[Considering] Squad leader scoring contributes to squad points

Discussion in 'Under Consideration' started by OuNin, Jul 10, 2009.

1. OuNin

OuNin Member

I find that the current system, where only points earned by squad members become squad points, is a mechanic in the game that doesn't read at all. In telling people to rearrange squads to maximize point earning, it becomes apparent that they, some experienced Empires players, were not aware of this.

(Pretty much, let's say we have a 3-man squad: DELTA 1, D2, and D3. Let's say D1 and D2 each get a kill. Delta Squad only gets one point, one for the kill D2 achieved, not one the squad leader did.)

In order to make squads make sense immediately to everybody, I suggest that the squad leader scoring points in range of squad members such that the passive aura is activated should contribute to the squad's total amount of points.

2. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Didn't know that. Although i'm usually more involved in playing if i'm actually doing anything that gets me a point.

Sounds good.

3. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I knew about this.. It's kind of like playing the point guard position in basket ball.. You wanna set up shots for other people.. You know get assists and make it easier for your team to get points.. I kind of like it that way..

As a squad leader I usually like to spot targets and soften them up for my squad mates.

4. OuNin

OuNin Member

I do like it too, it leaves me less work, but it isn't too well known.

5. thetim

thetim Member

I didn't know this. The suggestion makes sense.

6. o_O

o_O Member

Good idea. Its completely pointless for the squad leader to not get squad points for doing stuff. Remember, it would only take effect if another squad member was around anyway.

7. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Just make sure it only takes effect if another squad member is around. Otherwise, you'll get everyone eager to become a solo gren squad leader and completely ignoring their squad so they can use squad arty.

...also, I still think it would be best to completely revamp squad powers into an Enemy Territory style command meter that regenerates constantly as long as there are squad mates in range (and faster with more), but not dependent on points. There isn't any real purpose to having squad powers dependent on points -- the game doesn't need a "win more" power like that. And making it into a meter that fills up encourages squad leaders to use powers when it's filled, which will result in them getting used frequently, without getting saved up into the silly endgame squad-power spam we occasionally see (especially with revive and arty.)

8. OuNin

OuNin Member

Yeah, but I like being able to micromanage my squad points!

9. OuNin

OuNin Member

necro for awareness.

10. soundspawn

soundspawn Member

Thanks for the bump. I agree that it needs fixed.

11. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

man this would make point farming so much more lucrative :D

12. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

this is a really good point. while both ways are valid (current and the above) this one does avoid the endgame point whoring.

as much fun as it is to spend 25 points on arty to trash a base, it's kind of a lame mechanic.

13. Empty

Empty Member

Just make it into a bar that charges as your squad does stuff, and different skills use a different percentage of the bar.

No mor esaving up 900000 arty strikes, and you can make much more powerful squad skills or cheaper ones, since they can't be spammed.

14. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

make squadpoints go up far quicker, but put a cap on it of 25 or so squadpoints, if you dont use them regulary your points fill up to "overflow" and you lose any new ones gained unless you spend some

15. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Since Empires is about teamwork, have squad points be gained through assist kills inside the squad.
    Example:

Foxtrot squad:
    \TG/Grantrithor[R]
    RedCarGuy[R]
    Councilofmagic[G]
    Venom!412[R]
    Open

Grantrithor attacks an enemy engy, and Venom!412 finishes him off, then let it recognize Grantrithor's very valiant and brave task of an assist(JUST LIKE TF2).

Another example is Councilofmagic is fighting a tank on foot, Open sticky stuns the tank, then Councilofmagic kills the tank. This should also be recognized.

But something like RedCarGuy kills a scout that did not hit any other squad mates or no other squad mates attacked, no points will be gained.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  16. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

The original post is wrong, AFAIK

The squad leader gets 1 squad point for every 5 squad points normally generated.

It's an system.

It means that the squad only gets points when the squad members work with the squad leader. assuming that the squad leader gets points about as fast

If the squad leader can get points just for being near a squad member then it's too easy. The squad leader is going to get points anyway, and given that he'll be near a squad member somewhere on the map, just being near one squad member doesn't mean that he's trying to work as a squad, it probably just means that he's somewhere where the fighting is. The squad leader has 4 large radiuses around players on the map and he only needs to be in one of them to, in the proposed suggestion, get squad points for the squad. On the contrary, the squad member needs to be inside the 1 large radius around the squad leader on his map. So he actively needs to be trying to work with his squad leader in order to stay in the aura a lot more than the squad leader does.

The current system is clever. It rewards squads which stick together because it gives squad points to the squad leader once all of his squad have got a point, so it rewards a squad leader who sticks with his squad.

Just giving the squad a point because the squad leader happens to be in a squad member's radius means that he can quickly amass points for the squad without any real incentive to stick with his squad

I agree that the system isn't well understood by the general players, and should be, but it's much cleverer and promotes teamplay better than the proposed system.

tl;dr version:
    current system (afaik):
    squad members get squad points for every 5(?) points they get while in the squad radius.
    squad leaders get a squad point for every 5(?) squad points the members get

proposed:
    squad members and squad leaders get a squad point for every 5 points they get while in a squad radius

subtle difference: with proposd, It's very easy for the squad leader to be in the squad radius somewhere in the map- he can be amassing points very easily while just soloing and happeneing to be near another squad member. With current, squad leader needs to keep squad together in order to be getting squad points, and when he does so it really boosts the number of squad points the squad gets.

is this right or am I off on another tangent?

17. OuNin

OuNin Member

Current system functions kind of well, but it doesn't read in gameplay. A lot of players don't get how it works still.