Constructive Criticism of 2.2

Discussion in 'General' started by recon, Dec 14, 2008.

1. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Rephrased in various posts below. This version no longer makes sense.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  2. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

You have access to tester forum afaik, this shouldn't need to be explained to you first two are problems with orange box port there is no simple way to "put them back". With 2.12 scripts the 2.2 tanks were impossible to drive. There is already threads about each one of these issues your opinion isn't so important you have to make a new thread.

Good riddance.

3. Foxy

Foxy I lied, def a Forum Troll

We standard forum goers have no knowlage of this tester forum.

4. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Okay then Simon, I will rephrase.

The vehicle handling needs to be improved.

The weapons need a little more balancing.

Better?

5. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

The fastest way to fix the vehicle handling issues is to help improve the scripts. There was no choice on changing the vehicle scripts. The OB screwed things up, and they had to be changed.

6. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

No? There's already threads about each there is no point for everyone making their own thread about their 2.2 grievances when they're are already threads about the issues. Drag worked hard on the 2.2 scripts and they are 200x better than what we had at the start. I worked on the scripts a little bit but Drag has worked on them a lot more but I couldn't find a way to deal with the turning either it was a bit sluggish or you start spinning out and I think he has found the same.

7. recon

recon SM Support Dev

So basically we're stuck with the way they handle now? Isn't there any way the devs can modify the vehicle system? Or is that something built into the engine?

IDK if anyone else feels this way, but the mod doesn't have the same fun factor it used to have back in 2.12. Also, it seems like the game play goes much slower.

The major issue with steering that I see, is that when going slow, vehicles turn very sluggishly.

Script Questions

If I raise "degreesSlow", besides making the vehicle turn harder when going slow, will it have any side effects?

What about raising "slowsteeringrate"?

Is it possible, in a future version (say 2.21), to create a script that will allow people to set different steering values for each gear? Would that help to improving handling? Would vehicles take a performance hit? How bad a hit?

8. Empty

Empty Member

The weapons feel terrible and are not pleasant to use.
    I would suggest a buff to damage and a rate of fire upgrade all around. I'd also like the BECAR to actually kill in a burst or no longer utilise burst fire. Even if that means a drop in rate of fire.

9. Omneh

Omneh Member

Its funny, I've been saying the same thing since I first became a tester. Look where that got us.

10. Empty

Empty Member

They don' listen I tells ya.

Fuckin beerdude >:[

11. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

So I'm the only one who enjoys not being killed instantly a rifleman pops up on your screen?

12. Empty

Empty Member

You just need to learn to shoot faster and better.

13. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Learn to use teamwork

BTW I know mortar is overpowered and I might change damage formula for rifles somewhat so their damage range is larger. Anything else? (Regarding to infantry weapons)

14. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

explain to me why my burst weapons choke half the time on only 1 or 2 bullets per burst, but do go into cooldown

why do the burst not fully fire on 1 click?

15. Sonecha

Sonecha Member

It's because we haven't got a switch for semi/burst fire, and it's supposed to be both.

16. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

It's a problem with the code. Razorbud tried to give it the "auto-burst" functionality, but he'd have to rewrite a lot of the automatic firing code to do this. I didn't want to bother him with it (he had bugs to fix and I was already very happy that he wanted to write it for me), so that's why it's in like it is. Is it that much of an issue? Just hold and fire.

17. Drag

Drag Member

The vehicle movement part is, as far as I have been told split into two. Empires own vehicle movement part and valves part (where no one shall venture)

If you increase degreesSlow ABOVE 60 degree it is very likely that most vehicles will start spinning out with 3phase engine.

Raising slowsteeringrate is usually the better way of tweaking it but anything above 4ish is prone to constant spin outs or just plain wonky feeling. (RC cart tank...) Again this differs greatly between the engines. The faster an engine can drive the faster it will turn. Speed and steering are related.

In addition to that note that the "faststeeringrate, degreesfast" doesn't work properly. If it does work it works faulty (only affects turning into ONE direction sometimes...)

I think it would be good to address these problems first and move the steering parameter to the ENGINE scripts. (remember: speed linked to engine, speed and horsepower is set per engine)

Feel free to play around with the script values recon, after months I have lost motivation and hope but I'm sure they can still be improved (I was satifsfied with steering that doesn't spin out any tank for any engine)

I don't know if different steering values for EACH GEAR is possible or would have a beneficial effect at all. Currently the OB side of the code supports the seperation between fast-speed(high gear) and low-speed(low gear) but as I laid down they seem to be bugged in empires.

What also massively affects vehicle steering behaviour are the
    axleratio values
    the gear values (as they govern acceleration thus steering/behaviour)
    and the WHEEL SIZES

The BE arty tank for example is extremely prone to spin outs because it has tiny wheels apparantly. So its ALSO a model problem somewhat.

Add to that the fact NF medium and NF heavy have a model-governed mass center that is NOT at the center of the tank. (-40 units and -110 along the forward axis of the tank model) As far as my tests have shown this results in the incredibly barn-like behaviour of these tanks. If you change those ALL HELL breaks loose, both these tanks start oversteering or sliding around the place.

18. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

if its a big problem to fix, no but it feels rather awkward and makes the weapon unreliable, but i thought it was something that seemed like a bug, my apologies please forgive me for my insolence behavior

19. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

Have you guys tried asking Valve for advice? I hear they are pretty cool about helping modders with problems.

20. Drag

Drag Member

Well I guess it would be prudent to check the empires-side of the code first before going to valve.

Edit:
    "turnThrottleReduceSlow" "0.5"
    "turnThrottleReduceFast" "0.5"

I reduced those again for the NF medium, makes turning a bit faster. I'm doing a commit for next patch