commander buys engineer buildables

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by blizzerd, Nov 28, 2009.

1. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

commanders can recycle or buy engineer buildings, they turn into commander type stuff from that point on and the engineers limit is reduced

for
    walls and turrets, pay the price it costs to build in comm vieuw

2. Demented

Demented Member

Not really fond of the idea. Admittedly, you'd have to be quite silly to mass level 3 turrets before the research is available, but it would probably still be done.
    Engineers can build turrets where the com can't, and the com can't place miniradars or cameras either.

3. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

It'd be nice for the comm to be able to buy your walls which are holding an important defense, thus freeing you to switch class.

yes, please

4. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

The only reason I could imagine this being hard is when the max turret limit is reached. Same with walls.

5. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

I suggested this a looong time ago. I would add the following cavats:

The comm should only be allowed to 'buy' things that they could have placed normally. Buying a level 2 or 3 requires that level of research, and they can't buy things that would put them over their building limit. Sensors can't be purchased, because the comm can't place those.

It's very badly needed on a few maps, where a key turret or wall can have the entire game riding on it -- if an engineer placed it, they suddenly can't change class or their team is screwed.

Additionally, this would make it easier for the team to place turrets overall. In effect, it lets the engineer 'suggest' a turret location, and spend the building-time in advance; the comm can then spend the res later to make it a comm turret. It just feels to me like it would make for much better and more natural cooperation between comms and engineers -- the engineer doesn't need to obey the comm like a robot and the comm doesn't need to give robotically detailed go-there commands to engineers; instead, they can just work together naturally, each doing what they find fun (the engineer placing their turrets wherever they want, and the comm purchasing whatever turrets they think should be permanent.)

6. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

I like this idea a lot. Most importantly for the walls; a long stretch of walls coming crumbling down, only because some engineer forgot about them for 3 seconds, can (has) make the game for the other team.

The oooooonly problem I can find is that people may not want the comm to buy it because they want the points from kills. I wouldn't care personally because thats not the reason I place turrets (mostly).

7. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Maybe you could have some kind of time limit for the walls to reduce cost - I mean, if you could only buy them after 5 minutes or so, you could make it so that walls around enemy comms wouldn't be bought and other things like that - the instant wall function of commander walls is what puts the prices up - you can wall in combat etc...so you could reduce the price it takes to buy engineer walls.

More concisely - if a wall is a needed wall, not a combat wall or around an enemy commander or something like that, you can reduce the price for buying it..because let's face it, wall prices are way too high to prevent abuse. You would do this by adding a time limit to when you can buy the wall.

Turrets would stay the same price though.

8. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

^ Agreed. I tend not to drop walls anymore because of the exorbitant price. Maybe 10res/wall?

9. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Hmm. If that's really a problem (and I'm not sure it is), you could allow the engineer to continue to get points from the purchased turret until they drop a new one.

10. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

That sounds reasonable to me.

11. @@@@Marcin@@@@

@@@@Marcin@@@@ Developer

What next, Empires Wall Stock market?

12. dra6o0n

dra6o0n Member

Replace Walls with Cement Barricades that are fixed in size and shape? Basically this kind of wall is much tougher than your usual walls, and can block tanks from ramming it. The only thing I find odd now is that enemy engineers can unbuild your stuff, and it's very strange now that I've came back to this game after all these years.

13. ViroMan

why not. if it can be built it can be un-built. Im sure I would have no problem taking your car apart... or your house. Sure this game doesn't use wrenches and nails but, it does use a miracle calc that can build and un-build anything using nanites(I duno what it uses really).

14. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Lightning bolts. now its like the starcraft scv thing, before it was a popcorn bag in a microwave.

15. Empty

Empty Member

It uses WELD

Nobody knows what WELD is.

16. ViroMan

Weld is from NS you dummy. :P