Control groups are automatically assigned squad members

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Lazybum, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

As far as I'm concerned there's only 2 real uses for the control groups. One is put your base in a group so you can tell in an instant if something is sabbed, though it isn't too much longer to zoom out a bit and drag a box. The other is to direct groups of people.

Considering it's usually squads, or at least what you hope to be squads, it would make sense if the control groups were automatically assigned squad members to each number. That way when you know people can't hear you, or understand you, they can at least see the nice green target telling them to move somewhere. And because it's everyone in that squad the whole squad (hopefully) goes there and there was much rejoicing.

The small tricky bit is there being more squads then control groups, but most of the time no one goes past the first 5 anyway. Maybe in a full 62 server it'll hit 6-7, big deal.
    Pros
    • Better squad cohesion
    • Easier for the commander to relay orders
    • Makes a feature more useful

Cons
    • I can't think of one

2. Catface

Catface Member

Pretty much. This would be very useful for serious commanders. Atm there is no way to select squads, which is very frustrating.

Ill see if I can add this.

3. Metruption

Metruption Member

Even if you go to squads under units menu as comm you can only select squads by individual members and cannot shiftclick multiple members to select many of them at the same time.

4. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Suggestion: Don't force the control groups to be assigned to a single squad, there are many times where your control group setup should shift from just squads. Perhaps assigning the groups automatically at the end of commander vote time would work. You can also put in a button to "automatically assign control groups" at any time.

5. Catface

Catface Member

I guess this in combination with a reset button. I'll get working on it. For now I'm just binding every number key (in comm view) to a squad.

6. Spike

Spike Long Live The King!

This would be very useful for commanders this should be added

7. Drag0wn

Drag0wn Member

Yeah this is something that needs to exist. The existing control group system is a major pain. Why there was never a squad select console command to bind to something... I'll never understand.

8. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I can't think of a single time as commander where I would want something other then squads in control groups. You might say the occasional times, or rather currently a lot of times, where there will be 1 squad and one or two guys in some area of the map and you want to give directions to people in that area. I would hope with this change squads will play together more often so there will be less stragglers around the map everywhere.

It also isn't hard to drag a box when it comes to giving local orders too, but it's a real pain to give orders to a specific group, like squads, in some area they currently aren't in at all.

My main point is while options are nice and all, complicating something for those very occasional moments isn't worth it. Please remember it isn't just vets that could benefit, it's those new comms that don't have a mic. It's easy to tell them to hit 1 for alpha squad to give orders to them.

9. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

That's why I'm saying that you should simply be able to rebind the control groups. Default-binding squads would be fine for many cases, sure, but if you want to go custom on your control groups you should be able to - like binding multiple squads together, or binding buildings.

10. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

I've only suggested this a thousand times in the past.

Additionally commanders should be able to assign any players to any squad in the squad menu and the squad menu should be added to the commander interface.

I object, my "number keys" (not numpad) are already bound to buildings. please just add those to key bindings.
    And on the subject of key bindings there are still a lot of things we can't do.

Finally, I'm with Lazybum, I can't think of any reason to bind anything else than a squad to a button. Even if it's large game (26vs26) on a small map such as let's say Canyon, you will never give 2 squads the same target. Say you're Brenodi, you're sending Alpha and Bravo SW, I would give Alpha the order to take the hill bottom of SW and Bravo the order to hold the enemies at the chokepoint. And that's just one example, never give 2 squads the same order.
    However more possibilities is always good, so if you can add it, do it.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  11. complete_

complete_ lamer

i have never used the units tab in my life and cannot think of whatever you are talking about

any change is for the better