Commander Activated Abilities

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Falchion, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Rolsen

Rolsen Member

Mine Drop! Yes! God Yes! That Is So Sexy!!! Mine Drop!!!
    This was supposed to be 100% caps locked.... fail
    Btw i found NF shotgun on teh internets:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  2. RKB53

RKB53 Member

A commander being commanded is a failure

3. spellman23

spellman23 Member

Nice ideas. The thing I'm concerned about are some of the more end-game abilities. Granted, we could use something to help tip the balance of heavy+arty stalemates zomg whole tree researched, and I think those powers would fit in nicely.

We'd need a new counter to show team points in the display so that the players and the comm can keep track of what is available to fire off.

I assume all of these have a setup time of sorts. Instanta spawning mines isn't a good thing. Several of these could use similar animations, though. All the missiles are the same except for particle effect coloring.

The seismic bomb sounds kinda cool, but do we have a good way to show it happening? I'm thinking like the ripples in Giants: Citizen Kabuto or Sand King in DotA, but I haven't seen that type of effect in the Source Engine.

Tier 5 in general starts to sound like C&C super weapons. I'd rather we not go there. Limited res storage would be a better way to end a round personally, forcing one side to starve because they keep wasting res.

4. mgX

mgX Member

Cool ideas mostly Omneh, just fyi to the general public: DONT vote for him as commander :D

5. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

I fucking hate all of this.

It seems I'm the only one who sees how this will ruin the game.

Yes, it would be cool, yes it would be more fun to command, yes it would add more to the game...

It would be fun to DO these things, but what about the commander that is losing the game, suddenly sees some stupid fucking nuclear strike? It's ragequit 9000 in production.

This should never be implemented. NEVER.

Farming will take new form, this would kill the game.

I've removed shit that's completely overpowered and left something that would be OK of implementation.

6. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Nah I agree. I think the commander powers that nachos had were horrible. All of the sudden a nuke would kill everything in your base.. Or in a ticket battle we'd be losing the res war but be ahead on tickets and then they would just buy more.. Fucking horrible. Just cause other games do it doesn't mean it will work in emp.

7. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Then just add small powers, not anything with 9000 damage?

8. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

They would have to be ridiculously underpowered, since they can be activated anywhere.

Anywhere includes where your team is located at.

9. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I don't understand why the commander needs to stop doing what he should be doing to do something the team can already do.

If commanding is boring to you then don't do it.. I don't like RTS' games cause they are boring, same reason I don't command in empires.

10. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

The main problem is that that way of looking at things has resulted in, often, nobody comming, or one person comming reluctantly.

11. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Because it makes it more fun than commanding currently is? ;)
    Think of it... Why have more than 1 weapon in css?

12. Über Bonisseur de la Batt

Über Bonisseur de la Batt Member

Hmmm... what about:

-Satellite scan that could check for enemies on the map (for commander only)
    -Artillery strike
    -UAV that could scan an area for a few seconds
    -Dropping a healing/repairing/ammo crate on a location
    -Dropping a jeep

Owwait... wrong game :o

13. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

The commanders power is being able to drive around a heavily armored tank. He doesn't need to drop ammo or bombs or do all these things infantry already do.

It's fun to command if you win and obviously not if you lose.. I think this is more about not wanting to lose then being bored while commanding.

14. Falchion

Falchion Member

I think this thread is best for those who have experience with comming.

15. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

haha dude I commanded in like 5 matches just today and won all of them. Just cause I don't prefer to do it doesn't mean I don't know how.

I know all the aspects to this game and my points are valid.

edit: plus you colbert quoted a small part of my statement. I said "I don't like RTS games cause they are boring, same reason I don't command in empires."

I just don't find it fun, I'm not a bad commander. I have plenty of stuff to do while commanding and every power suggested here is something infantry can already do or will be OP. If you win you have fun if you lose you don't. Having comm powers won't make it more fun to command.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  16. o_O

o_O Member

Boomtanking is fun. Strategy and leading your team and setting up tankrushes is fun. The rest is busywork. Drop a ref, research something, drop a ref, give targets, give targets, give targets, research something... until you win or loose. You can try and micromanage your teammates, but if they are smart they don't need it, dumb and they won't listen.

Thats why every other game ends when the comm gets sticky stunned or walled in, skilled commanders get bored and go flip light tanks.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009