Commander voting

Discussion in 'Archive' started by vimacs, Jun 7, 2007.

1. vimacs

vimacs Member

Well, i noticed that it sometimes happens that someone gets voted who doesn't want to be com and hops out which leaves the team without a com for quite some time, this really shouldn't happen.
    My idea to fix this "problem" would be to have a little checkbox next to the name on the vote screen, and you can only be voted if you check it... i hope you get the idea, its late and im tired :-)
    What do you guys think about that?

2. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Someone has to do it, even if you don't like it (I don't, I'm awful) you're team is better off if someone does it.

This works out the best imo

3. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

I like your idea a lot vimacs. Makes sense to me... you have to enter the race to win the election...

4. Chahk

Chahk Member

First of all, there is absolutely no excuse when a team goes without a commander for a long time, since on the upper-left-hand side of your screen there is a new panel that shows everyone who the Commander is (or if there isn't one.) Second, this will not help the situation when nobody wants to comm, so you are trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

The commander voting system was put in place for one reason: to prevent griefers from hijacking the CV at the very beginning of a match, not for making sure a team has a commander.

5. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

He is trying to fix this problem: people automatically vote you into commander if they see a clan tag on you. There often are other people that want to be comm when I play but I always get voted in (unwillingly sometimes) because my ingame tag has "Cmdr." in it. :\

6. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

I get voted commander because...you know...

7. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

because you yell at teammates, call them noobs then win the game?

I don't like the check system, but I'm always relieved when I see a good commander join my team.

8. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

you know you like it... :D

I have to admit, I kinda miss the old days where headshot would go completely berserk and starts making crazy threats, I'm sure in some weird way it did raise our teams morale.

9. Stu

Stu BehälterGott

What do you mean "old days"? He still does. :P Although it IS hilarious.

10. FalconX

FalconX Developer

But... that simply isn't true. It's very nearly always been planned to have a system to vote in the commander, since bf42 days where running at the CV led to humorous commentary. The voting system exists to allow a team to pick who commands them... obviously. I can't speak to whether or not griefing sped up the process of coding that in, however.

Also, planned, in a sense.

11. Caelo

Caelo Member

I really have to vote for him some more :D

12. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

I also got two days ago to be a commander which I didn't like because I were quite tired because I played so late 3-4am. But I still got voted to be commander even I wasn't on my best at all at that time. Anyway I tried to do my best.

The point in this reply is that even you wouldn't like to be a commander, you'll quite surely be one when you have once showed that you are good in it and others have seen it. So if you don't want to be a commander then try to be a bad commander so people won't vote you again. :p

13. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

I wonder if I'll be voted commander when I'm able to play again.

14. Razorbud

Razorbud Coder

I like to vote for people I haven't seem comm before, to liven it up
    I think I voted for you that time Fin, and you did a fine job :p

15. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

Last game I played(least weekend) was one of those games that ended pretty bad for the other team.

But there is a lesson a to be learned.

The setting, emp_slaughter
    The time...really late :P

I was nf, with some CW members, 1 BSiD member(besides me) and a bunch of unknowns, and Cyber-Kun. we also might of had another JPL member, but I forget.

The other team.
    Some JPL, and a bunch of unknowns.

Now, we were have a pretty rough start. A jeep rush knocked out our original base(we killed the fucker later and rebuilt the refs :P) And I was multitasking researching, placing buildings, commanding troops, killing everyone my team missed(only 2 guys, which isn't that bad..but still... : / ), and tank driving when not in comm(we had 2 AFV's try and get us...they were disposed of ^_^).

Anyways, I was doing my usual kicking and screaming(but with no mic...it broke) Bust still, people could tell I was pissed Via CAPS and mispelling lol.

Now, what happened next was, Cyber-Kun gets pissed at me(obviously hasn't been under my command before) and joins the other team...now it's 4 against 6(later it's 5 vs 6)

Anyways, I do my usualy routine, and we manage to take and hold the 4/5's the map. Lots of great teamwork, and I also listened to players strategies and ideas who were on the ground, then gave them the go ahead depending the the severity and intelligent action put forth.

Next, we pushed them into the lower right corner of the map (you know the one :D ) and cyber-kun gets pissed and leaves the game.

That's right...my kicking and screaming is not for nothing. People I command know I do it for a certain reason, and I can usally win in the end. (I've won about 275 games out of 300...I've probably played over 500, but that's I can't remember the exact number. The ratio is still the same though)

So remember the lesson...Don't get pissed and leave my team when I'm pissed, and concerned about the stranglehold of the map, and how we're doing. I know what to do :P

Also, I would like to note that cyber-kun's actions do not reflect all of JPL. Some of you guys I can stand :D

16. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

That post together with your signature, makes it the most epic post to ever grace this forum.

17. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

Thank you, and now it is even more epic :D

18. Caelo

Caelo Member

lol :) maybe I should send you my mic :P

19. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

I'll be getting a new one soon so everyone can hear my awesome voice :D

20. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

I got voted out earlier today by some clan members for no reason. They basically ganged up against me so that one of them could be commander. Its shit like this that really makes me hate playing with clanners sometimes.