Commander suggestions

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Lazydog, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Lazydog

Lazydog Member

So I may not be the best guy making these suggestions, but from my experience here are a few things I like to see:

"No resource for research" notification.
    What it is: A notification message right in the middle of the screen (along with the female voice would be nice) tell the comm there's not enough resources for the research he's trying.
    Why? Because often time in the middle of giving targets to multiple location and building up the base, checking to see if the timer on the research started gets lost.
    Pros: No more commanders claiming he's researching when he doesn't realize it didn't start because of lack of res.
    Cons: None

"Attack this location" gives targets in a certain radius.
    What it is: rather than the current implementation of ctrl + a and selecting half the map, a comm just selects his units and clicks the general location to attack. When he selects there, it selects all enemy units as targets within a certain radius.
    Why? Because often times due to lag, or computer unable to handle the extreme zoomed out view to get lots of enemy targets, ctrl+a doesn't respond fast enough. Also it seems like the comm that can select more targets wins. By restricting the radius it can give commanders faster response time to give targets within a location, while at the same time make giving targets not overpowered because there still might be enemies outside that radius
    Pros: Faster comm giving targets
    Flanking is more of an option as enemy commanders might not be able to select both your main force and your flank in one radius.
    Commander targets no longer overpowered.

Neutral: Commanders can no longer spam all targets (unless they all fall within that radius)
    Cons: Commanders can no longer spam all targets

Mappers: Stop getting my com view stuck on your maps
    Optimize please. I spend half the game trying to figure the correct height I should be to go to a different part of the map. Yes, I can exit comm view and re-enter, but it makes it easier if I can just travel anywhere on the map without getting stuck.

CV engine to be swappable/upgradable.
    What is it: Let the cv swap out the standard engine with whatever engine researched
    Why? Because sometimes a scout's sticky stun just ruin your day. It would be counter to this attack if you can get biodiesel. Or get three-phase electric to outrun the enemy tank rush to get to your alternate base.
    Pros: Commanders can customize their cv for those just in case moments. (And just in case moments are usually life or death for the cv)
    Cons: Makes the cv overpowered? But that's why I only suggested engines and not armor :)

Remove notification in the chat of how many targets destroyed
    Why? Because it spams so much I can't see any normal chat!
    Pros: I can see normal chats, such as people asking for a ref
    Cons: No longer see how many targets remaining.

Commander yelling text
    What is it: Just like how admin can post messages right in the middle of everyone's screen, let commanders do that. Great for commanders who doesn't have a mic, or needs to draw everyone's attention. Good especially if main base is under attack.
    Pros: Commanders have a sure way that everyone would read whatever important thing they want.
    Cons: Commanders might spam it to a point where everyone ignores it no matter what he says.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  2. Maxaxle

Maxaxle Member

Then it's a fox-cried-wolf problem. But I think it would be better for it NOT to be in the center of the screen, but rather near a side, so crosshairs aren't blocked out.

Otherwise, I unofficially endorse this idea.

3. Lazydog

Lazydog Member

Yeah, when I said center, I mean like how admins of a server can display messages. It's centered, but well above the crosshair. Sorry for the confusion.

4. TheAmethystDuke

TheAmethystDuke Member

Rather at the top of the screen, because it will block the view if the commander wrote a wall of text.

5. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

We need gameplay issues fixed, not convenience.

6. Lazydog

Lazydog Member

we can't have both?

7. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

In this case, these issues do affect gameplay. When it's not fun to comm, you end up with people comming only reluctantly, which often makes the game worse for everyone.

Also, comms missing vital messages from the team because of target spam is a major gameplay issue. Standing in a key location spamming COMM REF A4 PLZ because the comm can't see you through all the stupid useless target killed spam is no fun.

I honestly think that these issues are a lot more important to Empires as a whole than the stupid fiddly details of mortars and rifleman guns.