CPU broken. Need advice.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Fooshi, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

Hello.

Earlier today, I brought my PC over to a friend. He asked me cause his pc didn't start. (His PSU was fried.)

Soo...I was bored while he was fucking around with my PSU in his pc, I decided to wipe that shit for once. I removed the CPU, graphics card and everything.

BUT, when I tried to put the CPU back in, I think I managed to bend some of the pins...
    I took it out and tried to straighten up those who got bent, hopefully getting it working again.

Now, it wont even start. I start the PC, but nothing happens...
    It usually made a quick beep when I started it before, now it wont sound for shit!

It was a AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (AM2 socket)
    I've always wanted to upgrade to a AM3 socket, since AM3 CPUs are backwards compatible IF you do a BIOS update...

But how can I update my bios without a working CPU?

Also, are dual-cores better for gaming than quad-cores?

I'm on a laptop currently, so if you don't understand jackshit of what I wrote....
    Acutally, I don't care if you understood what I wrote or not. :pathetic:

2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Generally, dual core/quad core has little difference unless you're playing really high end games which are capable of multithreading.

3. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

CPUs are ZIF (Zero Insertion force). How in the HELL did you manage to bend the pins? It LITERALLY drops right in.

Anyways.

I'd get a Phenom II x3-720. 2 Cores for the game, 1 for the OS. Chance of unlocking a 4th core (Like mine :3). OC's to 3.2ghz (all 4 cores)with a voltbump of 0.025, as well as keeping under 55c stock cooling.

Keep in mind plenty of games are multithreaded for at least two cores.

4. meg griffin

meg griffin Member

We just got a 32 node cluster of Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5570 @ 2.93GHz with 48GB and a Qlogic 12300 switch. Each node has 4 cpus.

Get one of these. It IS fast (like twice as the AMD opterons 252)

You just need to seriously upgrade the AC at your house lol.

(I wonder what the carbon footprint if for that beast)

5. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Older CPUs have pins. In fact, most pre-775 stuff has. Not sure about AM2, but a lot do have pins at that age.

6. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

My Phenom II x3-720 had pins, too. I remember my dad telling me he'd kill me if I bent any.

ALSO, LEETMUFFIN.

Check your motherboard's manufacturer website for list of supported CPUs. This is my first time hearing of an AM3 CPU into an AM2 platform..though I suppose it's similar to putting a 6core Phenom into a 7x0 chipset.

7. Fooshi

I don't bother with quoting and such, so I'll just answer questions.

@Trickster:
    I don't play high end games currently. The most "high end" game I've played on mine must be BC2.
    Though, I did notice how Call of Pripyat didn't utilize both my cores.

@PreDom:

The cooler was on when I took it out, ya know, those giant metal shits that weights 20x times the amount of the CPU itself.
    I also noticed the second time I took it out, one of the pins were black-ish. I don't know if it was static that killed it, but it seemed "fried".
    Funny enough, I have no idea who made my motherboard. I think it's "WinFast" or something. The bios thingy is labled "Phoenixbios D686"

Running a AM3 CPU on a AM2 motherboard is said to be possible with a bios update, but I can't update it when I can't start the pc.
    Is it possible that it will work without a bios update?

Currently looking at the AMD Athlon II X3 440.
    Looks decent for my needs.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  8. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

has to be am2+

9. Fooshi

Nevermind, fuck it.

*EDIT*

Turns out I somehow managed to install it wrong...
    Ya know that little fucker that "unlocks" the socket, I installed it without even touching it...

I'm so smart.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  10. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

hardware rapist

11. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

Get a new CPU.

Advice has been given.

12. Phantom

Phantom Member

First off, you're jumping to conclusions. While, yes, it is very likely that you damaged your cpu, it is also possible that you didn't plug something in, or damaged a different component instead.

1. Check all internal connections (you should have the following plugged in internally):
    a. 24 pin power
    b. 4 pin CPU power
    c. GPU power (if required by your particular gpu)
    d. Front pannel connectors (power button/indicator lights etc)
    Everything else internally should be unplugged (no sata cables or anything else should be attached at this point)
    2. Check all external connections (unplug all but the following):
    a. Keyboard
    b. Monitor
    c. PSU > Wall
    3. Check to see if your psu switch (if one exists it would be located on the back of your case) is in the on (l) position.

4. Check to see if your motherboard (if it has one, check your manual) light is on.

5. Try starting your system, and see if you get a post or any system beeps. Usually if there are CPU issues, your motherboard will still notify you.

...Did your PSU work fine in your friends system? Are you seeing any fans spin up or lights turn on?...This almost sounds like a power issue. (PM me and i'll help you troubleshoot it sometime...or try getting a new cpu)

----------------------------------------------------------------

What're your system specs? There's no sense in making a recommendation per this scenario without knowing if upgrades will be potentially bottlenecked by pre-existing components. Also, do you have budget limitations?

For a simple replacement, this is probably your best bet http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103242 in terms of bang/buck.

For future reference, AMD processors (yes even socket AM3 based variants) have pins. So be gentle when installing the cpu and don't touch the pins. Take some pictures of the bottom of your cpu and post them on here.

13. Fooshi

hurr durr shit's running smoothly now.

14. Phantom

Phantom Member

**...sigh**

You lose all credibility muffin ;) lol

15. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

He had credibility in the first place? :)

Edit: Also you should try the magic oven trick on your cpu for great lols.

16. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

The oven only reseats the solder joints. It won't fix fried pins.

17. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Some manufacturers are dumbasses that require the CPU be inserted at an angle, due to various things such as the heatsink and mounting of the fan (this has happened to me before, fucking 3 degree angle raped the pins).

18. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Wow thats faggy, especially if you miss one pin the fan/heatsink/both won't work for crap because it has to be flat on the cpu, so it crashes your computer after you've had it one for about 13 seconds (I'm actually serious about that).

19. Phantom

Phantom Member

...none of the X86 CPUs on the market are to be inserted at an angle...

20. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

It's not the CPU itself, it's the way it's all assembled in the case. I used the wrong term; manufacturers. I don't mean the companies making the hardware. I mean the companies like Dell, HP, Gateway, etc that bring the parts together and sell a PC. I dealt with a Pentium 4 based system for a friend once, and due to the way the fan and heatsink were mounted, the CPU HAD to be inserted at around a three degree angle. As I already said, the CPU did not survive the angled re-insertion (I had stripped the system down as best I could to clean out an extreme case of dust and cat hair).