Community: Entities and Empires props

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by The Buttery Lobster, May 21, 2006.

1. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

I was just wondering if there is an Empires site, or if we should start something here or on the wiki, where one can get/contribute entities, such as flaming, burnt out apcs, or destroyed barracks, or other such flavour props for maps.
    For example, Empires style models like the buildings in crossroads, or some of the base map for district.

If I did a map, I'd like something like that, and I can only find the standard entities on the wiki.

2. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

i really would like to learn how to import; sounds, models, textures. i use 3d studio 6 and well photoshop... as for sounds ehm well i guess i cant create much but for wind sounds and birds cherping theres plenty of that to go around here.. also to learn how they do a blend texture is what im really after, im sure is just vtex tga with more then one layer but i have yet to try..if anybody knows a direct link to any above fourm i would be a smiley for a day :) . btw lobster did you check your pm's ?

3. El Haxor

El Haxor Member

This would be nice. I have a lot of props hanging around that you may wish to use...

4. The Buttery Lobster

I probably don't even know how to use them yet; I'm just saying we need to get some serious resource poolage going on.

That's some nice whiskey, by the way.

5. Grizzly

Grizzly BEAR SIZED DOORS

Sounds like a awsome idea, if annyone can get somthing together then i'm sure there would be a lot of people really apriciating it

6. x3x3non

x3x3non Member

Ok how would be go about organizing this?

7. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

ive always wanted to do props , i dont know how to rig yet but i have a book that tells how, and it doesnt seam to bad , prob is i only have 3ds 6 and i dont know how i can get a app or plugin to get models in hl2 or for that matter what to do even when i can make one ...

8. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

same here hellion

9. Grizzly

Grizzly BEAR SIZED DOORS

well, if somone with anny form of decent knowlage in making a webpage decides to upload a quick somthing with all the props that there currently is (none i supose) with pictures of the prop and a download link for it
    then we could just have everyone pm him with the file for him to put it up

10. Angry

Angry Junior Member

I could host whatever pages/files you guys have.

11. The Buttery Lobster

Hooray for angry!

12. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

i was thinking i could work on something for the game i wanted to do a cannon turret... something i thought would be cool ... damages tanks so they really dont want to come in base but has a lv1 range of more then a rocket but normal cannon shell, lvl2 just a bit longer range nothing big of a deal.. lvl3 basicly a plasma shell , with a lil bit longer range , but not as long as the lvl3 rocket... was wanting to check before i start work on it though.. should i do a poll or something ?

13. The Buttery Lobster

I know don Megel was working on an anti-projectile turret, you could submit something similar to that.

14. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

well its just, if i take time to make it and they dont implement it , i dont know if they want it in or not , i guess i could work up some sketches

15. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

16. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

LMAO omg i got this damn app to work ,,, lols its time to start propin

[​IMG]

17. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

ok basicly im tring to understand how half life texturing/modeling works, i opened up the dark green brush prop [just to gain knowledge don] and basicly its a prop full of random facing planes to be expected / the texture on the planes was that of a pine like bushy thing that had an alpha channel for leaves for the bushyness. thus a 3d like bush , the vmt says
    does that mean that this texture has an alpha channel ? and where in the hell do i learn all the programing stuff :mad:

hmm... and its got a bone system wich has 1 bone and its got an envelope for all verts.. is this nessary ? also theres all these other files for the model that i dont know why it has like a vvd file and a few others for ? dx8 / 9 all these are they created automaticly or do you have to manualy set them :(

Sebybeby help !

Last edited: Jun 1, 2006
  18. Hattemaker

Hattemaker Member

hl2 modeling/compileing walkthrough: http://www.mixerman3d.com/site/.
    I think this shows you how to make props for hl2.
    I used it and have maked some models for gmod ;)

19. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

ahh thanks man ill give it a read

20. HornyRabbit

HornyRabbit Member

I started out 3ds max for the first time little over week ago and here's what ive gotten done:

[​IMG]

There's more screenshots at http://koti.mbnet.fi/hrabbit/Screenies/prop_test/

Those background wall bits were just to learn the basics but they look pretty ok for me atleast, needs some work though.

Tank position might need higher walls and a bumpmaps added but im pleased with it.

Please give feedback as you see fit :)