Commercial Empires sequel

Discussion in 'Archive' started by MOOtant, Sep 22, 2011.

?

How much you'd spend

1. $5-10 in working alpha stage

11 vote(s)
    16.9%
  2. $11-20 in working alpha stage

18 vote(s)
    27.7%
  3. $21-30 in working alpha stage

13 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. $31-40 in working alpha stage

5 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. $5-10 when finished

5 vote(s)
    7.7%
  6. $11-20 when finished

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  7. $21-30 when finished

8 vote(s)
    12.3%
  8. $31-40 when finished

3 vote(s)
    4.6%
  1. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Up to 10$. 12 if the no-scout promise is for real.

Charging more for it may be fine with strong currency countries, but from my pov, charging more than 20$ for a game with current empires features is just retarded.

Also, there should be a empires forum law, saying that the longer the thread goes, the probability of a proscout vs antiscunt argument rises.

And for lord's sake, consider not putting any shiny/blingy/unicorny oldfag/ipayed10moredollars shit into it. Noone likes a douchebag with a camo suit because he pays for an advantage.

I'm fine with unlocking new models and added non-retarded visuals with some level progress or some stuff like that.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

irrelevant, it peaked

why put effort in a product that peaked?

it still sells, and not releasing anything will only make it worse, but putting too much effort into it is working at a loss

minecraft cant be devved forever, so the best strategy is to stretch its development out over a longer period

and geee, guess whats going on now? :p some updated biomes code, "dungeons" made a bit nicer looking and some kind of weird new mob

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  3. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

I think whether you balance the game with or without the scout, you have a very solid game as is.

Keep aircraft out would simplify the game and make it somewhat more action packed. It would also simplify the gameplay significantly.

No real point going into too much detail about my opinions. You've had several years to watch the game develop and grow and examined every facet of it. Making a commercial game out of it might actually make it one of the best researched games ever made :P.

I just think that if empires got any larger, in terms of surface area on the maps, it would make the gameplay stale or ruin it completely. Maybe slightly larger, but not much. It's close enough to force a game to a conclusion in about 30 minutes to an hour, which is about as long as a normal person can devote at a single sitting to a silly game.

4. hekar

hekar Member

What if Valve changes the Source SDK license on the next version (they are some rumors) and lets modders make money (ie. like UDK?)

Then you can add hats! Empires can become the premier military hats simulator! I'll draw you some hats in MS Paint and you can add them as sprites. It'll be pro.

5. tkeracer619

tkeracer619 Member

I would pay a 21-30 for alpha.

6. Empty

Empty Member

1) you're a fuckwit
    2) stop resizing your text without a valid reason

7. FN198

FN198 Member

whatever asshole maybe you should try putting some naive-ass topic feedback in your post to make you seem a little less douchey.

8. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

wait what just happened? Mod calls user fuckwit, user calls mod asshole then gets banned? lol

9. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

FN's title is banned because we never bothered removing him from that usergroup.

10. ViroMan

ohh lol

11. FN198

FN198 Member

im too adorable

12. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

Every time MOOtant mentions writing his own engine, Krenzo owes me 5 bucks.

13. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

How is your minecraft clone going BTW?

14. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Mootant is derailing an important thread. Start coding the engine already :/

15. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

I'm not content to sit around an wait for more Empires, me and Liberal are making it happen. With that said, I'm sure we'd be behind a commercial Empires. Anyone heard of kickstarter?

If coding an engine takes too long, what engine would you use?

16. hekar

hekar Member

Coding an engine takes a pretty long time (2 - 5 years for modern engines.) Most people that make modern game engines are paid a lot of money ($250,000+).

Some examples of these people are Tim Sweeney (Unreal), John Carmack (Id), the guy at Valve, etc. The people that worked on the Call of Duty Modern Warfare engine were supposed to get royalties from Activision, but Activision screwed them over, which was a really dumb idea, so Activision is trying to turn engine making into a process that noob devs can do. Idk if this is possible...

Anyway, making a game is hard enough, making an engine is even harder.
    I guess it's still possible though. Especially if you have someone that's really smart.

17. Rymosrac

Rymosrac Member

lurkfag poking his head out here

I'd pay a fairly absurd amount of money to support a commercial empires release. Especially if you'll sell a pack of several copies at a discount so I can harass my friends into getting into it.

Something like that will help quickly build a solid playerbase.

18. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

This vitriolic community would just make your friends, and any new players leave like, immediately. Not to mention the high learning curve and unintuitive game mechanics. Even forgetting all of that there isn't even a fucking tutorial.

19. petemyster

petemyster Member

But one would hope with a commercial release all those problems would be addressed.

20. ViroMan

comercial release will not make community much better... it would only dilute the current acidity by half a ph.