainly not a deal breaker, but it complicates things.

Candles would be the fella doing that he's been running low on gas lately. :/

9. Empty

Empty Member

I support this idea since it gives another type of armor that has an understandable impact. This makes more sense to me (if documented in a tooltip) than speed to damage. With armor like this I understand that low damage high rof weapons will suck vs it, but spike damage will kick it's ass.

10. Lazybum

Bumpage, come on, it's super simple so it's easy to understand and has an actual use for armor. MORE USEFUL THINGS, LESS USELESS THINGS. Everyone wins, especially commanders who have something of a choice to make, wow.