cool themaic change to buff DUMG and make it unique and interesting

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Metruption, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Metruption

Metruption Member

DU is armor penetrating, why not have it deal small damage to multiple layers of armor?

30 damage to first layer, 15 to second layer, then 5 to third or something like that. Have the hull count as two layers, and then it goes out the other side.

2. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I like this idea, but don't make it go through the hull. Then make absorbent immune to armor penetration.

There, two researches that become viable again.

3. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

This actually sounds not bad.

But you should only be able to penetrate one armor plate.
    Here's my idea of the numbers.

Don't change the current damage of DU, make the second plate receive 25% damage. If there's no armor then DU will do 125% damage to the hull.

4. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Does it go through the tank and hit others?

And does it suffer from momentum, meaning when it slows down its harder for it to penetrate.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  5. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

This was suggested a while back, but as far as I know it needed coding support at the time - the plates are basically set up as joined HP blocks, rather than separate entities.

At least that was the impression I got.

6. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Yep, I have the same thought with you, Ikalx.

The code might treats the armor as a whole, instead of individual plates.

Actually I am just suggesting that DU should do 125% damage, that's all.

7. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

In code, armor is represented as a 4-element array, one for each side. Then a side is represented by a float. 1.0 is one plate, 2.0 is 2 plates, 3.0 is 3 plates and so forth. Then like 1.5 is a plate and a half. Code-wise, it'd end up being a flat increase in damage.

'Sides, it wouldn't matter. There's nothing in the entire game directly based off armor health on a per-plate basis. If you have 400 health on a side and I use a weapon that does 100 damage a hit, whether it hits every single plate on that side or just the outermost one, it'll take 4 hits either way.

8. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

It'd be just a very little different when the penetration damage hits the hull when you still have armor.
    But yeah, it's mostly the same, just a plain damage buff for DU.

9. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Candles, isn't health regen of armor based of the health of a plate? Admittedly it is the max health, so it really doesn't need to know the health of the current plate.

Couldn't you divide that plate float by 1 and store it as a int to have a number of plates variable? Then do fun stuff like this suggestion?

10. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Instead of number of plates variable, you could use the current array turn it into an array of arrays, and the 2nd level array indices each represent a plate in float on the 1st array's side of tank. The issue with implementing would be having to probably rewrite the entire code that calculates damage and repairs.

11. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, that was why a simple variable is, well, simple. Well mostly anyway, you couldn't deal with the health of each individual plate, but for most purposes the health of each plate doesn't really matter, because I don't think there would be a lot of weapons dealing with that. It would create a nice buff for regen though.

Unless people really want to change how the basic idea of tank combat works, but I really haven't heard that many complaints about the current system. This would just give a neat way of dealing with how many plates a tank can have. Like making weapons that are more effective against heavy tanks with their 6 plates vs lights and their 2. Or give neat bonuses to certain armors, like reactive's high hp per plate means less plates in total meaning the weapon is less overall effective against reactive.

12. Metruption

Metruption Member

make it a 2d array so that each element indiacates a plate of armor

arr[side][plate]

13. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Yes, and rewrite every single function that involves armor in even the slightest way. Brilliant.

Getting the number of plates is easy. Just either floor it or cast to in and let the compiler truncate.

14. Herbie

Herbie Junior Member

Interesting concept. You could just reduce the damage to the hull relative to the number of plates.with less than 4 plates it will always damage the hull a little but if you have a high number of plates the damage will be insignificant or non existent. I don't think each plate needs to be modelled but I think an armour penetrating bullet is an interesting idea. A weapon that is completely ineffective against a high number of plates, but deadly against few plates while also allowing you to destroy vehicles when their armour isn't completely destroyed.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  15. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

wait let me get this straight, you guys research ranged cannon each and every fucking game and you dont grab du on the way if you have compo anyway? oh man what has empires come to ...

... or why do you want to change du if it isnt underused because its shit in any way?

16. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

It's also weird that ranged is being researched every game.
    Sometimes you need HE instead of Ranged and I found a few comms that just don't understand this.

17. flasche

fads you dont understand them you just follow ^^

18. BigTeef

I blame FN for brain washing kids into thinking HE sucks.

19. flasche

well it equally sucks to end up with HE every map ^^

20. BigTeef

I get HE when the kids cry about my plasma.