Custom Map PUG on October 11, 2000 BST / 2100 CEST / 1500 EDT / 1200 PDT

Discussion in 'General' started by Lazybum, Oct 1, 2014.

?

What map should we play, please choose 3

1. emp_king_r5

53.8%
  2. emp_tropicvendetta_rc4

23.1%
  3. emp_fuel_a3_2013

23.1%
  4. emp_raiders_b1

15.4%
  5. emp_manticore_b5_2013

11.5%
  6. emp_insurrection_rc4

57.7%
  7. emp_commandergrad_b1

19.2%
  8. emp_dune_ob1

26.9%
  9. emp_snowstorm_rc6

30.8%
  10. emp_mesa_b4

11.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

We are having another PUG on October 11. Join us and be sure to invite your friends. Old players and new players are welcome to join us.

Click here for your local time.

About this event.

This is an opportunity to play custom maps at a larger population. Most pub games never have a chance to do this, so here it is. For that reason we won't be password protecting the server and bothering with organizing teams. I want old and new players to enjoy these wonderful maps.

Looking for commanders.
    Looking for commanders to volunteer to command. Instead of pairing people off, I am going to just keep a list of the volunteers on hand. At the start of a new map I will pick 2 players to command that match. The idea here is that instead of scrambling to find someone to command a particular match, we can just pull people from the list. This also alleviates the problem of commanders not being able to show up on time.

Like last time, I'll make it so you don't have to command maps back to back, not unless you really want to command that map. I'll take whoever commanded the last map off the list and select from the remaining people. It'll be a first come first serve basis on which faction they want to command.

About maps

Well this is the main attraction for this event. We will only be doing custom commander maps for the pug. Just select 3 of the maps on the poll, in a week on the 8th I'll pretty much close the poll and assemble a list of maps we will play. Top 4 choices will be the main maps.

So I'm gonna close the poll, metaphorically speaking. So map list will be:

Insurrection: I think it would work well as a seed map, it plays pretty good at most player counts.
    King: Player count will not get bigger after the second map, so this is really the only chance to play it.
    Snowstorm:
    Tropicvendetta: This won out against dune and fuel after I took out empty's votes which he wanted.

Fuel: I'll set it as the fifth map, seems like quite a few people have a good thing to say of it and by this time I don't think there will be too many players, so stress on the download server won't be so bad. Click for download link.

Oh and we will be playing Glycenpass as the warm up game. Angry and doc rabbit want to play test it to see what can be done, so we get to have a custom map as the warm up as well.
    Click to download glycenpass
    Download link for fuel

For those curious, this is the custom maps you can choose from:
    Plunge, Provinggrounds, moors, traders, raiders, ballast, railroad, research, territory, frozensummit, mesa, manticore, insurrection, commandergrad, fuel, rage, frost, blah, snowstorm, dune, tropicvendetta, bridges, king

Click here for a map pack containing all maps we will be playing.

About Server

It will be on Viper's pug server. It won't be password protected though, so don't worry about what is says right now.

Commander volunteers

Lazybum
    ImSpartacus
    Herbie
    BigTeef

Looking for at least 6 people to volunteer, though more than that are welcome to volunteer.

Pm me if you have a question, or leave a comment on that group announcement.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  2. Lazybum

Quick double post to clarify a couple of things.

I decided on the maps on the poll because they have a good quality to the map and quite a few are much better played at higher pops, and this will be pretty much the only opportunity for them. So if I didn't include something you feel I should have, sorry, maybe next time.

Should also point out these maps are what vipers currently has to offer. Some maps, like homeland or silo, don't make it because of the maps themselves have some problem of some sort. Not because I don't want them played or something.

I'm bringing back that commander thing because I remember it kinda working, or at least helping a bit. Again, remember that the more you put into the game the more fun and rewarding it will be.

3. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I can be best comdar!

[Sub][Sub]...also fixed yo title[/Sub][/Sub]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  4. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

It says 22nd March on the event, fyi.

5. Lazybum

Crap, I keep doing that. I thought I changed that part.:(

Fixed that pug group announcement too. I really hope people don't write it off for such a stupid mistake.

6. Urknall

Urknall Member

Sounds great! I will join the matches :D Maybe you can post it on steamgroups, too?

7. Herbie

Herbie Junior Member

Sounds good, I remember when my dystopia clan leader used to do events like this, it was always a lot of fun. Count me in. I also volunteer to command one of the games.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  8. Empty

Empty Member

god dammit i ruined the poll because I can't read, and I also can't undo it.
    Disgregard my votes.

9. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

I would love to play king with a full server.
    Problem is, last time I played it.
    It took 10 minutes to download it via the steam thing, and seeing as it is never played I doubt many people have it.

I would suggest posting links the the maps so we can download ahead of time.

10. ImSpartacus

I don't really get the whole "limit votes" thing.

Oh and you can totally fix that shit by changing the vote counts.

11. Lazybum

Yeah, I'm a tad worried about that. I did put cyberkiller's map pack on the op though, it has king plus all the other maps we could be playing. Honestly I'm hoping that this pug encourages people to download that map pack so when the server goes to some custom map they don't quit out because they don't want to wait.

Part of it too is that a bunch of the original maps are kinda borked in some way, King was among them, cyberkiller fixed a bunch of them but put everything in one pack. So the latest updated version of everything is in that map pack anyway. I do suppose I could find the old threads and put the links to them so people can download at least the textures and stuff, but I worry a bit when people go the server and see it downloading and cancel anyway or something dumb. Or it'll show "your map differs" error, which would be bad.

I'm probably going to ask to have the comm vote time extended to 300 seconds, or 5 minutes. It'll give enough time for people to download it who didn't want to bother with the map pack plus allow people to come up with more intricate plans. If you and someone else feels it should be... say 7 minutes or something I'm all ears, but we can't extend it too long or else people will get bored and leave.

Oh and spartacus, the reason for vote for three is that it makes it more definite of what people want, if people voted for everything it is like voting for nothing and makes it harder for me to tell which maps would be most popular.

12. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

btw emp_fuel_a3_2013 isn't in the mappack any more or in the server's map cycle,
    I had to pull it due to REALLY bad FPS (like 3 times worse than emp_insurrection_rc3, of course the fps seemed fine to me with a geforce 460.... but I checked the rendering times and they were appalling).

Not to mention emp_fuel_a3_2013 is a 90MB bsp....

13. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Where's emp_mvalley? That's custom I think.

14. Urknall

Urknall Member

15. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

you are welcome http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=18454

as cyber said, fuel isnt in there ... but its not on servers either so no issue for the moment.

alt-tab, delete the bsp in your empires folder, alt-tab back and type retry in console. takes less then a minute if you have your empires folder in favorites

16. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

17. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

emp_king is a gigantic map that really feels empty with anything than 40+ players. I'm not sure how many people will attend the PUG, but a 10 vs 10 on king is pretty frustrating.

I recommend to set the commander vote time to 10 mins, that was acceptable for people in the last "serious" PUGs I played. It gives everyone time to download the maps and to fly around and get to know them. Or even plan a strategy for the map.

18. ImSpartacus

At this rate, I'll be comming like half of the matches.

Best.

Pug.

Ever.

Get ready for some truly magnificent matches.

19. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

I'm going to be away and in another town, so... I don't think I'll show up.

20. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

I will volunteer if nobody better does.