Commander drones/repair bots

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Catface, Oct 9, 2015.

?

Despawn drones/bots after players join?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Mandatory joke option

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I'll say that if they just repaired/build and healed there's still a lot of value to engys. They can't revive or drop walls/ammo/turrets and do a bunch of other things engys can do. That might not be as horrible.

But that limit is too high and too expensive. In low pop games there isn't enough money for a 300 res destructible probably fragile things.

Oh catface, you just made me realized if you added drones like that you have something halfway decent for people to learn commanding.

2. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

So engi's wouldn't be able to build or repair buildings or repair tanks, repair or build cameras or heal players or do a squad heal. dropping a turret is useless if its not built right away or upgraded and built right away. and what about deconning enemy stuff?

what's all the other stuff your referring to lazy?
    Then the class should not be called engineer.

en·gi·neer

/ˌenjəˈnir/

noun

noun: engineer; plural noun: engineers

a person who designs, builds......

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  3. Catface

Catface Member

The engineers will not be obsolete or see its powers and abilities removed.

Instead, drones will augment low-pop matches and make them viable. They will be balanced in such a way as to be inferior to players, both in terms of speed and firepower. An individual player that is semi-competent will generally always be (far) superior to a drone.

4. Lazybum

I meant the drone, should have used a comma. I don't expect drones to do any of that. Just repair/build and possibly heal. This doesn't mean engys can't heal or repair, it's just drones can do it too.

5. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

The only thing I have to say is good luck.
    Because this is some wishful thinking.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  6. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

well ok that's sounds somewhat better

7. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I think so too but, you gota start with wanting something before you can attempt to make it happen.

8. BigTeef

Viroman I am not saying no, I said good luck.

I pitched an idea of putting wheels on turrets and giving them move commands via the command vehicle prompt and sent it to candles via a steam message and then a spectate discussion, and they attack anything that is in the turret radius.

It was dropped because the AI for the game is broke as fuck and has not been fixed and nobody saw the point in fixing it.

9. Spike

Spike Long Live The King!

I think it would be a good idea and give the commander more power to influence the battle instead of just babysitting the team.

10. ViroMan

I duno why we can't have a vehicle that deploys into a slightly jeep sized AT-turret. Drive your useless ( at the moment ) vehicle somewhere and then deploy into a turret.

11. Drag0wn

Drag0wn Member

I love this. It'd be a research item.

You could mount a 2 slot mg or maybe something new on a jeep. The mg would not be accessible while driving.

You'd drive where you want, and deploy your jeep like a Starcraft siege tank, build/e-build up the sandbagged hard point, and you have a low cost, immobile fire support vehicle turret thing.

I imagine a player being in it to aim it, not being an ai like a regular turret.

12. Lazybum

In most games with stationary mgs like battlefield, it's usually a mistake to use them. Empires with the funky invisible hit boxes it might not be so bad.

13. Catface

Catface Member

A wheeled NPC is more difficult to make than one that floats/hovers.

14. BigTeef

Well I said wheels because it would have an excuse on why it's moving.

What I had in my head was just the turret doing it typical spin animation and the turret model is just skitting across the ground and you see little wheels spinning at the bottom of the legs in the direction its going like an office chair.
    [​IMG]

The wheels are just there to provide visual as to why an immovable object is moving.

I don't know if you can, but just make the turrets be able to follow move commands. They already attack things in a radius so you don't need to touch that part.

And what you are thinking of as to like worker drones or something, just make a custom turret that can build stuff in its radius and give it a move command.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  15. Spike

Spike Long Live The King!

I think drones would make a great addition to the game, as someone who has commanded many times in the past it would be nice to have something commanders can control to build buildings and attack enemy infantry.

The amount of times i have commanded in pub games and realized i cant even get my team to do the most simple things like build/repair buildings or even kill enemy infantry.

I can not wait for them to be added good luck to tama and catface. everyone should give them our full support.

Also i hate to see people voting no and leaving negative comments these people are a cancer on the empires community and need to be cut out. These people most likely do not even play the game. Instead they just bitch on the forums all day and are not open the change. maybe you should try playing the game once and awhile, oh wait i forgot most of you cant play anyway because these people are utterly terrible at empires mod.

16. BigTeef

Well he could of enabled seeing the people who actually voted no or joke option.

17. ViroMan

It was enabled at first.

18. TheCreeper

TheCreeper Member

I don't think anyone is leaving negative comments about this. There has being nothing but good constructive comments about the idea and how it can be implemented in the game.

Maybe im imagining things? But I really don't see these negative comments in the thread.

You really should read the title of what the poll is for ("should bots despawn when players join"). The poll has nothing to do with whether bots should get implemented or not, just how they should be implemented. Maybe im cancer because I don't think bots should despawn when players join?

If you think that anyone who is opposed to the idea is cancer and should stop playing the game then god help us. We might as well not bother with discussing the idea then if we are just going to get called cancer for not being completely on-board 100%.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  19. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

I agree with thecreeper, people are entitled to voice their opinions negative or positive as long as it is constructive and not inflammatory. Calling people cancer because they disagree with your opinion and that's all it is, Is your opinion, is not a normal way to respond.
    If your that thinned skinned that you cannot tolerate anyone else opinions that differ from yours, you need to leave and take a break from empires and regroup.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  20. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Brave words coming from you of all people.